Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

Ivan

Arcane
also, why the alt?

Ash

Arcane
Because you're a bustling market with an interest in what I'm selling/offering. I failed to succeed last time, so reload, try again with a different approach. Just another problem that needs solving, I've been doing that with Deus Ex's code for the past three years, why not the codex?

The vast majority of DX fans have absolutely failed to see the significance of this mod. Individuals of the codex who gave the mod their time are a rare exception to that, and these individuals lended the support I desired. I may not like it, but here is one of probably few places it belongs.

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
You are going about it in the right way. That is more of a humble and reverent approach. You rightly don't look to fuck with what isn't broken so good on you. Your changes seemed well thought out when I played 7.x. Keep tracking as you are with this and you will get your recognition IMO.

Ash

Arcane
:salute:

If it's any kind of excuse, I was extremely frustrated when I first came here as I wasn't getting the support I needed to fulfill my design vision. Support that I've seen all other Deus Ex mods receive, and overwhelmingly so. Still in the same boat, we'll probably never have some much-needed hand models & related anims for holding miscellaneous items for instance, but it is what it is. By being forced to work alone I've inclined my skills considerably, at least.

Last edited:

Abhay

Augur
Ash / CyberP
Done!
Created the mod discussion page on GOG.
Here
Hoping the moderators there wont lock it, since that overrated DX Revision also has a discussion thread.
Unfortunately, I don't have a Steam account, but I'll try my best to convince someone else to create a mod discussion thread on Steam's DX forum too.

Your mod rocks!

Ash

Arcane
:brodex:

I recommend removing the underrated speech though. Sell it to them and create the illusion of popularity. On GoG especially, you definitely should have mentioned a lack of DRM given the recent Revision events. Either way, your effort is very much appreciated.

Last edited:

PeachPlumage

Cipher
Looking forward to returning to Deus Ex with GMDX. Keep up the incline, CyberP/Ash :cool:

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
At least now I don't have to scroll my ass off anymore because of your tags taking up tons of space whenever you post.
Still, I liked the changes/additions made in GMDX, and 8.0 looks even better than before. Can't wait until December.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Ash two visual things that maybe you could try fixing:

1. In widescreen resolutions the Gep Gun/Rocket Launcher/carried-body models all end prematurely before the border of the screen when optimal FOV is applied (I use 91, many people like to use more):
y0EqCVA.jpg
This can be fixed in-game with the following command:
set WeaponGepGun PlayerViewOffset (X6.00,Y=2.00,Z=0.00)
etc.
But you have to type all that each time you start the game.

The 2027 mod had actually implemented this fix by default. Can you do it too?

2. UI scaling for 1920x1080, even with kentie's scaling options, is shit. "x1" is too small and "x2" is too big. As i understand it the problem is that the UI can be scaled only to whole
amounts, so you can't put "x1,5" or something. My question is: could you implement different whole amounts for different UI elements? "x1" is fine for the main HUD elements in the main game screen and "x2" should be used for reading datacubes, conversations, inventory screen and other tabs, to make them easy to read.

Ash

Arcane
Ash
1. In widescreen resolutions the Gep Gun/Rocket Launcher/carried-body models all end prematurely before the border of the screen when optimal FOV is applied (I use 91, many people like to use more):

The 2027 mod had actually implemented this fix by default. Can you do it too

Already fixed since v6 or so, but only up to ~100FOV. Going further than that model culling is still visible.

2. UI scaling for 1920x1080, even with kentie's scaling options, is shit. "x1" is too small and "x2" is too big. As i understand it the problem is that the UI can be scaled only to whole
amounts, so you can't put "x1,5" or something. My question is: could you implement different whole amounts for different UI elements? "x1" is fine for the main HUD elements in the main game screen and "x2" should be used for reading datacubes, conversations, inventory screen and other tabs, to make them easy to read.

The options are to have the UI scale with resolution (which can result in very large UI elements), or not scale at all with the Otpfix (very small at high res). To fix the problem with very high resolutions one would have to use the non-scaling option and then take all the necessary UI textures themselves and double the size, plus code a shit load of stuff to make sure it is all as intended. Bit too much work for a somewhat niche problem.

On the bright side, GMDX uses larger font for the following: readables (datacubes, newspapers etc), ammo counter & aug F key shortcuts. If that is not enough, I think your only solution is to downscale your res to 1366x376 or whatever unfortunately.

Bear in mind this is all as I understand it. I haven't looked too hard into this specific issue so I may be missing relevant information.

The "revision framework" did something for UI scaling, but I don't believe it tackled your specific problem. May be worth checking out though.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
1366x768, 16:9, 90FOV would be better off hardcoded for capable hardware (not really), because any other way just results in problems.

zeitgeist

Magister
Does anyone know how exactly did Revision manage to get on Steam? What hoops were there to jump through? Was the "Steam only" restriction part of some official or unofficial deal or something?

I'm certain a Steam release would do wonders for GMDX, but from what I'm seeing, there isn't even a DX Steam Workshop page, and Revision seems to be the one single DX mod on Steam, which is rather perplexing.

Dev_Anj

Learned
Does anyone know how exactly did Revision manage to get on Steam? What hoops were there to jump through? Was the "Steam only" restriction part of some official or unofficial deal or something?

Here lies your answer: http://www.offtopicproductions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=112776#p112776

Well John in the team had some previous connections with Square Enix and Eidos Montréal as he was community manager for one of their forums a while back. We started discussing a possible Steam release with some of his contacts and off it went
icon_smile.gif
We actually timed the release with the sale to somewhat lessen the blow for people that doesn't own the game on Steam.

So yeah, ultimately it was a short sighted deal that only worked because they had someone who had contacts in SE and that only benefited SE in the end.

Ash

Arcane
I'm unsure if it was short sighted. 100,000 people own it in Steam alone in what, a month or whatever? And for what it's worth, the publisher co-operation will help in their CVs too.

I'm certain a Steam release would do wonders for GMDX

Yeah, sadly it would. It'd give people something to bitch about, which I've noticed they LOVE to do, and thus raise awareness considerably, in addition to the "official" endorsement of a corporation that likes to destroy my beloved favorite game series. Not happening. This one is pure art form advancement. Leave all my future projects to be shameful sellouts out of necessity.

Last edited:

Dev_Anj

Learned
I don't think it will go up much though, Deus Ex mods appeal to a niche by their nature and even if they get a lot of publcity their audience will still be limited. But hopefully GMDX will be rightfully recognized by the press and Deus Ex fans for how good it is after its release.

I want to know one thing, how is the rifle class balanced against the other weapon classes? The rifle class is pretty versatile and was hands down the best weapon class in the original game. You definitely did some adjustments to encourage other weapon classes, but more could still be done. It gives a good combination of long range attacks (sniper rifle), close range rapid fire attacks alongside explosives and EMP attacks (assault rifle) and short range high damage attacks (automatic shotgun, sawed off shotgun). I'm pretty sure that regardless all the classes will be well thought out and hopefully enjoyable to play, I'm just curious.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I want to know one thing, how is the rifle class balanced against the other weapon classes?
When I was playing in v7, rifles stiil seemed very good but it seemed to be rifles are mostly the same as in vanilla in terms of power level.

The other weapon classes have been buffed. Pistols have armor piercing bullets, crossbows have stun arrows. Heavy weapons can be reduced in size you can carry all of them with little issue.

Ash

Arcane
I want to know one thing, how is the rifle class balanced against the other weapon classes?
When I was playing in v7, rifles stiil seemed very good but it seemed to be rifles are mostly the same as in vanilla in terms of power level.

The other weapon classes have been buffed. Pistols have armor piercing bullets, crossbows have stun arrows. Heavy weapons can be reduced in size you can carry all of them with little issue.

Yeah, that's the approach.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Love the changes to skills and the addition of perks. The sneak skill with its effect on security cameras (annoying in vanilla, now potentially deadly with them alerting nearby enemies) looks really appealing.

The enviromental suits looks like they are worth it to bother with now, with the silly timer changed to durability.

Turning on the Power Circulator everytime you use an augmentation was a needless bother in vanilla, so I'm glad to see that changed to automatic.

Are the Microfibral Muscle and Combat Speed augmentations automatic as well? They look passive in the video.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Yeah they are passive. They have a much greater impact on the gameplay that way and it suits the augs in the context of the abilities they provide. There's 3 passive augs (always on, no energy drain), 3 automatic (act when needed and use bioenergy), all the rest are active.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Moddb MOTY awards 2015 voting has begun. Consider voting for GMDX, which can be done via the mod's main page: http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx

Totally don't expect to win out of all the mods out there, especially since few know of the existence of GMDX or recognize its significance, but making it past the first round of voting would raise awareness for the mod considerably.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom