Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

HansDampf

Arcane
Sometimes I couldn't even tell whether some detail or secret has been added in GMDX or if it's alaways been there and I just never noticed.

But the best thing about GMDX is hardcore mode.

anus_pounder

Arcane
BROS I AM HAVING TOO MUCH FUN WITH DEUS EX GMDX.

Figured I'd try out a bit of GMDX last night. Next thing I know, its afternoon the next day and I'm knocking out UNATCO troopers in Hell's Kitchen before Simons orders them to turn on me.

Ash, if you have a steam account and want some shit, hit me up and I'll get it for you no problem. Dis game, dis mod.

:shredder:

Ash

Arcane
Donations can be made via paypal on the mod's website.

Salute for supporting incline.

KlauZ

Educated
In order from most to least:

Tiptoeing
More gameplay variety with new skills, perks, powerthrows, ammo types and physics
Stealth-related AI - Flares, camera beeping, knocked out people and all that
BioCell-dependent equipment
Better "gun feel"
More convinient aug usage
Reworked scripted combat sequences (like like Police vs NSF)

Dont care too much:
Combat AI. Maybe its my combat style, but i didn`t feel much difference, even with new enemy abilities like invis.
Game balance. Vanilla had ridiculous amount of tools and OP Trained Hacking, but otherwise i was swimming and breathing through aqualungs just fine, i have a feeling that you overthink some things a little.

Arguable:
One thing i still think biomod did better is augmentation power usage. It was more consistent to the lore. Throwing 200kg boxes and hitting people with power of a freight train isn`t using any power, but running really silent does? That looks strange.

Hate:
HDTP pistol model. Other things i can overlook, but that is just painful to look at.

Another bug?: When troops attack your meeting with Illuminati guy in Hells Kitchen, they magically know your position on a map even if you use cloak, almost impossible for stealth players. At first i thought that might be a feature, but than it happened again when you`re destroying a ship, where it doesn`t make sense at all.

Suggestion: If biocell nanosword i hard to make, what if it used Taser charges?

Far-fetched:
I`m not a photoshop wizard, so sadly i cannot help with mosaic texture, but i still want to fix at least some of NV and HDTP related problems, but i really dont know anything about DX modding. I`ve read that NV uses some fancy packing technique and u cannot just take textures out and the pack them back. Is that true? What do i do then?

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Combat AI. Maybe its my combat style, but i didn`t feel much difference, even with new enemy abilities like invis.

Say what? Combat AI is more improved than stealth AI, as it was far more flawed.

Game balance. Vanilla had ridiculous amount of tools and OP Trained Hacking, but otherwise i was swimming and breathing through aqualungs just fine, i have a feeling that you overthink some things a little.

You can never overthink anything. :)

Arguable:
One thing i still think biomod did better is augmentation power usage. It was more consistent to the lore. Throwing 200kg boxes and hitting people with power of a freight train isn`t using any power, but running really silent does? That looks strange.

Throwing aug now drains bioenergy per throw in v9.0.

Additionally, there is no conflict with lore. Vanilla had passive augs: the IFF and Infolink augmentations.

Another bug?: When troops attack your meeting with Illuminati guy in Hells Kitchen, they magically know your position on a map even if you use cloak, almost impossible for stealth players. At first i thought that might be a feature, but than it happened again when you`re destroying a ship, where it doesn`t make sense at all.

Vanilla. I don't intend to change it. The ability to go invisible on demand is extreme. It being ignored by AI in the combat state is something that while illogical from a realism POV, makes sense for game balancing.

Far-fetched:
I`m not a photoshop wizard, so sadly i cannot help with mosaic texture, but i still want to fix at least some of NV and HDTP related problems, but i really dont know anything about DX modding. I`ve read that NV uses some fancy packing technique and u cannot just take textures out and the pack them back. Is that true? What do i do then?

Download the New Vision SDK and read its documentation.

I've said this since the very beginning, but imagine how truly great GMDX could have been with an army of artists and such at my disposal. 90% of the decline-enabling Deus Ex fanbase instead directed their support and attention elsewhere.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Additionally, there is no conflict with lore. Vanilla had passive augs: the IFF and Infolink augmentations.
Yeah but I imagine those are passive because the energy cost is negligible. Augmenting physical abilities is another story.

Vanilla. I don't intend to change it. The ability to go invisible on demand is extreme. It being ignored by AI in the combat state is soemthing that while illogical from a realism POV, makes sense for game balancing.
The thing is, they know your position right away and never lose it. I climbed to the top of a building and they kept circling around it to aim at whatever border I was standing on.

The funny part is that I gamed it by making them all stand on top of the smoke coming out of one of the sewer entrances, so they all got incapaciated and I popped their moles one by one.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Vanilla. I don't intend to change it. The ability to go invisible on demand is extreme. It being ignored in the combat state is one thing that while illogical from a realism POV, makes sense for game balancing.
Can't you make the troops in this case not start in combat state but rather just make them aggressively move to search the building?

Ash

Arcane
Even it can be argued that passive augs (like say, energy shield) do conflict with lore, I'd happily ignore the problem in the name of game balance and a much better aug system.

Jaedar said:
Can't you make the troops in this case not start in combat state but rather just make them aggressively move to search the building?

Nah. Firing your gun while cloaked, or cloaking in combat should be overridden/ignored. Invisibility on demand is just too extreme and I appreciate that old school standard of ignoring it in combat.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Even it can be argued that passive augs (like say, energy shield) do conflict with lore, I'd happily ignore the problem in the name of game balance and a much better aug system.

Jaedar said:

Nah. Firing your gun while cloaked, or cloaking in combat should be overridden/ignored. Invisibility on demand is just too extreme and I appreciate that old school standard of ignoring it in combat.
I don't think you understand what we're saying. They all already spawn in combat and tracking the player position.

Ash

Arcane
Oh right, the scripted event in NYC.

Yeah, maybe I'll so something about that as it is unfair on stealth players.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Well to be fair it's not much of an issue in terms of challenge since you don't have to fight them, just rush to the helicopter. It's just strange that they got a beacon on you right from the start.

Ash

Arcane
Yeah. Maybe I'll track player's playstyle. If stealth, spawn them in searching. Else vanilla. It's a great fight for combat players and good that they are scripted to go straight for you relentlessly, but bullshit for stealth.

Black

Arcane
Something that remained from vanilla, what's up with sitting enemies being weirdly resistant? You can KO unsuspecting commando with a baton (with untrained low tech) but an unsuspecting sitting grunt will take more than that.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Something that remained from vanilla, what's up with sitting enemies being weirdly resistant? You can KO unsuspecting commando with a baton (with untrained low tech) but an unsuspecting sitting grunt will take more than that.
I think it fucks up their hitbox, or we hit the chair instead.

Ash

Arcane
Back of the head should do the job just fine for sitting enemies in GMDX. Just got to be careful to not hit the massive collision cylinder of the thing they are sitting on.

KlauZ

Educated
Combat AI is more improved than stealth AI
They all are nice little changes, but in overall chaotic and fastpaced combat most of them aren`t noticable. Except melee, yeah, melee`s cool. Too bad player don`t have it.

you don't have to fight them, just rush to the helicopter.
You also may want to save smuggler.

Anyway, combat mode in the beginning of NY event is ok, you got busted, tough luck. But i`ve got invisible, ran to the sewers, got out on the different side of map, again, invisible, and they are still tracking. Pretty sure this isn`t a regular combat behavior. Maybe they dont go out of this state because another guy is still fighting them or something?

Ash

Arcane
Combat AI is more improved than stealth AI
They all are nice little changes, but in overall chaotic and fastpaced combat most of them aren`t noticable. Except melee, yeah, melee`s cool. Too bad player don`t have it.

Nah, you just didn't notice them over vanilla. There's heaps of fixes and new behavior. Not everything is listed on the website. With v9.0 they'll be on a plane of near-perfection.

Try going back to vanilla, you'll notice it then.

Black

Arcane
I remember enemies running in circles in vanilla even if they were in front of you. That was fun.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Went deep into new playthrough, so far saw few changes in surroundings. Props for putting baton nearby base in 1st level, make whacking easier.
Anyone played with increased number of enemies (one of the hardcore options)? Share impression?

Ash

Arcane
Black: Yeah there's much less running around like brainless retards. Speaking of, the last notable thing in that regard has been addressed:

this shit no longer happens any more in v9.0. AI attempting to run past to a pathnode behind you in combat, then running into walls trying to get around. Small, but highly significant. If they bump into you, they will go straight to shooting/meleeing.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
What about dealing with crates in different way? Say - 2027 mod iirc let you loot bodies by opening their inventory and picking what you want so you won't pick knives anymore (there is also button to pick body).
Something to deal with such archaic game design;)
tv64eGT.png
got this when tried to load the game.
I was in the middle of my current playthrough but starter new game to test overwhelming odds, to see how enemy numbers get more. Saw no difference(?) after quick jogging around island, loaded previous game and this happened.

Last edited:

Momock

Augur
Ash said:
Throwing aug now drains bioenergy per throw in v9.0.
Making this aug a "passive" one was a very good idea, but it still should consume (very little) energy with time while you're carrying heavy objets (the ones you couldn't carry without the aug). After all it consumed energy with time in vanilla. I like it as it is now since I use it a lot, but I feel a little guilty each time I do...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom