Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

Dev_Anj

Learned
In case people are curious about what's holding back the new animations, here's the issue:

Ash:
These are professional quality mo-capped animations converted to vertex using a variety of software and are ready to be exported to the correct format (.3ds to .dx). They will be added to the vanilla models. We've hit a snag in the import/export process & seek help from those that know their DX/unreal animation & import. If you haven't the knowledge but know someone that does, please contact them and draw their attention to this request. What immediately needs to be known is the whereabouts of DX format exporters.

The animator:

but is it possible to use 3ds2de if we want to import (merge) those new animations into the old animset? In this case GM_Jumpsuit.
For instance 3ds2de requires first frame of animation to be named XXX01 while WOTGreal exports T-Pose as XXX00.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think 3ds2de is usable only as an importer of NEW animations/models into the game - not for modifying of the ones from original DX.

More details here: http://www.offtopicproductions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=12177

I hope anyone who is familiar with editing animations of Unreal engine games here can chime in to help.

zowie

Literate
Just a few notes:
There are still some typos here and there. I think the email system had some, but this could be passed off as human error. Remember, it's is a contraction of it is whereas its is the possessive form.
I think allied AI bots go hostile sometimes if they are shot by an enemy. Must think you damaged them. Happened numerous times on the first mission for me.
Hardcore mode saving, while being more realistic, is still abusable. You don't have to ever use a green save box since you just need to enter a screen transition for it to autosave for free. Perhaps limit the amount of times you can do this or remove it entirely? Would be annoying to lose progress to a crash, I would have to admit though.

Ash

Arcane
Just a few notes:
There are still some typos here and there. I think the email system had some, but this could be passed off as human error. Remember, it's is a contraction of it is whereas its is the possessive form.

The email system and its contents are not modified in GMDX. I refuse to touch the game's writing beyond the descriptive text of game systems. Even if I were a writer by trade it'd be a very controversial decision to do so as it is Deus Ex.

Kontra

Educated
Hardcore mode saving, while being more realistic, is still abusable. You don't have to ever use a green save box since you just need to enter a screen transition for it to autosave for free. Perhaps limit the amount of times you can do this or remove it entirely? Would be annoying to lose progress to a crash, I would have to admit though.
Yeah you can abuse it, i do it sometimes. Liberty island has no transitions though i think its the only one. Also theres some maps like that whole tunnel section before the airfield where the transit points were pretty far away, or the warehouse map where you have to go all the way back and jump across two fences just to save... I dunno sometimes its useful to have something to fall back on if you have to go somewhere IRL or if you wanna try some crazy stunt in the game. But if you really want to you can just turn them off in the options. You prbably missed it, go to GMDX options and then hit advanced options. Its at the bottom.

Hey Ash i have a question. Speed augmentation and run silent both give you falling damage resistance but its worded differently in the description. So which one is better for falling or are they the same.

Ash

Arcane
Hey Ash i have a question. Speed augmentation and run silent both give you falling damage resistance but its worded differently in the description. So which one is better for falling or are they the same.

Same.

It was an idea inspired by Invisible War believe it or not, and a necessity to balance the two.

Kontra

Educated
Ok thanks.
I like that you added falling resistance to Silent Running but maybe you shouldve removed it for the Speed aug cause its a pretty useful aug with just improved running and jumping. Theres a use for it in practically every map. Silent running OTOH is cool but in the end you can always just sneak normally past the badguys... really why would you run. But with this falling bonus its pretty tempting. Especially if youre a stealth man you can combine it with the "silent landing" perk and become a ninja. But since the speed aug has it also, why would you take SR?

Ash

Arcane
There are more changes to the two augs than just that. One change is crouch-walking with speed enhancement activated now produces footstep sounds, no longer rendering silent running obsolete.

Silent running OTOH is cool but in the end you can always just sneak normally past the badguys... really why would you run.

That's kinda like saying you can melee bad guys normally, why would you get the combat speed aug or upgrade your low-tech skill.
Vanilla that would have been a legitimate question what with the 100 damage Dragon's Tooth Sword, lack of low-tech perks and no speed benefits of the aug mind you.

Last edited:

Kontra

Educated
Yeah its definitely more useful but still not as good as Speed even if you go for a full stealth run.. mAybe its just me. I dunno it doesnt really make sense that Speed gives you this ability to survive a high fall. Okay you can jump higher but why do you take less damage?
Also removing it would make Speed more hardcore. You can jump across some platforms but, you better do it right because if you fall your dead.

Ash

Arcane
That's borderline too hardcore. Would be very controversial, and responsible for a lot of deaths. The falling damage in Deus Ex without the aug is very punishing (as it should be). At most I'd consider a nerf of the falling damage reduction capability of the the aug, but even that I'm not confident in.

If you know a bit about programming then feel free to upload it as an optional community-made add-on though, or perhaps I will: http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx/addons

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Is this the best Deus Ex mod bar none for fnas looking to replay this great game?

Does it offer improved graphics, rpg elements etc?

Ninjerk

Arcane
Yeah its definitely more useful but still not as good as Speed even if you go for a full stealth run.. mAybe its just me. I dunno it doesnt really make sense that Speed gives you this ability to survive a high fall. Okay you can jump higher but why do you take less damage?
Also removing it would make Speed more hardcore. You can jump across some platforms but, you better do it right because if you fall your dead.
The kind of stress that would necessarily be put on your legs to run that fast and jump that far in the first place should be able to absorb a similar type of stress when falling.

Ash

Arcane
Is this the best Deus Ex mod bar none for fnas looking to replay this great game?

"In conclusion this must be the one of most impressive mods done to Deus ex ever, if not The Mod one must have to really experience the game as it was intended."
-gbamabougou

"This is easily one of the best mods for any game I've ever played."
-jcelios

"I can honestly say that GMDX represents the definitive Deus Ex experience."

-Wildcat Phoenix

"Best Deus Ex mod ever released."
-Silenc3r

"GMDX is, essentially, the ultimate Deus Ex experience."
-jose21crisis

"This is easily one of the best mods ever made for the original Deux Ex."
-rubbalubbadubdub

Plenty more where that came from in the other reviews: http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx/reviews/page/2
Similar words have also been posted in this thread.

Sadly, being "the best" doesn't get you anywhere in my realm, and pushing forward game design in an already legendary game and perfecting + advancing the formula like the sequels/prequels/mobile games never can is not worth the time of the gaming press or wider fanbase.

Does it offer improved graphics, rpg elements etc?

See a notable portion of what GMDX offers in the feature demonstration video series:

Part 1: Artificial Intelligence: https://youtu.be/rKHPtfammNY
Part 2: Player-Controlled Mechanics: https://youtu.be/ny0wLI-ZWOY
Part 3: Simulated Systems and Effects: https://youtu.be/lsOoTF5TL0Y
Part 4: Weaponry: https://youtu.be/T-bSLkfzWYc
Part 5: RPG Systems: https://youtu.be/yrIPhQBRMfs
Part 6: Level Design & Graphics: https://youtu.be/bpzXECyTQJ0
Part 7: Audio Design & UI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS-qj6iT-aQ
Part 8: Preferences & Misc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huDkZIzrZHs

Last edited:

Kontra

Educated
Sadly, being "the best" doesn't get you anywhere in my realm, and pushing forward game design in an already legendary game and perfecting + advancing the formula like the sequels/prequels/mobile games never can is not worth the time of the gaming press or wider fanbase.

Ash dont beat yourself up over that. As others have said the mod will get its recognition in due time. Until then you just have to keep your chin up
deusex-top.jpg

Now carry on soldier

Kontra

Educated
The kind of stress that would necessarily be put on your legs to run that fast and jump that far in the first place should be able to absorb a similar type of stress when falling.

I guess so but ninjas for example arent super build up, i think they just learn some techniques like weight distribution or something.

Kontra

Educated
Theres a bug with the UMP gun where it doesnt show the silencer on the model... I know its not a big deal but is there anyway to fix this?

Kontra

Educated
Vandenberg base.,.. I said it before and ill say it again: theres not enough fucking lockpicks. If only i had one just one everything would turn out differently. Instead it was a load reload trial and error fucking nightmare. I swear there were sections on this map that i replayed over fifty times, at least. In the end i didnt even had to look at the monitor i just knew where everything was and the series of exact steps i had to take to get to that one moment where i always died no matter what until somehow somehow the stars aligned and a spiderbot turned his back at me so i could fuck him in the ass with a LAW rockket. It was the worst thing i ever experienced and if someone asks me whats the worst thing that ever haappened to me ill say just that, Vandenberg air force fucking base from Deus Ex was the worst thing that ever happened. But its over i beat it.

Kontra

Educated
EDIT

Just to be clear. This has nothing to do with the mod, its all on me and my mistakes. I fucked up. I wasted all my lockpicks on shit in Paris when there was no need. I wasted all my money so i couldnt save. I paid a 1000 bucks to some guy for a code for a safe that im never gonna see anyway cause guess what you cant go back to Paris. For some reason i thought you can go back... Dumbfuck.
But its the one thing that sucks in DX tbh. Why cant i go back!? In NY from Hells Kitchen you could always go back to Battery park, right up until you finish with the warehouse and return to HQ. And why not, theres a train station there and a train. Thats how you got there in the first place so why wouldnt you be able to use it again. That was great, it added a real sense of connectednes to the maps.
But in Paris when you finish the Cathedral mission you go to a metro and this being Deus Ex youd expect to be able to get on a train and take care of some unfinished business you had there. But no you cant go back. And to make it worse when you talk to the guy thats supposed to take you to see Everett you get two responses and both lead to the same fucking thing - you go see Everett. Thats so anti Deus Ex that it hurts.

But like i said none of this is the mods fault. Its just the way the cookie crumbled.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Huh? I don't know how much GMDX has changed in Vandenberg, but in vanilla DX you don't have to use any lockpicks/tools for the crucial locks. All mandatory keys/codes can be obtained by the player. This is the case in all of vanilla deusex actually.

Kontra

Educated
Its one of the two boxes where you need to punch a code to activate the friendly bots, then they deal with the hostile ones outside the base. Dont get me wrong i like how he changed it like that, different builds lead to really different outcomes. Its just that this time it lead straight to hell. But its gotta be that way if its hardcore difficulty there has to be a possibility to fail completely.

Ash

Arcane
Paris has points of no return/is inaccessible by train because:

TONG
The government has restricted access to the metro. You'll have to get around on
foot.

Plus the case of martial law and blockades, which goes some way to justify it.

Its one of the two boxes where you need to punch a code to activate the friendly bots, then they deal with the hostile ones outside the base. Dont get me wrong i like how he changed it like that, different builds lead to really different outcomes. Its just that this time it lead straight to hell. But its gotta be that way if its hardcore difficulty there has to be a possibility to fail completely.

You have to find an alternate solution, which isn't easy for some builds.
I may simply remove this requirement or make the panel breakable. It is a bit inconsiderate to some playstyles, even if there are many alternate solutions.

Last edited:

Kontra

Educated
TONG
The government has restricted access to the metro. You'll have to get around on
foot.

Yeah Tong says that but later a guard at the metro says "theres still a few trains running" something like that. It doesnt matter but really you should be able to go back. How hard would that be to implement, to add a transit point at the metro? Is it possible?

You have to find an alternate solution, which isn't easy for some builds.
I may simply remove this requirement or make the panel breakable. It is a bit inconsiderate to some playstyles, even if there are many alternate solutions.

No dont do it man. The design is solid, its how it should be. Throughout the game ive been in situations when there was an obstacle like that dozens of times and just like you said there was always an alternate solution. Always. The problem here was that i left Paris pretty much 2/3 unexplored thinking i could go back... as a result after the Cathedral i was so drained in resources, i was dropped at Vandenburg basically naked. Really on hardcore exploration is a must. So dont change anything, its perfect as it is. Sorry i raged so much... But man was i pissed. A game didnt piss me off like that in a long long time. At one point i even chewed on my mouse...:lol: Now it has bitemarks everywhere. I should write a review on moddb that says somethin like: this mod made me chew my mouse 10/10

Ash

Arcane
No dont do it man. The design is solid, its how it should be. Throughout the game ive been in situations when there was an obstacle like that dozens of times and just like you said there was always an alternate solution. Always. The problem here was that i left Paris pretty much 2/3 unexplored thinking i could go back... as a result after the Cathedral i was so drained in resources, i was dropped at Vandenburg basically naked. Really on hardcore exploration is a must. So dont change anything, its perfect as it is. Sorry i raged so much... But man was i pissed. A game didnt piss me off like that in a long long time. At one point i even chewed on my mouse...:lol: Now it has bitemarks everywhere. I should write a review on moddb that says somethin like: this mod made me chew my mouse 10/10

Haha. :)

I should note for readers: this experience is exclusive to hardcore mode (and it shouldn't even be that hard, but Kontra dived right into that mode first playthrough, which I respect). Play on normal/realistic you get all the simulation enhancements, graphics tweaks, AI intelligence, new mechanics, RPG upgrades etc without being pushed too much harder than you do in the vanilla game. Don't desire a challenge much at all? There's easy mode, which I also gave notable focus in to cater to a wider variety of players. after all, this is what difficulty options are for and in the vanilla game they didn't do very much at all. Challenge levels was but one design focus of many. The goal was to make Deus Ex a better game in every way I possibly could without detracting from the experience in any way.

Yeah Tong says that but later a guard at the metro says "theres still a few trains running" something like that. It doesnt matter but really you should be able to go back. How hard would that be to implement, to add a transit point at the metro? Is it possible?

It's possible, but is it worth the effort and should it be done? That I'm not sure. For gameplay reasons, yes it should. For simulation reasons, probably not as everything will be exactly as you left it before. I could script some new events, but even then...plus development is supposed to be officially ceased aside from patch support and localization.

Also, where abouts are you desiring to return to? Which map/s?

Also yes, on hardcore exploration is very important, although not mandatory to account for ghosting/non-lethal.

Last edited:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hey just downloaded this after seeing it was released, so far 8500+ downloads so it is looking good! After watching a video of Spector playing Deus Ex I am itching for a replay and while Revision seems like an pretty overhaul with redone levels and graphics this is more like an proper update. The AI changes look wonderful, still not sold on perks but will certainly give it a try
Btw fucking Norton keeps flagging and erasing the file, normaly it ask for permision but this it erases straight away even after I used the exclude option

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom