Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gjallarhorn

Pots Talos

Horizon's End
Developer
https://horizonsend.com/games/gjallarhorn

Now that I finally finished the trailer I figured it's time I posted about my next game here.
I wasn't sure if I should post this in the JRPG forums because it isn't a standard JRPG like my first game "The Great Gaias" but it will still have JRPG elements.

About This Game:

Set two years following the events of The Great Gaias, this stand-alone installment in the world of the Codex Eternal showcases the circumstances surrounding the northern Osirian Empire and their acceptance of a new world order ravaged by war and betrayal.

Gjallarhorn aims to connect the playstyle of the D20 Ruleset and the JRPG in what we are calling a Western Fusion JRPG. Weaving a world where every non-player character has a routine and schedule, we hope to bring a completely unique and customizable experience with every playthrough utilizing choice and consequence.

Story:

Two years following the Second Great War, the Osirian Empire wrestles with finding a new ruler. While each faction sees a different future for their people, decisions are made by strength, not through ideals, and only the dead have seen the end of war.

Lost in a strange land you know nothing about, you must forge a destiny in this harsh environment. Every choice has a consequence that could shape the course of history in the coming struggle. Will you pick a cause in the coming conflict or venture out on your own to seek fortune, fame and glory?

Features:
  • Choice and Consequence Playstyle
  • (4) Main Storylines with branching endings
  • (6) Main Characters with interweaving plots
  • Fully Customizable Character including attributes and personality
  • (16) Pieces of Customizable and Craftable Equipment
  • D20 Combat and Overworld System with Turn-Based JRPG Elements
  • Job Point and Class System
  • Advanced Skill Equip System
  • Day / Night Cycle with NPC Schedules
  • Multi-tiered Dungeons with Challenging Puzzles
  • Learn an Ancient Language
  • Fame, Reputation and Karma Systems
  • Charisma based choices and Skills
  • Cohort and Taming System allows almost any character or animal to join your party
  • Bounty Board and Job Quests
Our Discord
https://discord.gg/tGy577j

Last edited by a moderator:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How will you be handling the leveling? A lot of reviews talk about your firat game being very grindy.

Everytging so far sounds interesting.

Pots Talos

Horizon's End
Developer
How will you be handling the leveling? A lot of reviews talk about your first game being very grindy.

Everything so far sounds interesting.

The leveling rate in Gjallarhorn is still being tweaked. Currently, experience is split depending on party size so soloing will level you faster but is more dangerous, also questing and bounty hunting grant more experience than just grinding trash in the wilderness. Player level cap is 10.
Raising your class levels is faster, so by the time your core level is 3 you will probably have mastered around 3-4 classes. Other ways to gain experience is from passing skill checks like lockpicking, stealing, taming, haggling, passing saving throws (overworld), ect...

Now just to comment on The Great Gaias and some reviews saying it is grindy. It really isn't grindy at all, I specifically balanced experience gain by encounter rate to the next boss. So, if the player doesn't explore anything and just goes from A to B they should get into enough encounters to be at the proper level for the next boss. Now, I did make the game harder than the average JRPG so this is probably why people think they have to grind to beat things but you really don't. Just take a look at gamefaqs there are two guides of a person soloing the game with one character. Also, most people don't utilize pre-buffing before bosses which can help immensely when fighting them.

Pots Talos

Horizon's End
Developer
Phase 1 of our closed Beta is almost done and we are preparing for Phase 2.
If anyone is interested in joining the Closed Beta for Gjallarhorn join our discord and let me know. I've updated the main post with a link to our discord channel.

Pots Talos

Horizon's End
Developer
Phase 3 of the Gjallarhorn closed beta is now live. At this point we don’t expect many issues pertaining to game systems, so the focus of phase 3 and beyond will be story thread continuity and game balance. Because Gjallarhorn has a choice and consequence-based story design we want to make sure every story thread is tied up nicely.

This will be the last chance to join the closed beta so if you are interested, please join our discord and private message me (Pots Talos). Phase 4 will only be made available to people who are currently testers and those who join up for phase 3.

Pots Talos

Horizon's End
Developer
After two long delays we are finally ready to announce our official release date for Gjallarhorn, January 10th, 2023.
We were really hoping to get the game out in November of this year but due to personal obligation Gjallarhorn had to take a backseat for some time. We are still thinking about releasing an early access version sometime during November, if so, I’ll make another announcement letting everyone know.

To celebrate this announcement we are holding a week long sale for The Great Gaias at 50% off on Steam!

Pots Talos

Horizon's End
Developer
Early Access is out now.
Official release is still set for January 10th, 2023 but if you want to get in early to help find an remaining issues, now is the time.

Pots Talos

Horizon's End
Developer
Gjallarhorn is out now!
I'll just leave our little news post here:

"When we started working on Gjallarhorn over four years ago, we had a vision to make something new, something that beloved fans of both WRPGs and JRPGs could immerse themselves in. We are proud to announce the release of our second title, Gjallarhorn. Gjallarhorn merges the open world, choice and consequence design philosophy of the west and combines it with the story, character and style of the east.
We have come to call this new archetype a Western Fusion RPG, a unique blend of the aforementioned, wrapped up tightly with a job class system and fueled by the d20 ruleset. We hope that this new chapter of our world finds you well, adventurer!
Having considerably enjoyed working on this title, we realized how much we missed the tabletop experience. We have decided to return to our roots to bring these new systems, characters from our hand-crafted world to an upcoming campaign setting called The Codex Eternal. Be sure to look out for more news soon, and remember, where the horizon ends, the journey begins!"

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Soundtrack:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom