Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Give me some tactical games recommendations, chop chop!

Balor

Arcane
On Brigade E5:
baby arm said:
This game sounds pretty good. How's that real-time system they've implemented working out? I'm more of a pure turn-based guy myself, but as long as the system works without turning into a click-fest I'm not picky. And what was the name of the follow-up again?
It's the best RTwP I've seen. Certainly not a click-fest, but it is heavy on the micro-management (you can't just send your squad towards the enemy and sit back to watch). The follow-up is 7.62.
Some bugs, graphics outdated by time they released it in Russia (and it was more then a year ago) and bland (if nonlinear) storyline and general writing (further empoverished by sad translation) aside, it's indeed a VERY good tactical game.

If you want maximum realism without the game turning into a boring sim - go for it. Lots and lots of guns, detailed statistics for every item down to every round of ammo (I'm not kidding!), and SPM really allow for some very tactical battles. Really SMART AI also keeps you on your toes. Well, while it may not win Nobel prizes, it does surprise you from time to time with unexpected maneuvers and rather logical behavior.
Many a time you will be 'covering' (very good feature, btw) a door or an angle, waiting for another solder to show himself (it takes a fraction of a second to fire while covering a certain spot - provided the enemy shows up in that particular spot, of course)... and let last thing you'll see 'Your merc hears a suspicious sound' message and a second later - a critical shot into into the back of your head will present your with a 'game over' screen, he-he-he. Enemies are smart enough to circle around and ambush your hapless camper. They love using grenades to flush you out from cover, too.

The sequel planned fixes graphics somewhat (still nothing to compare with Crysis or even Silent Storm, but that's what you get for developing for hardcore crowd), ragdoll (nice looking one, daresay better then goofy one in Silent Storm), sadly rather limited destructibility and supposedly better storyline (based on what I've seen, writing indeed was greatly improved, and if game will stay on same level of nonlinearity - it may outdo JA2 easily).
Also, it is promised that we will not get 'Baaad Guys that need eliminating and goody-two-shoes rebels we work for'.
Your mission has nothing to do with (tense) political situation in the country - you need to find and bring back, dead or alive, a Russian mafioso who robbed his own partners and run off to Algeira - definitely not one of those 'Chosen one must save the world' scenarios.
Two main factions - authoritarian government and rebels - can help you finding him 'for a favor(s)'. But you are free to try and find him yourself - but it will be MUCH harder, I betcha.
Like I said, none of those two factions are definitely 'good' or 'evil'.
Again, based on what I've heard:
Government indeed tries to do best to make the country strong and prosperous... but sometimes methods are rather questionable (think Stalin).
Rebels are using terror tactics and guerilla warfare - which is, of course, not all that pretty, but that's their only chance to stand against better organized government troops.

Anyway, devs of this game even visited this forum - want me to contact them for an interview, provided they are not too busy actually making the game?

LCJr.

Erudite
Ivy Mike said:
LCJr. said:
You might want to hold off on Close Combat since CSO Simtek is working on updated versions of them. The games will be sold through Matrix Games.
Yeah, I saw that announcement last year - but I havn't heard anything about it since, except for Close Combat: Cross of Iron that's supposedly finished and waiting for the go from an army of laywers.
Last news I saw is they had finished alpha testing and beta testing started in November.
You might find more the forums here http://www.closecombat.org/

mister lamat

Scholar
Brigade E5 has to be the steamiest pile of shit i've installed on my computer in quite some time...

and yes, i installed starforce by accident once.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom