Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GIVE ME BACK CARDTRICKS WITCHER REVIEW!!!

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Vault Dweller said:
Cardtrick is a volunteer. Having him to wait for 2 days for something that could have been done in 5 min is both disrespectful and discouraging.
We told cardtrick at the time that it'd take a couple of days (as of this moment, it's still only been less than 2 days). Cardtrick said he was fine with that. Calis PM'd Cardtrick our notes over a day ago. As Calis wants to handle things that way for now, we'll wait for him. That's pretty much that.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Okay, Calis needs a fucking boot up the arse... Hold on a minute.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
DarkUnderlord said:
Vault Dweller said:
Cardtrick is a volunteer. Having him to wait for 2 days for something that could have been done in 5 min is both disrespectful and discouraging.
We told cardtrick at the time that it'd take a couple of days (as of this moment, it's still only been less than 2 days). Cardtrick said he was fine with that. Calis PM'd Cardtrick our notes over a day ago. As Calis wants to handle things that way for now, we'll wait for him. That's pretty much that.
Like I said, just an opinion.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Yes and no. You directly criticized the "new regime" for taking its time to review something properly. I feel that warrants a reply and really, this is an internets forum. Of course you're just sharing your opinion. Just don't act so surprised when your opinion garners other opinion. :P

dragonfk

Erudite
Finally I can read the review somewhere (and it happens its on ITSFs). I think you should have left the review that was posted in the forum until it was placed on frontpage.

Vault Dweller

Developer
DarkUnderlord said:
Yes and no. You directly criticized the "new regime" for taking its time to review something properly. I feel that warrants a reply and really, this is an internets forum. Of course you're just sharing your opinion. Just don't act so surprised when your opinion garners other opinion. :P
I'm not and I'm always happy to debate something with you. An opinion can often contain criticism, so there is nothing unusual here.

As for taking time to review, if that applies to game, I'm with you. If that applies to a clearly well written review, taking two days to review it is an unnecessary waste of time.

MountainWest

Scholar
Yes, the plot thickens indeed.

Fear of my own safety has kept me quite about this area 51-classified information. Truth be told, I cowardly intended to reamin silent for the rest of my years. But... I no longer can. I... I dug up these horrors a couple of days ago and ever since then they've been eating me up from within like a malicious cancer. The truth must be told. It'll surely blow your mind, as it has mine.

The first of november 2006, exactly a year before all hell broke lose, Sheek posted this:

Rulers, regimes rise to power, dazzle and crumble to dust almost within an eye blink... It is no consequence to me in the long run. All I'm saying is VD's time is approaching.

I ask you, how could he know this? How deep into abyss did Sheek stare before the abyss stared back at him? Fetched him with its sharp claws, forced him into becoming a pawn in the upcoming coup?

Aye, it'd be farfetched to believe Sheek was the mastermind behind the coup. We all know he didn't possess the qualities needed to set up a rebellion of his own. (Also, as you'll soon witness, he later claimed not being the mastermind).

And yes, I'm talking about Sheek as if he was dead. Sheek met his fate in the men he thought to be his comrades. Such are the ways of evil, such is the reward for selling ones soul.

VD, fĂĽrher supreme, answered Sheeks ominous threat with:

Can't wait.

At first glance one can come to the conclusion that VD shrugged Sheeks threat right off. But that couldn't further from the truth. If you examine the eight letters and the lone quivering apostrophe under a loup, you'll notice an undeniable irregularity to each and every letter, as well as a strange bend to the aposthrophe. Yes, VD was afraid. Terrified. Sweat clinging to his brows, his heart pounding, his hand not steady. Until then his Nazi-regime had gone on unquestioned. Now, suddenly, there was undeniable proof that within his realm there was a rebellion rising. A rebellion whos members wouldn't back down from using violence.

Subhine, who later would become yet another casualty of war, looked at the sky - his beard itching, his wooden peg leg aching - and he said:

It is an ill wind that bloweth.

Spacemoose, the creature who would become the catalyst of the upcoming event, said:

yep its going to be like nuclear war

Whipporowill, a peaceful citizen, felt the tension, felt the truth in threats, and cried in outmost horror :

You ARE joking... right? Right?

Right?

Nay, it was no joke. Sheek, eater of children, seducer of his own mother, said:

Remember the 5th of November? Oh yes, this year will be one to remember...

What Sheek failed to realise - or mayhap the true powers hadn't indulged him in the details - was that the coup wouldn't take place there and then, but exactly one year later.

OR! Did Sheek infact know the exact date and thus tried to throw VD off? If you look closely there's a reference to the movie "V for Vendetta" in the first sentence of his post. In V for Vendetta - a movie featuring a rebellion as its main theme - a coup takes place exactly one year after the initial threat! A coincidence? Who knows.

With his thumb firmly stuck in his mouth Admiral Jimbob, to innocent a boy to understand the severity of the threats, walked up to Sheek and said:

You're going to blow up JoWooD?

Sheek responded:

No actually, I am merely a messenger and a prophet. I cannot reveal who does the deed. It could be VD, it could be Vipera. It could be you...

And then he ate Jimbob.

I believe the reason to why the rebellion wasn't strangled there and then in its infancy, or why the threats weren't taken as seriously as they should have, is to be found in this post made by the patriot Hazelnut:

Don't hold your breath VD... remember this:

And then he continued with listing earlier empty threats. Hazelnuts intentions were good, even honourable. Alas, he forgot the timeless truth: never forget. When you forget history, you're bound to repeat its errors. He unknowingly seeded out the empty threats - believed in his own mistake - but forgot that every once in a while, when clouds cloud the moon, the woods lies as silent as a five-dollar-whore during sex, and the sound of a falling branch infact can be heard eventhough no one is listening, then there could be true evil lurking in the distant echo of a threat.

The punishment for this oversight was harsh. For all of us. The coup was a success. The mighty Codex fell. The world we once knew and loved is gone and there's nothing but the thickest of darkness in the sky and ash on the ground replacing it.

Aye. There was indeed a coup. And what's worse, it was planned long before VD started executing his own citizens. The current rulers have built their regime on a dirty lie. The truth have finally seen the light. The end. Game over. I feel relieved.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
cardtrick said:
I have no problem with the editors of a site wanting to take some time to read through a piece and make any necessary changes before it becomes an official part of the site content.
As a potential reader of the piece, I do. Or did. Whatever. There is no reason to stop fighting the man at this point!

DarkUnderlord said:
Pix plz!

Nael

Arcane
Jack Chick was right:

RPGs lead to polytheism,
Polytheism leads to indecision,
Indecision leads to drama,
Drama leads to wild prediction...

What's next Codexians? Tarot cards???

Repent and be saved from Internets drama!

Calis

Pensionado
DarkUnderlord said:
Been hellishly busy, spending romantic evenings in my lab with my laser.
I wanted to give it another thorough read-through, and the soonest I can do that turned out to be tomorrow (saturday). Any of you think there's a rush in getting it posted... well, I disagree, there's only a rush if the hungry masses get it posted on another forum. Someone spends the time and effort to write a quite excellent 7000 word review of a game, he can wait a few days for nit-picks and polishing it to a shine until it gets published, no? Even if it is just typos or slightly weird sentences (which, admittedly, are far between).
I'll send Cardtrick the first-pass comments now and will still give it another thorough read-through tomorrow.

For future submissions, I am going to demand exclusivity. What's the point in having it published here if it's already up somewhere else with a slightly different edit? Since I already agreed to post this one, that's what I'll do, though. (though my stance may have been different if the piece wasn't an excellent read)

Nutcracker

Scholar
Calis said:
For future submissions, I am going to demand exclusivity. What's the point in having it published here if it's already up somewhere else with a slightly different edit? Since I already agreed to post this one, that's what I'll do, though. (though my stance may have been different if the piece wasn't an excellent read)

I agree...and certainly wasnt impressed with that attempt to undermine the Codex.

dragonfk

Erudite
Tell me Calis why have you pulled off the review from the forum? If it was left alone until published on frontpage there would be no need to post it somewhere else.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Calis said:
For future submissions, I am going to demand exclusivity.
Good idea. We have some many submissions that we might as well introduce some rules to manage them properly.

What's the point in having it published here if it's already up somewhere else with a slightly different edit?
Who cares, really? We were going to (re)-post Suibhne's Dark Messiah review, which he originally posted on his blog. The point of posting a review is to give your readers something to read and to add another quality review to the Codex collection.

Nutcracker said:
I agree...and certainly wasnt impressed with that attempt to undermine the Codex.
What attempt to undermine the Codex? I didn't steal anything from the Codex and Cardtrick didn't do anything unethical. I happened to see the original thread. I had it open when it disappeared. I could have easily saved it and posted instantly elsewhere - and that would have been an attempt to undermine the site. I waited for a day, and then for another day, and then I asked Cardtrick to post a *copy*. Considering that ITS forums are a little, practically unknown place on the internet with 200 members, anyone who sees it as an attempt to undermine the Codex is a moron. You are not a moron, are you, Nutcracker?

vrok

Liturgist
I like how you *emphasized* copy, as if that's *supposed* to *mean* anything in this particular context. Too obvious.

trais

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Codex Warz: Episode V - VD Strikes Back

but seriously, Calis, WTF?! The review is properly written, it doesn't have to be perfect, near perfect is still good enough, so why fuck with it?

Calis

Pensionado
dragonfk said:
Tell me Calis why have you pulled off the review from the forum? If it was left alone until published on frontpage there would be no need to post it somewhere else.
Pretty sure that wasn't me, it was moved to the staff forum (by DU, I believe) before I even saw it.

Vault Dweller said:
Calis said:
Good idea. We have some many submissions that we might as well introduce some rules to manage them properly.
Semi-sarcastic jibes beat actual analysis every time.

Vault Dweller said:
What's the point in having it published here if it's already up somewhere else with a slightly different edit?
Who cares, really? We were going to (re)-post Suibhne's Dark Messiah review, which he originally posted on his blog. The point of posting a review is to give your readers something to read and to add another quality review to the Codex collection.
You may be on to something there, but I disagree with point a (giving your readers something to read). They can do that just as well when it's on a blog, a forum, or wherever the hell it is. If you want to find a review that (someone at) the Codex thinks is good, searching the news archive is an obvious way to go about it. This is not selective-Google-cache-for-good-stuff. This is a site run by volunteers who strive to at least have a good look at something before deciding: "hey, let's publish this".
If you think the entire "volunteer" aspect means that a person in a position of power shouldn't treat other people who work hard to bring someone nice to the community like shit, I wholeheartedly agree. I don't think that's what's happened here though, and I resent the implication that by not posting this in the content DB immediately after the other thread got moved I have somehow kicked someone in the nuts. I don't think I did that, and I don't think cardtrick should (or does) see this as a lack of appreciation for the fact that he sent us a really nice piece of writing for publication.

The point of publishing a review after some guys who think they have some insight into this kind of stuff had their editorial nit-picking rounds, is just that - it's a guarantee that nits were picked by someone other than the original author, prior to publication. This is no guarantee the correct nits were picked, of course (see the comments on Jarlfrank's KoDP quickie - obviously, a lot of people thought I either didn't pick the right nits or was too lenient in letting the eventual result through), but it still counts for something.
Now, admittedly, this doesn't affect the "exclusivity" argument in any way, I just think it's a principal choice an author should make: either you subject yourself to the horrors of editorial nit-picking, or you post it on a forum or blog or whatever under 100% your own responsibility and have all kinds of people do the nit-picking in your comments. The difference with Suibhne's review is obviously that he didn't write it with the intent to have it published on the Codex. He wrote it with the clear intent to publish it on his blog.

Your post did make me rethink my stance on exclusivity somewhat, I must admit, but my initial reaction was also influenced by a bit of a peeve at the perceived "forum masses don't like the speed, demand to get text, text gets posted" (by original author, which is of course his perogative).

@trais: see above.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Firstly, demanding exclusivity is stupid if you're not paying a guy or offering him something else like admin powers or plugs.

It's not the end of the world waiting 4 days to get a review put up. But it does bring up the question again of why would you bounce the only active admin/editor/staff writer when you don't have anybody in the wings to commit to this full time?

Vault Dweller

Developer
vrok said:
I like how you *emphasized* copy, as if that's *supposed* to *mean* anything in this particular context. Too obvious.
Considering that I commissioned that review before the...uh...unfortunate accident, saw and discussed the draft with cardtrick weeks ago, I could have asked him to give the review to us. However, this review belongs at the Codex and I merely asked for a copy, which didn't cause any damage to anyone but gave a few folks something to read.

Calis said:
Vault Dweller said:
Calis said:
Semi-sarcastic jibes beat actual analysis every time.
Couldn't resist, sorry.

This is a site run by volunteers who strive to at least have a good look at something before deciding: "hey, let's publish this".
Of course. The Codex does have high standards after all. However, one look at the review was enough to realize that "That's gold, Jerry! Gold!"

I resent the implication that by not posting this in the content DB immediately after the other thread got moved I have somehow kicked someone in the nuts.
It's discouraging though.

Now, admittedly, this doesn't affect the "exclusivity" argument in any way, I just think it's a principal choice an author should make: either you subject yourself to the horrors of editorial nit-picking...
Why? It's a well written piece and nobody here, including me, is a creative writing major who's qualified to improve this or similar review. Is it perfect? No, of course not. But it's a 9+/10 review. We can certainly improve 6-7/10 reviews and probably do something for 8/10 pieces, but 9+? I doubt it. So we, well, you should post such articles as is and as fast you can, because you gain nothing by nitpicking but waste time, including your own.

My 2 cents.

mathboy

Liturgist
I think Calis wants the codex to be notable enough to be mentioned on wikipedia. And that requires editorial control! He probably edited a topic MountainWest started, to create drama that would make other places notice it and prove there is indeed editorial control here.

Nael

Arcane
mathboy said:
I think Calis wants the codex to be notable enough to be mentioned on wikipedia. And that requires editorial control! He probably edited a topic MountainWest started, to create drama that would make other places notice it and prove there is indeed editorial control here.

I knew it! The Codex never landed on the Moon! It was all filmed in Calis' basement!

Marsal

Arcane
Good job, MountainWest! :lol:

You could become the official Codex scribe (historian?)! Future generations should never forget Teh Drama that was The Codex!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom