Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ghost of Tsushima - open world game set in feudal Japan

Gamezor

Learned
You guys tricked me into playing this—there is a fuckton of lame unskippable cutscenes so far even after the longass prologue. Do they ever chill with this shit?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You guys tricked me into playing this—there is a fuckton of lame unskippable cutscenes so far even after the longass prologue. Do they ever chill with this shit?
Love unskippable custcenes.

"We put a lot of work in this shit so you WILL watch it."

It's like a chocolate bar wrapper that you HAVE to eat too coz it cost a lot of money to design.

cruel

Cipher
Most of the long cutscenes are behind you at this point. It's a much better idea to continue playing this, if your alternative is HZD.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Honestly think I might switch to new hzd. It’s woke but at least I can skip cut scenes.
You can't quit until you've pet every fox in Tsushima:

m4oj76.jpg

toughasnails

Please refrain from posting unless you can announce the PC port. THANKS.
Still hoping against hope to see at least this and Demon's Souls remake on steam before Sony dumps their whole PC strategy for good- and sadly it looks as if that will happen sooner rather than later, with TLOU remake's port being such a disaster, titles like Returnal not doing well sales wise, the stories about Sony requiring guarantees from SE that future FFs won't appear on PC and not just Xbox etc.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Afaik Returnal bombed hard even on PS so it's not exactly shocking nobody bought in on PC either.

As for the ports quality, hard to say. Based on the botched HZD and TLOU releases Sony could say "fuck this, we don't need this shit" and cut the rope. But the Days Gone, God of War and Returnal ports were excellent.

Biggest problem could be the sales. I honestly expected games like HZD or GoW to sell waay more on PC than they did. Open-world games are super popular on PC and HZD's 2,2 million isn't terrible but I thought it'd be at least twice as much (shit, even Kingdom Come, a new IP with zero marketing budget sold a million in the first fucking week). And GoW didn't even break a million, whaat? A game this famous, this hyped, this desirable?

That said, we have no idea how much these ports cost. Maybe it's under a million bucks, so if they make 20+ million they're worth Sony's time.

toughasnails

I think that there is another component to the situation of Sony's PC push: for a while it appeared as if MS was en route towards becoming an industry monopoly with Sony being pushed into its own niche rather than competing in the same space. But MS's gaming side has been doing poorly for a while, ActiBlizz buyout failed thru, so that component is now absent.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
The ActiBlizz buyout is still being negotiated, there's updates on the "merger" in a thread here.

Modron

Arcane
I think that there is another component to the situation of Sony's PC push: for a while it appeared as if MS was en route towards becoming an industry monopoly with Sony being pushed into its own niche rather than competing in the same space. But MS's gaming side has been doing poorly for a while, ActiBlizz buyout failed thru, so that component is now absent.
They're probably also selling user data with how much information they explicitly state they're gathering in their Privacy Policy: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/legal/privacy-policy/

There was a lot of complaining about data gathering with Days Gone's release but everyone has already gotten used to it apparently because all Sony PC releases have the same policy.

Silva

Arcane
Yeah, I hated the game's initial 2h or so too. Just endure that crap, the game is worth it.

See Persona 5 and it's unskipable 40h tutorial for maximum suffering.
Do have to admit Persona 5 (And 4) are good about letting you skip dialog and cutscenes quickly and easily. The few times I've wiped in that and had to replay a section/boss it was nice how well the skipping works. The "Tutorial" being a massive part of the game could be a pain in the ass for actual replays like Irenicus' sex dungeon from hell but skipping the story's well done at least.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Afaik Returnal bombed hard even on PS so it's not exactly shocking nobody bought in on PC either.

As for the ports quality, hard to say. Based on the botched HZD and TLOU releases Sony could say "fuck this, we don't need this shit" and cut the rope. But the Days Gone, God of War and Returnal ports were excellent.

Biggest problem could be the sales. I honestly expected games like HZD or GoW to sell waay more on PC than they did. Open-world games are super popular on PC and HZD's 2,2 million isn't terrible but I thought it'd be at least twice as much (shit, even Kingdom Come, a new IP with zero marketing budget sold a million in the first fucking week). And GoW didn't even break a million, whaat? A game this famous, this hyped, this desirable?

That said, we have no idea how much these ports cost. Maybe it's under a million bucks, so if they make 20+ million they're worth Sony's time.

The thing is that PS4 was accessible and cheap for a long time. Everyone who was interested in Sony exclusives bought a PS4 and played them on console by the time they got their PC release.

Silva

Arcane

The thing is that PS4 was accessible and cheap for a long time. Everyone who was interested in Sony exclusives bought a PS4 and played them on console by the time they got their PC release.
And that's why PS5 will flop, expensive as fuck (at least here in HUE land) and a lack of interesting exclusives. I got PS4 early and it was worth every cent, while I see no incentives to get a PS5.

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane
What's the stealth killing like in this? Good enough to rank it with the Tenshu games at least?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I've played this for a few hours and it's an Assassin's Creed clone minus the sci-fi present day nonsense.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What, the combat in this game just consists of fumbling and mashing buttons?
Perfect parry to open them up for attack, dodge when their attack flashes red/blue which indicates it's unblockable, bash shield guys with heavy attacks to drain their "holding shield up" bars.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
If my memory still serves, AC combat was notoriously bad. Can't imagine GoT got such a large following with something similarly bad. Don't wanna watch gameplay to check because I wanna go in fresh for the inevitable PC port.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom