Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Getting into WoD: Vampire

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Yeah, because at that point, there were 500-1000 person games in pretty much every major city. And now if you have a 70 man game it's FUCKING huge. The average larp is 10 people where I live now. Finally, you've got less people playing tabletop than ever before. So to maintain profits, both quality and cost had to increase. You can't release 30 books a month anymore, the old business model of just printing whatever doesn't work anymore. Because there's no longer that teenaged crowd that buys every piece of bullshit you put on the shelf.

I really wish they published more Dark Ages books instead of truckloads of modern books of sometimes dubious quality and more along the lines of "hey man, this shit sells like hotcakes, better write more drivel regardless of quality", especially because Dark Ages was probably the soundest iteration of the ruleset, as far as oWoD went at least, until the 20th Anniversary Masquerade book got released. Hell, they even combined multiple Clanbooks into single books, for good and bad.
Yeah, was there any facet of the settings that wasn't already covered by 2nd edition lines? And considering WoD splatbooks are almost entirely fluff, the minor rules update hardly justified more of the same. The generally inferior content of revised books only made that more apparent.

Last edited:

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
There's going to be a Dark Ages Vampire 20th Anniversary, if you are interested.

EDIT: It's a V20 Edition - http://theonyxpath.com/category/projects/darkages/

Isn't that just a Gehenna-equivalent book that was promised way back when Dark Ages was coming to a close? Obvious difference being the world did not in fact end when the eclipse happened, of course.

You talking about Dark Ages: Darkening Sky? I don't know about that. I was talking about the stuff down the site. http://theonyxpath.com/welcome-to-the-new-dark-ages/

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Oh. Now I feel stupid. Yeah, I didn't see that.

I still wish they did a Dark Ages line for nWoD as well, it would be interesting to see how it would all play out with memory loss due to torpor and lack of all-powerful Methuselahs playing more prominent roles because of earlier time period.

Think Locally, Fuck Globally
:incline:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
This is good news. We're playing the Giovanni Chronicles and a V20 edition of the Dark Ages would be fucking awesome.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
There's going to be a Dark Ages Vampire 20th Anniversary, if you are interested.

EDIT: It's a V20 Edition - http://theonyxpath.com/category/projects/darkages/

Hopefully we will get a Mage: The Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition first. Seriously, I've been checking for it every day of this month up to now.
It's p. lame that they decided to use facebook for communication and design feedback. If you want more info you gotta look for the respective project page there.

Akasen

Augur
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
To be completely honest, Tabletop Roleplaying Games are probably gaining more attention thanks to the likes of the internet and popular faces of the internet coming out and saying "I play D&D and here are the hilarious as shit stories I have to tell".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom