Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Moonspeak Generation Xth translation released... kind of

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Apparently, the translation project for the great PC dungeon-crawler Generation Xth: Code Hazard has ended, one way or another.

On the works since late 2012, the translation was almost complete in early 2013, but then it went through various holds and bumps on the road. The translators tried to score a deal for a official release (denied by the devs), then real-life issues came in, rumors of another team taking over the translation... then someone went to the forums to cry about how guy freely translating a game on his spare time had "responsibility" towards releasing something after so long, and that apparently was the straw that broke the camel's back; after almost 5 months in silence, shram (the translator) made a thread called "Final Release" , saying only this:

shram said:
All the text in the game should be translated.
Generation Xth 0.5 alpha english

There is 0.5 alpha of the full release. It's buggy and I don't know if it's even beatable.

Enjoy.

And that's it.... I guess?

I was a beta tester for this project, and while I haven't played this new release yet, the previous one was fully playable and beatable, and I had a blast playing it. The level design of some dungeons is fantastic, full of rotating titles, teleporters, shock titles, mazes, fake walls and all of dungeon-crawling goodness. Definitely worth a play if you're a fan of the genre.

Sadly, that means the chances of seeing the 2 sequels translated are now quite slim... unless bros like Helly are up to the task. :3

TigerKnee

Arcane
Silence in fan-translation projects is never good. At least we got something "complete" out of it.

Also I guess no Sakura Wars 1 project then.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Sadly, that means the chances of seeing the 2 sequels translated are now quite slim... unless bros like Helly are up to the task. :3

A tragedy to be sure. I'm not much of a blobber fan, but Gen XTH was just the right amount of silly and brought interesting dungeons (after the first dozen or so visits to the office building at the start) to win me over. The Codex should do a fan translation fundraiser for parts 2 and 3 instead of the next MCA kickstarter.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Damn shame. I wonder if this "final release" is identical to the "beta" version you played, felipepepe?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Silence in fan-translation projects is never good. At least we got something "complete" out of it.

Also I guess no Sakura Wars 1 project then.
Silence in any sort of public relations situation is never good. Even if there's nothing different to say from last time, you should at least tell people that so they know that's the case rather than something happened that you're hiding. Of course, it's doubly bad after setting up expectations or making promises. Glad people bothered him enough to get him to at least release what he had, instead of just letting it die on his hard drive. I wonder if the other guys that were working on it are still going to finish?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Damn shame. I wonder if this "final release" is identical to the "beta" version you played, felipepepe?
The beta I had played was pretty much done, it only had like 3-4 dialogs still in moonrunes, some formatting issues and items untranslated. I was able to finish it without any issues (except for a retarded grindy side-quest).

I downloaded this new version and loaded the old saves I've sent to him as reports, and the big japanese dialogs I saw are gone. So unless this new build introduced a new bug, it should be perfectly playable and beatable. You'll still very rarely see a kanji like 海斗 at the end of sentences, but it is a bug, the text is fully translated.

Machine

Arbiter
Shame about this , was following this translation for a long time. Oh well, time to give this 0.5 alpha a spin I guess.

Zetor

Arcane
Yeah, this was a really great game, and I enjoyed testing it (felipepepe may remember my wall-of-100-image posts about various spelling / grammar errors ;)). If I had to point out one bad thing, it'd be the postgame, which is just an uninspired grind to get 1000 *things* you can then convert into *thing2s* and *thing3s*, to take on *big bad boss*. Eh.

mck

Cipher
Been wanting to play this for a while. Where is the best place to get the game from?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I probably would but the image host I used to use changed so it randomly renames files now, which makes it a pain in the ass to write the posts, having to alt tab and copy paste every god damned image link.

stabby

Learned
I probably would but the image host I used to use changed so it randomly renames files now, which makes it a pain in the ass to write the posts, having to alt tab and copy paste every god damned image link.

If that's the case look into a program called ShareX. It advertizes itself as an all in one program for screenshots, but it's quite good for uploading screenshots as a batch, then copying the links (or generated BB code if that's what you need) to the clipboard in the same order they were uploaded in. Has come quite in handy when dealing with something like imgur as a host.

shram

Arcane
Developer
Hey guys,

I don't normally do this but I like the codex and I think Xth is more popular here than anywhere else. I really don't care about the "entitleds" saying that I let them down or whatever nonsense, I just hate that it clutters up my forums. Anyway, here's the human side:

The story: I was working my ass off to get Hazard translated last year, kicking it into overdrive around Feb/March and finishing all the game text. During this process, I decided to throw out contact emails/proposals to EXP and a few western companies just to see what the response was. One of the people I contacted was a beloved indie localization company. I figured we could touch base on our common ground and possibly even form a working relationship. So I hate being "that guy" BUT: I was snubbed and found out later that this indie company had, after I had already a) talked to them about Xth and b) released the Xth demo, attempted to contact EXP on their own for their own rights. This may be business as usual for the games world, but I took it a little personally. That was the first disincentive.

After several months of talking to people and sending out emails, it looked like EXP wasn't interested in anything except localizing their new PSP titles, so I gave up on official channels and just decided to finish whatever I had and release a patcher with EsperKnight.

So, around May of last year, around when the translation was getting its final pass, I was left alone by the person I was living with, jobless in an apartment with two months left on the lease. Doing freelance translation doesn't pay the bills on its own so I had to forget about Xth and scramble to get a job. I didn't get security for a couple months, at which point I was willing to delve back in to my hobby and finish it up, when I was hit with several thousand dollars of repair and hospital bills. This is right after I said I'd have it done by Christmas. I told cj_iwakura and EsperKnight that they were perfectly willing to finish it on their own - I certainly didn't have the time or luxury to work on non-paying translation work anymore. Nothing happened, I guess.

By the time I remembered Xth even existed a couple more months had passed. Early this month I moved (again) in the hopes that the new job I was placed at would work out, but alas, it ended up being more temp work. At this point I decided that nothing was going to happen with Xth, and since as far as I know the last release was complete, I'd go ahead and release the full thing. The only thing wrong is that it could use a prose pass (believe it or not, I write better than this) and we were gonna make an installer. The last time I worked on it, my personal build was crashing, but this one seems stable. It could use more work but EsperKnight still has the tools.

If by some miracle I get rich and don't have to fret endlessly over how I'm going to pay the bills (sold my game systems, etc) then by all means expect Xth 2, Sakura Taisen, and hell, I'd love to do El Dorado Gate at some point, but for now, just enjoy Xth. My only hope is that it gets popular and EXP releases more titles over here.

Til then, mates!

Zetor

Arcane
Yea, I remember the events around the indie localization company, it was some eyeroll-worthy shit; I guess you don't need to be a big corp to be willing to screw people over.

Regardless, thanks for translating the best PC blobber of the last 5+ years! Hope you get back on your feet soon. :salute:

Vagiel

Augur
I really want to thank you for your hard work and wish you in the future to be able to have the time and resources to work in whatever you enjoy.

Trizeno

Barely Literate
Hey so can someone help? I downloaded the English patch and got the game, but I can't start it fullscreen or the top of the basically enlarged window cuts off the scrolling "hint" bar. And also a lot of text is free floating without a background. (ie. Combat logs will be white text with no black box, making it hard to read.) The game version I got was 1.3 and it didn't have that issue, but when I added the Eng patch it made it 1.4? So is that my issue? Does anyone know where the 1.3 to 1.4 Jap patch is? I see screencaps of it working perfectly, any noob hints to do a proper setup?

P.S. Thanks Shram, I can't pretend to understand the arcane tech-magic you learned to make this game be translated, but thank you for doing so. Best of luck to you professionally, you definitely have some valuable skills!

Trizeno

Barely Literate
I installed the Jap 1.400 patch, and then re-applied the translation. That solved my text-box issue. But now when I run it fullscreen it just becomes a large window whose title chops off part of the game, and also game lags heavily in fullscreen. Is there a true "fullscreen" mode? (Sorry I'm so lost here, haha)

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Sorry, no idea, I can't replicate what you're saying. You could try posting on shram's forum, he still checks there it seems.

Trizeno

Barely Literate
I fixed everything now, except now the fullscreen option in config.exe makes it a large bordered window and it lags. How do you setup yours for fullscreen? Edit the .ini file or just the options? This is a great Shin Megami Tensei-esque game so I can't wait to have it properly set up for a playthrough!

Rpgsaurus Rex

Trizeno

Switch your screen resolution to 800x600 or whatever the size of the window is, use aspect correction if your monitor isn't 4x3.

Rpgsaurus Rex

felipepepe Zetor

Bros, I need help. I'm stuck at the 'schoolgirl murders' mission. I've basically explored floors 25 to 27 stepping on every tile and fiting all rope codes where they could be fit. Even that bunny room on 25. However, I'm clueless as to how to open the red door on 25.

This link http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/980520-generation-xth-plus-code-hazard/69116326

didn't help much - I couldn't find anything of use on x15 y13.

Looks like I'm stuck.

EDIT: after 2 hours of pointless wandering I post this, and 5 minutes later I found it. Motherfucking lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom