Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Geneforge 1 - Mutagen - remake from Spiderweb Software

The comparison with DnD is not poignant at all.

What I recommend to do if you fall into what I did (wasting time) is simply opening the wiki and reading the pieces of content related to each location. No point having to do around 5-8 encounters and wasting time to read a letter or a book, when the system itself is made in a way done to not engage the player through the medium of the game. If clicking the mouse button just for the sake of clicking is enjoyable for you, good for you.

thesecret1

Arcane
Finished the game today, about a decade since I've played the original. I'm impressed – it's a clear improvement, and a fun game. I played on Torment difficulty with a self-imposed challenge of not using any canisters save for the mandatory one in the tutorial, and one more to be able to create fyoras (because playing Geneforge without creations seemed like an absolute waste). Was pleasantly surprised that the game recognized this in the ending, even if only by changing a line or two.

Combat-wise, the game was pretty solid. There were some obvious cheese tactics (spray crystal applying ridiculously OP acid condition being a good example) but none that'd entirely trivialize the game – encounters that were meant to be hard were still hard, even if perhaps easier than intended. Amount of XP gained being dependent on your level seemed such an abysmal decision, but aside from making the player feel annoyed and disappointed, it didn't really affect much – I still ended the game extremely powerful and plowed my way through every encounter the game could throw at me (including the total genocide of Vakkiri and Kazg, slaying Goettsch, etc.). Overall, pretty good.

Story-wise, I was disappointed by the overall lack of reactivity. The world is utterly static, with NPCs even teasing you with shit like "Now that you've cleared the fields, we will go and reoccupy them!" only to never actually do that. Similarly, the NPCs do not react to your deeds enough, nor does the game acknowledge half the shit you do. This is particularly visible if you do big stuff like wiping out Kazg, and find out you cannot tell the advanced servile outpost about it (an outpost whose sole purpose is to fight against Kazg...). Nor can you tell the leader of Obeyers that you've wiped out the other factions, or, say, inform the last of the ascended that his pals are dead and their lifelong work is finished. It's all comparatively minor stuff, but were it added, it would've massively improved the player's experience.

Itemization was pretty good – I actually used consumables quite a lot since they were very useful. The game was a bit too generous with them, though. Economy was totally busted, with me actually reaching the cap of 30k coins (did you know it's capped? You cannot have more than 30k), but there wasn't all that much to buy anyway.

In summary, I liked the game quite a lot, as much as I did the original all those years ago. I'm surprised, too – after Queen's Wish, I didn't dare hope to see anything worthwhile from Jeff.

Gandalf

Arbiter
He is a solid remaker. I don't remember being dissapointed with any new version of the old classics he made so far. It's pretty cool. My dream would be to make a game in this isometric SS's engine. I have so many ideas...

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Man, the average gamer doesn't seem to be very bright. Look at these absolutely stupid "reviews":
https://steamcommunity.com/app/200960/negativereviews/?browsefilter=toprated&snr=1_5_9_#scrollTop=0

Some truly "when words are not enough" material there:

This is one of those CRPGS where you find out your have a crappy, borderline unplayable build ONLY AFTER you've played the game for 15+ hours. In contrast the story and setting is absolutely sublime, they are honestly the only reason I would recommend this game at all.
:hmmm:

Yeah, let's make *all* builds equally viable. In other words, castrate the whole system so it pretty much doesn't matter where you put the points...

I started the game a few days ago on Veteran difficulty with a Shaper and I'm having a blast.

Combat is great, graphics is great, story is great, writing is great—that's my review so far. Well, the sound is great too!

I really do enjoy the tactical turn-based combat, and on Veteran the game takes off the kid gloves. Just how it should be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom