Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Gearhead blasts to v.909

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Gearhead

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/pyrrho12/programming/gearhead/index.html">Gearhead</a> has now progressed to <A href="http://gearhead.roguelikedevelopment.org/gh-0909-sdlwin.zip">version .909</a>(and the <A href="http://gearhead.roguelikedevelopment.org/gh-0909-sdlimage.zip">graphics pack</a>). Here's the monsterous list of changes:
<br>
<ul><li>Added safety switch for weapons and grenades (backpack.pp)
<br>
<li>Fixed range check error in RedrawTile (sdlmap.pp)
<br>
<li>Updated Linux prettyprinting support, by Michael Deutschmann
<br>
<li>Fixed memo bug in TS_XRAN_a-A-_MeetMe.txt
<br>
<li>NPCs harder to affect with Performance multiple times (skilluse.pp)
<br>
<li>Fixed an overflow bug in ASCII mode (ability.pp)
<br>
<li>Performance gives no XP if tired (skilluse.pp)
<br>
<li>Fixed some problems with compiling for SDL
<br>
<li>Some more code-cleaning by Michael Deutschmann
<br>
<li>Can only set the sprite for character, not mecha (pcaction.pp)
<br>
<li>Removed some debugging code (arenascript.pp)
<br>
<li>Numerous bug fixes and improvements by Michael Deutschmann
<br>
<li>Fixed bug in IfNoObjections procedure (arenascript.pp)
<br>
<li>Played with hyper, blast attribute costs (ghweapon.pp)
<br>
<li>All items now have descriptions, thanks to Tung Nguyen
<br>
<li>Fixed many spelling errors with util provided by Malte Helmert
<br>
<li>XRAN episodes "Hunter", "Pricey Head" edited to v0.901 standard
<br>
<li>Wandering artifact bug hopefully fixed (backpack.pp)
<br>
<li>AWOL robot bug has been fixed (pcaction.pp)
<br>
<li>Added Tung Nguyen's mouse handling patch (sdlmenus.pp)
<br>
<li>Added loot tracking patch by Michael Deutschmann
<br>
<li>Added speed improvement patch by Michalis Kamburelis and Michael Deutschmann
<br>
<li>Can now make called shots even when rotating (pcaction.pp)
<br>
<li>Pillaging disabled if scene type has NOPILLAGE tag (arenaplay.pp)
<br>
<li>Fixed FPCv2 compatability issues
<br>
<li>Destroyed weapon addons no longer work (damage.pp,locale.pp,effects.pp)
<br>
<li>Directory assistance will find NPCs based on job or keyword (interact.pp)
<br>
<li>Will now get most rumors at start of conversation (arenascript.pp)
<br>
<li>Will automatically pillage after winning mission (arenaplay.pp)
<br>
<li>Can install things into empty storage modules (menugear.pp)
<br>
<li>Double Buffering specified in SetVideoMode (sdlgfx.pp)
<br>
<li>XRAN episodes "Investigation", "KnowTooMuch", "DoctorKim", "InDanger" have been edited to v0.901 standard
<br>
<li>Can redial the last phone number by entering * (pcaction.pp)
<br>
<li>Fixed bug in "WaitingForYou", "FaceYourEnemy" plots
<br>
<li>ScreenHeight of 24 may now be okay (???) (congfx.pp)
<br>
<li>GearHead should be more easily compilable using different releases of
<br>
FPC and across different OS's, thanks to Michalis Kamburelis
<br>
<li>XRAN episodes "SchoolPals", "SisterMoney" have been edited
<br>
<li>Removed the memory usage message (congfx.pp)
<br>
<li>Edited the Daum2 again</ul>
<br>
Directory assistance is a damned nice addition for people like me that can't remember the randomly generated names from game to game.
<br>

Fez

Erudite
Hell yeah, remembering all the random, bland people was bothersome.

Are the rules and features for this going to be the basis for the 3D style sequel, or is it going to be entirely different?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
That's a good question. I know the random story element stuff is getting a major overhaul, but I don't know if anything else is getting any major attention.

Lancaster

Novice
I liked Gearhead a lot. It's nice to see that the developers are still working on it

evilmonkey

Liturgist
real nice.

always looking forward to changes like this - thanks for the news saint.

Now if only Wings3d would update again it would make my day.

pyrrho12

Novice
GH2 will use mostly the same rules as GH1. The random plot generator is being completely rewritten, the world area is being expanded, and several new features are in the works. I'll have a more complete list of changes when the first official test release of GH2 is made.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Pyrrho - That's awesome, but are you now entirely focusing on Gearhead 2, or will there be more updates to the original?

Camrin

Novice
I've played GH2 and I think I like it. But I have a short list of things I'd love to see in the next release:

:arrow: 1. Documentation in the game folder. It really could help a lot some greenhorn like me. I couldn't download GH1 and I had no idea how to play at first. I also would like to read who did the game.

:idea: 2. I liked the beginning of comic that youd did for GH (seen it somewhere on GH webpage), but I don't like the same kind of drawing style used in a character portraits. This is futuristic, robots and steel, and I think this should be more grim world. Most ofl the faces are soft, bright and shiny. I think that a bit more realistic approach would make quite a serious upgrade in playability.

3. I was a bit lost, wandering around, empty streets, skyscrapers, no people or mechs. I had no idea where to go,and there wero neither neons nor any kinda signs on buildings. Hopefully it's because it's an early test release?

4.The fighting is fun! but interface is a bit messy. All these options in options are complicated to me, when playing without documentation. Although now I'm more used to it, maybe you should try to make some icons to make things easy for Gearhead beginners like me. I still don't know how to enter my mech after exiting it :oops:

5. When I chat with people in buildings, they have many thigs to say, but it rarely makes sense. They say like 20 short sentences, jumping from one to another, each sentence one about something different. And everyone of them is the same important/not important. So most characters look different but they basically have the same attitude and character.

I say all this to help, because I'm really looking forward to GH2. There arent many sf RPGs around, and I like this one, it looks ambitious. Good luck and keep up the good work! :D

Gwendo

Augur
I think the game uses a random conversation generator, so your point 5 should be considered a feature, not a problem. :D

Camrin

Novice
Yes, the dialogs seem to be random generated, but I think that characters should differ from each other more than they do no. You know, I mean in real someone can talk like some tough guy:"been there, seen that, see my scars", and some other person is calm, quiet and shy to speak. I think before the GH authors will think about such thinks like random sentences generator (which is a cool idea btw), maybe they should try to make character's attitude (not only portraits) seem different.

But as you say, its so early release, I think final GH2 can be great, if only developers will work as much as they usually do (they seem to be hard working and sistematic species to me, so I can't ask for more ;) )

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom