Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Gavin Carter of Bethedsa speaks

triCritical

Erudite
TFVanguard said:
taks said:
personally, i think the toee engine would make a much better starting block, and i'd venture to guess most of the codex folk would agree.

"Yes, we are all individuals" :)

Actually, considering how poorly TOEE was recieved by the general public, I actually excluded it for a reason.

Hell it couldn't have been recieved worse then Deer Hunter! But yet quickie games seem to make profits...

taks

Liturgist
TFVanguard said:
Actually, considering how poorly TOEE was recieved by the general public, I actually excluded it for a reason.
actually, the ToEE engine was received EXTREMELY well by nearly everyone that played it. the one thing that stands out in nearly every review and opinion on the game is it's engine (and combat). what shot toee in the foot was everything else that was rushed out the door...

given that we're only referring to starting blocks, i'd be hard pressed to agree that toee's flaws really matter much since most of them are spit and polish game design problems. not engine issues...

taks

suibhne

Erudite
TFVanguard said:
taks said:
personally, i think the toee engine would make a much better starting block, and i'd venture to guess most of the codex folk would agree.

"Yes, we are all individuals" :)

That has absolutely nothing to do with its worth as an engine.

And, as has been pointed out repeatedly, ToEE sold better than either SoU or HotU. Maybe only 1 copy better, as Volourn so gracefully notes, but still better. I suppose you were referring to how ToEE was "recieved" by critics - but you said "by the general public," and that makes you incorrect (unless you have access to some focus-grouping which the rest of us haven't seen).

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Once again, I'll point out that TOEE a hyped up D&D game absed on the most popular D&D module of all time beating out two expansions doens't prove anything.

Let's say, for example, that TOEE sold 500k copies, and the NWN expansions sold 350k copies. Going by 30% rule (the rule for the acclaimed successful BG expansions), any TOEE expansions would be in the neighbourhood of 150k copies at best. Not exactly a ringing endorsement that TOEE beat two expansions. Geez.

And, as for the reaction by fans. Sure, lots of people bought it; but doens't mean they reacted to it positively. There was way more negativism on the baords than positivity that's for sure.

Of course, meesage boards are wont of aggressive freaks. Only actual numbers and when theyw ere sold (right away or months after rleease) or possible expansion numbers would actually tell the tale of how actual fans/customers reacted to TOEE.

triCritical

Erudite
Volourn said:
Once again, I'll point out that TOEE a hyped up D&D game absed on the most popular D&D module of all time beating out two expansions doens't prove anything.

Let's say, for example, that TOEE sold 500k copies, and the NWN expansions sold 350k copies. Going by 30% rule (the rule for the acclaimed successful BG expansions), any TOEE expansions would be in the neighbourhood of 150k copies at best. Not exactly a ringing endorsement that TOEE beat two expansions. Geez.

Dude your speaking out of your proverbial ass. Back it up with some hard facts. No he said she said shit either. Show me the links to the sales figures and prospective marketing analysis for future ToEE products. Dude Deer Hunter is the biggest piece of shit game out there and it sells like mad and makes enourmous profits.

Bottomline, they had a tiny team where 80% of the workers had no previous game experience and cut out a game in a little over 18 months. Take into account amateur voice actors, and low overhead on QA (pretty fucking obvious here) and sound, and you got yourself a DnD deer hunter.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Talkinga bout evdience; please bring some. You brought shit except talkin' shit. Don't ask for others to bring evdience if you won't return the favour. Nice try though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom