Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East is Out

Jason

chasing a bee
<strong>[ Announcement ]</strong>

Those in need of a serious grog fix will be happy to know that <a href="http://www.matrixgames.com/news/747/Gary.Grigsbys.War.in.the.East.Is.Now.Available!" target="_blank"><strong>Gary Grigsby&rsquo;s War in the East</strong></a> is out now.
<blockquote>Matrix Games and 2by3 Games (www.2by3games.com) are proud to announce that Gary Grigsby&rsquo;s War in the East is now available for purchase in the Matrix Games Online Store!  Now gamers who want to experience unparalleled realism, scope, and detail on the Eastern Front done by an award-winning development team need look no further!  Both download and physical copies are available, with the physical copy including a printed manual.
</blockquote>Check a <a href="http://www.matrixgames.com/products/372/downloads/" target="_blank">sample of that manual</a> or watch a <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lg_evADKZM" target="_blank">gameplay video</a> courtesy of Blunt Force Gamer. Don't get too excited, though, as you're looking at $79.99 for the download and $89.99 for the boxed version. Yep.
<p>Spotted @ <a href="http://bluntforcegamer.com/">Blunt Force Gamer</a></p>

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
what the fuck, $80 for a fucking standard download edition?

I'm not buying it. I'll consider it when they will lower the price to $40 or less. $80 is a bad joke.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I can imagine the warwhining that will now ensue in the Matrix forums :)

A price is determined by the number of sales in comparison with production cost, not by the expectation of the customer. One day a developer may decide to sell a very specific type of game for 500$. And why not? It is up to the buyer to decide if that investments will pay off.

If 80$ is too much, don't buy it.

The only question I ask myself, 80$ is still only 55 Euro, right? If not I'll be pissed off too.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
God damn..was waiting for this, but at that fucking price they can kiss my arse. I'll wait at least for a fully patched version in a year or two.

Yeah, it's the standard price for boxed games in Australia from the beginning of the 90's (where relatively of course it was even more than today), but for a digital download it's too much. I'd only consider it with maps and a 200 page printed manual.

Still, Divisional level combat never looked so good.

Annonchinil

Scholar
If they are going to charge $80, they should atleast release a demo. The scale seems very odd. Why do divisions and brigades if each turn is a week?

It is very in depth, I am just scratching the surface. it is the ultimate eastern front game and better than his other titles I think. I like the way movement and combat is handled and the interface is nice, but for 80 you will have to put time in that is for sure. I am still going through the tutorial PDF and the documentation is well written.

It is going to take a while to learn that is for sure. It all depends on if you want to really get into the game and learn the ropes. But I am having fun with it so far but I also play many other games at the same time. So I swap put between that and Revolution Under Siege from AGEOD

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I'm probably not going to buy soon. But wow, a serious Ostfront game. I just feel not hardcore enough for games that have only NATO counters. I also read somwhere that there is no production aspect, and that is almost a must have for me.

In any case it was a good year for strategy gamers. Scourge Of War Gettysburg. Rise of Prussia. Decisive Campaigns: Warsaw To Paris. Revolution under Siege. War in The East. If this was www.strategycodex there'd be no talk of decline.

I like the way you can make Deliberate attacks or hasty attacks in the game it adds a nice flavor.

I have some screenshots also I can try to attach

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Burning Bridges said:
I'm probably not going to buy soon. But wow, a serious Ostfront game. I just feel not hardcore enough for games that have only NATO counters. I also read somwhere that there is no production aspect, and that is almost a must have for me.

Wow, I would have you pegged as a Grigsby 'NATO counter' player from the ancient days! For me the AGEOD games are far more arcane and difficult to figure out than any NATO counter game from Grigsby or TOAW where counters were the only real way to play. You haven't lived until you've shattered the enemy front in several places and watched as the AI hastily reorganizes his units along another desperate defensive line.

How many wargames have production, except in an ability to requisition things? War in Russia allowed you to set factories to produce certain war equipment and refit units and that's about what you can do here I guess. It's not Civilization or Command and Conquer.

You haven't lived until you've shattered the enemy front in several places and watched as the AI hastily reorganizes his units along another desperate defensive line.

That sums it up right there.

Same reason I play my Panzer Campaigns in the 3D zoomed in mode with the nato symbols

The Barbarian

Liturgist
The Barbarian recommends this game highly. It is an enormous, involved enterprise - and it pains him that he can only devote pitiful dribs and drabs of time to it, for now.

If this fine community is interested, he might even review it for TCancer.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I'm sure Jason would love that. The price is pretty steep so I, at least, would have to be sure that I'd get about as much enjoyment out of it that I got from TOAW3 before buying.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
bluntforce2010 said:
You haven't lived until you've shattered the enemy front in several places and watched as the AI hastily reorganizes his units along another desperate defensive line.

That sums it up right there.

Same reason I play my Panzer Campaigns in the 3D zoomed in mode with the nato symbols

:salute:

Did you notice if you can alter the weapon production types like in Second Front/Western Front/War in Russia? I always liked to convert a factory early on to newer equipment or even hypothetical equipment(in the hope that I'd get Panthers or Tigers early), which was pretty cool even if gamewise it didn't seem to matter all that much. This is ok though as at the divisional scale, individual weapons were less important than overall cohesion and planning.

Yeesh

Magister
Burning Bridges said:
A price is determined by the number of sales in comparison with production cost, not by the expectation of the customer. One day a developer may decide to sell a very specific type of game for 500$. And why not? It is up to the buyer to decide if that investments will pay off.

I'm sure they had some analysis that lead them to this price, but I think the number of sales is probably on the other side of the equation just as much. An $80 digital download is going to put off even the niche audience the game's made for, as evidenced by comments here. I'm not second guessing them, but damn you have to imagine that price tag by itself is costing them plenty of sales.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The Barbarian said:
The Barbarian recommends this game highly. It is an enormous, involved enterprise - and it pains him that he can only devote pitiful dribs and drabs of time to it, for now.

If this fine community is interested, he might even review it for TCancer.

You bet your ass we are. PM Jason (babyarm) about it. Tacticular Cancer can always use more reviews (and reviewers).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom