Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Gaming on the Amiga article series

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Some of the Amiga->DOS music conversions are hilarious.

I've just compared the title music of Heimdall (after the intro, at the still image with the Heimdall logo and the viking dude). It's as if the Amiga composer hummed the first few bars into the phone for the guy who did the PC conversion. So the first 20-30 seconds are similar(ish), then he kinda gives up and basically starts doing his own thing. It's completely different at the end.

The MT-32 conversion of the Powermonger intro tune has some jazz like (!) runs on hammondish instrument around the end. What that's doing in a medieval score is anyone's guess... I guess the guy just liked jazz or something.

Rob Hubbard is credited for the MT-32 conversion of the Populous main theme, but I have my doubts. He certaily wrote the original Amiga version, but the MT-32 conversion sounds like some upbeat dance remix of his majestic original composition.

So yeah, these conversions can be amusing, but I wouldn't put most Amiga->DOS music conversions on the same level as the originals. Some are very respectable, though, no doubt. But the lack of custom samples shows in most of them.

EDIT: Ok, so the MT-32 conversion of Heimdall was done by the same guy, but one year later. Maybe he wanted to try something different. Could it be that Rob did the Populous dance remix too? In any case, even if the conversion was done by the same person, I prefer the original in most cases.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
From what I can tell Hubbard did all versions of the tune for DOS-port. It is played back considerably faster than on the Amiga, giving the same tune some added life.

People prefer the Adlib-version over the Roland though. The Roland is not the pinnacle of MS-DOS music, though it can make it sound amazing sometimes.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
From what I can tell Hubbard did all versions of the tune for DOS-port. It is played back considerably faster than on the Amiga, giving the same tune some added life.

People prefer the Adlib-version over the Roland though. The Roland is not the pinnacle of MS-DOS music, though it can make it sound amazing sometimes.
Yeah, AdLib/OPL can sound stellar in the right hands. The Dune soundtrack is one of my favourite game OSTs ever. I added AdLib Gold emulation to Staging for this single game; well, nothing else uses the surround module of the AdLib Gold, but it was worth it.

KGB is very good on the AdLib too.

It seems to me if a tune was originally composed as a 4-channel tracker tune, it just doesn't translate that well to MIDI, regardless if the original composer or some other guy did the conversion.

On the flipside, high-polyphony MIDI tunes don't survive the conversion to a 4-track MOD very well. The Monkey Island 1 OST is an exception, but that was done by Chris Hülsbeck.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Two other examples I can name off the top of my head that sound better on the Adlib/Sound Blaster than the Roland, are Ultima 7 (in its entirety) and Ultima Underworld (both games).

...hang on, that's technically four examples.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
and Ultima Underworld (both games).
Oh yeah, I haven't actually played those games yet, but I've messed around with the sound settings. I prefer UU on SB Pro 1 with stereo OPL sound. Only the SB Pro 1 can do that.

Especially with added reverb and chorus in Staging (which you can do on certain AWE32 boards too where the OPL path is routed through the EMU DSP), it sounds a lot more atmospheric, darker, and otherwordly than the MT-32 variant.

I've put up a config recommendation for it on our Wiki:

https://github.com/dosbox-staging/d...ndations#ultima-underworld--the-stygian-abyss

That whole "Audio config recommendations" page contains my own personal configs I created as part of testing my "reverb & chorus on any mixer channel" feature.

There are sound examples in my original release notes (UU is included with the above config):
https://dosbox-staging.github.io/releases/release-notes/0.79.0/#reverb-and-chorus

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom