Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview GameSpy gawks at Hordes of Underdark

Jed

Cipher
Volourn said:
Anyways, what are you getting at? I explained the fact that your character in SOu isn't the only important person. You could not have been successful in your mission if it wasn't for your teacher who sacrificed himself, or the asabi merchant who SAVED you from being a stone statue for all etenrity. Yeah, how greta your PC is when he's a permenant statue.
Another great Bioware example of choice: my monk's will saves we're so high, Basilisks didn't even phase me, but instead of even having a chance to try to take on the villain, I had to get turned to stone in a scripted event. Great example of non-linearity!

Rayt

Liturgist
Exitium said:
While I enjoyed Baldur's Gate (and Baldur's Gate 2 to a lesser degree due to its overabundance of stupid dungeons) here are some problems I had with BG aside from the crappy CTB mode:

1-hit die assassins (already mentioned)
+2 longswords early in the game
kobolds carrying +1 and +2 arrows.
lame mages
little or no choice in being a 'good guy'
pathfinding
no real decisionmaking

There were +2 longswords in BG1? The only +2 weapon I found was Spiders Bane and that one was somewhere in the Cloakwood Forest.

You had Kobold Commanders who shot fire arrows, they didn't have any magical enchanted missiles...though the 1d6 fire damage in combination with the 1d8 arrow damage usually meant certain death after 2 hits. God, missile weapons were so incredibly powerfull in BG1.

There weren't that many mages in BG1, compared to it's sequal. But yeah, they were quite cheesy.

You either said the asshat answer or you gave the paladin reply. Roleplaying wasn't really part of BG1. Not really a problem though: It was a fun explore hack & slash.

Pathfinding was still a bitch in IWD2..it must be something in the IE engine.

That's something Bioware has trademarked.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Section8 said:
I can dig having some poxy little assassins in the early stages of the game from a gameplay perspective, but as you said, why the hell should they find you before the competent ones?

This is precisely why the enemy should never know you're The One That Can Kill Him. If there's only one, sending a progressive series of increasingly difficult critters after the player is just lame as shit. If there's only one, and you know exactly who that is, you'd want to do something devastating to that person right off the bat. We're talking sending an army of something really, really bad after them, or some kind of uber magic at them while they're sleeping. You wouldn't want to play around, play time comes after you know there's no threat at all.

I think that's why, in my opinion, decent RPGs are few and far between, because anything thrown in for gameplay purposes rather than game world purposes just doesn't fly.

This is why I scoff at MCA's GAME LOGIC excuses he likes to use so much.

Section8

Cipher
And while I remember, all it would have taken is a single swing from one of Sarevok's henchmen to kill my character when they instead focus on Gorion, who is trivial. Not to mention the fact that you only run about 100 yards away to "safety"

Voss

Erudite
Well, you do get blasted by that flame arrow that mysteriously only does 1 point of damage. Anyone start the game with a low Con Mage? Can you actually get killed at that point if you just have 1 hp to begin with?

DrattedTin

Liturgist
I don't think it's possible to get 1 HP, unless the game doesn't discard rolls of 1s.

Voss

Erudite
Yes, but if you have a 4 or 5 Con (whichever gave -3 hp/level), it should drop your starting HP down enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom