Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News GameSpy Gamer's Choice RPG of The Year

Mistress

Liturgist
Tags: Neverwinter Nights

Well how about that - <a href="http://nwn.bioware.com/">Neverwinter Nights</a> tops the <a href="http://www.gamespy.com/goty2002/fanvote/finalresults/07_pcrpg_results.shtml">CRPG category</a> of the <a href="http://www.gamespy.com/goty2002/fanvote/finalresults/">Gamer's Choice Awards</a>. Overall in the PC category, it reaches number 4.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>"Neverwinter Nights has to be my favorite. Fame, fortune, love, sex and deceit all bundled into one game! Fantastic!"
<br>
-- Lexx87</blockquote>
<br>
Silly! You forgot the b00bies!
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>"Neverwinter Nights ... the one game to rule them all!"
<br>
-- MadCowRunner</blockquote>
<br>
Some things just shouldn't be said...
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>"I think that Neverwinter Nights was the best RPG of the year. It has a great storyline with well over 60 hours of play without the mini-quests. Also, because of the character building you could have like 30 characters and none would be the same. The DMing was a great addition and the mod comunity made some great modules for this game. I still can't get enought of it."
<br>
-- urineator</blockquote>
<br>
Sure, you could have 30 different characters - it would make no difference to the course of the game or how it plays though. As for the "great storyline", well...
<br>
<br>
In spots number two and three respectively were the more deserving <a href="http://www.elderscrolls.com">Morrowind</a> and that pretty game with lots of walking, <a href="http://www.dungeonsiege.com">Dungeon Siege</a>.
<br>
<br>
Spotted this little gem over at <a href="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPGDot</a>
<br>

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
well isnt Coka Cola the best cola ?

NWN is one of the most overhyped games ever.

And yes the single player campain sucks.

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
Lasse said:
lol it was my faverite game to but it needs light sabers i hope someoen will mod them :cry: why u mock it was best game ever i hope

well isnt Coka Cola the best cola ?

yes

Well Ok .

NWN was not so bad .

But it was so overhyped .

So it is the difference between the overhyped idea and the mediocre implementation that makes some people angry here i guess.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Lexx87 said:
"Neverwinter Nights has to be my favorite. Fame, fortune, love, sex and deceit all bundled into one game! Fantastic!"

Fame? Your role is extremely passive. You amount to little more than a gerbil running in someone else's wheel, really. About the only thing close to "fame" is that people call you the "Hero of Neverwinter" through the second chapter. Big deal. The only reason you're the hero is because Aribeth sits on her hands through the whole thing, which makes little to no sense. Why send out a pissant to save the town when you have a perfectly good FIRST PALADIN OF TYR handy?

Also, on "Fame", you get to kill quite a few of the most famous beings in Forgotten Realms in this game, yet no one mentions that. Fame? It's to laugh.

Fortune? Well, no shit. It's a monty haul. I had so much damned money in Act 3, I did't know what the hell to do with it. Sorry, I don't find stacking shitloads of gold and ph4t l3wt on a player to be a perk, really.

Love? Give me a break. The whole Fenthick/Aribeth thing was absurd.

Sex? Uh.. Where? Maybe he means tossing off to jiggly mods?

MadCowRunner said:
"Neverwinter Nights ... the one game to rule them all!"

Top Ten Replies to Said Quote

10.) One dork to overuse a quote.
9.) One cliche to rule them all.
8.) One million sheep to buy the game.
7.) Five years to soak publishers.
6.) One guy who needs to get out more.
5.) One game to return this year.
4.) Much hype to sucker them all.
3.) One patch to break it all.
2.) One path to follow through it all.
1.) One BioWare to ruin it all.

urineator said:
"I think that Neverwinter Nights was the best RPG of the year. It has a great storyline with well over 60 hours of play without the mini-quests. Also, because of the character building you could have like 30 characters and none would be the same. The DMing was a great addition and the mod comunity made some great modules for this game. I still can't get enought of it."

Okay, firstly.. That guy's name is "Urineator". The fact he can't even spell it right, and it amounts to piss humor, should be enough to make you wonder what kind of readers GameSpy has.

Secondly, 60 hours of play.. Who gives a shit? It's 60 hours of nonstop crap that involves nothing more than killing everything that's not in a town. Hell, the only reason it's 60 hours is because the whole game is built on dropping the player off in a new location, telling him to fetch 3-4 items in that area, and sending him on his way. Most of that 60 hours is wandering around, trying to figure out what the hell you're supposed to be doing to get those items.

30 characters? Really? I can only count one character role in the game.. That's GUY WHO KILLS ALL MONSTERS AND FETCHES ITEMS. You could divide this down about as far as "SPELL CASTER WHO.." and "FIGHTERY GUY WHO..", but that's about it.

Mistress

Liturgist
Lexx87 said:
"Neverwinter Nights has to be my favorite. Fame, fortune, love, sex and deceit all bundled into one game! Fantastic!"

Yes, deceit - I just love being deceived into thinking a game might be worth playing.

Saint_Proverbius said:
Top Ten Replies to Said Quote

10.) One dork to overuse a quote.
9.) One cliche to rule them all.
8.) One million sheep to buy the game.
7.) Five years to soak publishers.
6.) One guy who needs to get out more.
5.) One game to return this year.
4.) Much hype to sucker them all.
3.) One patch to break it all.
2.) One path to follow through it all.
1.) One BioWare to ruin it all.

Haha - nice.

Okay, firstly.. That guy's name is "Urineator". The fact he can't even spell it right, and it amounts to piss humor, should be enough to make you wonder what kind of readers GameSpy has.

Secondly, 60 hours of play.. Who gives a shit? It's 60 hours of nonstop crap that involves nothing more than killing everything that's not in a town. Hell, the only reason it's 60 hours is because the whole game is built on dropping the player off in a new location, telling him to fetch 3-4 items in that area, and sending him on his way. Most of that 60 hours is wandering around, trying to figure out what the hell you're supposed to be doing to get those items.

30 characters? Really? I can only count one character role in the game.. That's GUY WHO KILLS ALL MONSTERS AND FETCHES ITEMS. You could divide this down about as far as "SPELL CASTER WHO.." and "FIGHTERY GUY WHO..", but that's about it.

The person's choice of name really explains it all I feel.

60 hours of play - well, I have no idea how long I played - but it was far far too long, Considering most of the time I played was spent wandering around completely pointless dungeons and caves, I really don't find the claims regarding massive gameplay too impressive.

Exactly. You could make 30 characters that look different, are different genders and races, and are different classes - but it doesn't make any difference whatsoever to the game, so what's the point? Just to see the spell effects for magic users?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Mistress said:
Yes, deceit - I just love being deceived into thinking a game might be worth playing.

The sad part is that it's not very GOOD deceit in NWN. The game damned well tells you it's coming. The whole point of deceit is that you're deceived. If you're told it's coming, you're not being deceived at all because you're expecting it.

The sad part is, the game does this twice in a row. First Desther does it, which is obvious he's going to do it. Then Aribeth does it, which is also heavily foreshadowed. It's neither interesting nor shocking either time. It's just poorly done.

Haha - nice.

It was just too easy to do that. :)

60 hours of play - well, I have no idea how long I played - but it was far far too long, Considering most of the time I played was spent wandering around completely pointless dungeons and caves, I really don't find the claims regarding massive gameplay too impressive.

What gets me is that in Act 2 and Act 3, the guy you're answering to is the intelligence person for that region, yet he never knows much at all about anything. "Okay, player, I'm the intelligence dude. We think the MOST SACRED ARTIFACTS are here in this region. Go get them." Wow, I hope this guy isn't well paid for his work.

Exactly. You could make 30 characters that look different, are different genders and races, and are different classes - but it doesn't make any difference whatsoever to the game, so what's the point? Just to see the spell effects for magic users?

I also like that those classes can't stand well on their own through the game because of the way the single player is designed. You have to have a sidekick just to make sure you have the bases covered.

Mistress

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
The sad part is that it's not very GOOD deceit in NWN. The game damned well tells you it's coming. The whole point of deceit is that you're deceived. If you're told it's coming, you're not being deceived at all because you're expecting it.

The sad part is, the game does this twice in a row. First Desther does it, which is obvious he's going to do it. Then Aribeth does it, which is also heavily foreshadowed. It's neither interesting nor shocking either time. It's just poorly done.

Yes - it's extremely annoying that you know what's coming, your character knows what's coming, and yet this fact has no effect on the game. Nice one!

What gets me is that in Act 2 and Act 3, the guy you're answering to is the intelligence person for that region, yet he never knows much at all about anything. "Okay, player, I'm the intelligence dude. We think the MOST SACRED ARTIFACTS are here in this region. Go get them." Wow, I hope this guy isn't well paid for his work.

Yeah, that guy really annoyed me. As did most of the NPCs in the game - especially those two in the inn - Ander and whatever the other one was called. The fact that they just keep saying the same thing over and over and over while you're in the inn really started to grate....(just to go off the original topic a little ;) ) Everything is just completely half-assed.

I also like that those classes can't stand well on their own through the game because of the way the single player is designed. You have to have a sidekick just to make sure you have the bases covered.

Yes - and the henchmen were also, really really well designed. *sigh*

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Neverwinter Nights is the definition of a shitfest. Here are the main features that give it that definition:

* Equal the price of 2-6 better games.
* Storyline fit for a Power Rangers episode
* Zero player characterization
* More than 60 hours of inanity
* Phat l3wt

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Exitium said:
Neverwinter Nights is the definition of a shitfest. Here are the main features that give it that definition:

* Equal the price of 2-6 better games.
* Storyline fit for a Power Rangers episode
* Zero player characterization
* More than 60 hours of inanity
* Phat l3wt

Actually, the Power Rangers are the main characters of the episodes. NWN has that, "You're just a peon taking orders" feel about it.

I agree about the characterization too. Beyond combat stuff, there was very little "feeling" in what you were doing, especially with the dialogue which really didn't seem to matter much at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom