Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gamespot Reader Reviews Shivering Isles!!!

Dpayne

Scholar
My major complaint is probably about the women seeing as how every woman in the game seems to have the same god damn face. Rugged looking men is one thing (even if there was a serious lack of beautiful, beautiful, beautiful boys), but the complete lack of variety in the women was just fucking magical.

Top Hat

Scholar
I don't know why you people are surprised as to the hideousness of the people in Oblivion.

You have seen the picture of Todd and Pete, haven't you?

Cimmerian Nights

Liturgist
What happened to the 'hat-tipping' schtick dude?
todddd.jpg

GreatGreen

Novice
I've played the shivering isles and I'm thinking less and less of it with each passing minute.

To me, the whole point of being in a "mad dimension" is to be enveloped by that dimension. Like some of you have said, this was a tremendous opportunity for Bethesda to draw players in and really make them feel like they're in some other strange and mysterious universe where you're always on you guard because "anything could happen at any moment" because this, after all, is a dimension of madness, where your own mind is your worst enemy and all that.

However, the world (an integral part of all TES games) feels closer to a cheap theme park. For example, take the two realms of the isles, mania and dementia. The "separation factor" is incredibly cheesy. You'd expect drastic differences between these places. What I mean is that you'd think that if you were in the colorful, vibrant world of Mania, all it would take would be a single step into dementia and the entire world would change under your feet. Weather, atmosphere, ambiance, mood, color, mindset, all that stuff should immediately shift into the darker, more abysmal and hopeless dementia. Basically, I expected the shift to be something like the movie "What Dreams May Come" where Robin Williams travels from his version of a vibrant, colorful, painted heaven to his scuicided wife's demented version of a dark, grey, dilapidated, static, oppressive hell.

Wrong.

Traveling from Mania to Dementia means that in the parts of the map that are supposed to be "Dementia," the grass texture changes to a little bit greyer color and the speed tree setting was turned from "big mushrooms" to "dead trees." The sky doesn't even change brightness or color. It feels like the exact same place, only with tweaked vegetation settings. Hell, you can even see the color of the mushrooms in the distance. Not a very separating effect. You'd think that if they had the "oblivion sky effect" for when you got close to a gate, they would try something with the same isolating effect, but they didn't. Very cheap and amature feeling, like walking around a county fair.

Oh, and something else that pisses me off to no end about the land in both Oblivion and Shivering Isles. Every bit of land in the world, aside from roads and town centers, is at least at a 30 degree angle. Bethesda were so fucking obsessed with realistic erosion patterns and making the land pretty for screenshots that they forgot they were making a fucking video game, where relatively flat surfaces are best for characters to walk on. I can't tell you how many times I couldn't look around and enjoy the sights or even see an enemy because I was using all my concentration on trying to walk up a damn wall of a hill by doing that thing where the land is too steep so you skid back and fourth looking for that exploitable patch of land that *will* let you walk up it. Bethesda, make the god damn land flatter next time around.

Sorry, didn't mean to spend so much time on just the aesthetics of the world, btw. Just wanted to give an idea of the incompetence going on here.

Also, I'm not too fond of the ruler of the realm, Sheogorath. He's too wild and active to be the ruler of anything. Very unconvincing. He seems more like the court jester than the king. This totally goes against at least my version of what he should be.

To me, true madness is the *potential* for total chaos at any moment, thinly veiled by the calm of your immediate surroundings, like waiting for something terrible that you just know will happen any second but hasn't happened yet. Totally unfounded paranoia. That is the feeling of madness to me. Sheogorath wasn't like that. To personify my definition of madness, Sheogorath should have been a more reserved individual, soft but steadily and intently spoken, with maybe even a hint of anger in his voice with undertones of "something just isn't right here," because that would leave the player guessing, and guessing leads to paranoia, and bam, the player might start to feel real apprehension and uneasiness, which is similar to the madness I was talking about earlier. Instead, he maintained the subtlety of a sledge hammer to the face and might as well had a neon sign above his head that said "Look how crraaayyyzzzeee I am! Woohoo! You never know what I'll do because I'm CRAZY AND MAD LOL!!!" I didn't really buy it.

Quests suck, too. Right now my character is on a quest to gather a type of ingredient from a certain type of enemy. Eating the ingredient will open a door or something, and I have to go through the door to continue on, but the enemy is incredibly rare and worse, the drop rate for the fucking ingredient is incredibly low. I've all but circled the whole damn island 5 times and seen three of the fucking enemy I need. None of them dropped the ingredient.

The ONE redeeming factor of Shivering Isles though, are the dungeons... or at least the one I've gone through so far. The atmosphere of the dungeons are great. Actually, the dungeons feel way more like my idea of "dementia" than the official land of Dementia ever could. They're dark, dilapidated, and indicidual chambers are sized just right between claustrophobia and emptiness, and the enemies are tough enough to make you fear them.

Overall, Shivering Isles is basically an exercise in looking at a product and at almost every point saying to yourself "Man, what lazy programming. This could have been done 100x better if only..." The thing that really gets me though is just how good of an idea the whole maddness theme is for a video game, and how hard the team must have had to work to screw it all up.

Drakron

Arcane
GreatGreen said:
Quests suck, too. Right now my character is on a quest to gather a type of ingredient from a certain type of enemy. Eating the ingredient will open a door or something, and I have to go through the door to continue on, but the enemy is incredibly rare and worse, the drop rate for the fucking ingredient is incredibly low. I've all but circled the whole damn island 5 times and seen three of the fucking enemy I need. None of them dropped the ingredient.

You are talking about the chalice quest?

The enemy that carry then always flash green and you miss the point of the quest, its a race to the chalice and yes, they are rare but they are inside the dungeon ... just race to the chalice and the negative effects go away.

If you are talking about other quest ... well wrong area, you should have not eat it to open the door since you are not supposed to go there until the Duke of Mania gives the quest for the chalice.

Nedrah

Erudite
This thread sucks.

Wow, we hate Shivering Isles.
The shitstorm is long over.
It's an expansions to oblivion - a game that you can't make a thread about without beating a terribly dead horse.

What the fuck is anyone trying to prove here?

Carbohydrated

Novice
See my motherfucking spaceship? This is a Dodge.
I haven't played SI yet or even tried the newest patch, but apparently it's fucking over a lot of mods, and many of them need to be updated. Oh boy, I can't wait to go home next week install the patch and see how haywire my game will get because half the mods need an overhaul!

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
Carbohydrated said:
I haven't played SI yet or even tried the newest patch, but apparently it's fucking over a lot of mods, and many of them need to be updated. Oh boy, I can't wait to go home next week install the patch and see how haywire my game will get because half the mods need an overhaul!
Only frans and texture packs seem to be affected

Texas Red

Whiner
Carbohydrated said:

Why do you need to use mods? According to the reviews Oblivion is perfect already.

Lumpy

Arcane
Carbohydrated said:
Ahzaruuk said:
Only frans and texture packs seem to be affected

There's a lot more than that. These are only a few, I believe.

Why do you need to use mods? According to the reviews Oblivion is perfect already.

DUN FALL FOR THE HYPE!!! The mod community made the game better than the beth devs could ever hope to achieve.
Listen. I'll try to be civil, but you're just trolling. If you hate Oblivion, your loss, it's a great game, but stay the hell out of our forum. The last thing we need is a bunch of whiners denying the quality of this great game. Go somewhere else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom