Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games you liked but everyone else despised

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 (yes the NWN2 original campaign)
Master of Orion 3. Not a great game but I loved some things about it.
Far Cry 2
Just Cause 1 and 2.
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (One of the best games of all time, but apparently sold really poorly)

spectre

Arcane
Panzer General 3 and 3D. I liked the whole system centered around promotions, units having multiple actions and abilities.
Realism suffered and the 3d was fugly, but I could live with that.
It also crashed on a whim and is unfortunately impossible to run on Win7.

Kawaii Theurgist

Liturgist
Menzoberranzan. Koudelka. Daughter of the Serpent. Stonekeep. Was Ultima 8 actually panned by everyone? That one too then, I guess. Sea Dogs and Caribean Tales, too. Harbinger, though of that one I just liked the weirdness and the characters and the setting. Then there's Infernal, a pretty bad game I actually enjoyed pretty much. Or maybe I just have a weakness for guys with goatees. And... And... *gulps*... Hellgate: London. *hangs head in shame* Game sucks pretty badly, yet I can't but fall for any and all apocalyptic scenarios featuring kawaii little demons.

And just like MeanwhileinPoland I bloody love Jade Empire, and to this day it is the only Bioware game I actually like. More or less.

And then there's Freelancer. Game's awful compared to Starlancer or, like, Freespace, or even many of those obscure rusian space pew pew games, yet I had so much fun with it...

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
sgc_meltdown said:
completed both need for speed undergrounds

in interest of full disclosure I used bodymods and spoilers and even that neon thing that just lights up the ground underneath your car all to max out the style points

don't cry for me bros

Doesn't really fit the topic bro (unless he's refering to the codex specifically?).

The NFSU's were great arcade racers and both well reviewed and enjoyed by millions.....

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Kawaii Theurgist said:
Menzoberranzan.

Hey, that was my 1st cRPG! I freakin' LOVED it.
:love:

I'm a bit afraid to replay it, though, given that it's universally considered shit. Let it R.I.P. Along with many many other first-person cRPGs I played back then -- I mean, I enjoyed most of them, but I can easily imagine how horrible they really were.

oscar

Arcane
Shannow said:
VtM:Redemption

And now the morons call it a Diablo-clone :x

Tell me more. Been considering giving it a play for a while now, mainly because I'm a sucker for the setting.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Final Fantasy IX - the game hated equally here and by ardent fans of the series. It's been a while since I played it, though.

There's also M&M VIII I played almost religiously back in the day.

Return to Krondor was quite neat in spite of being a massive let down after BaK.

Lastly, I lost countless hours on Warlords BattleCry 2 - now I'm not sure exactly why I did that.

Hm...

If it were the list of games universally hated by mainstream it would have been larger

Marobug said:
I'll start.

Boiling+Point+Road+to+Hell.jpg

Yeah it was completely broken but it was a pretty unique experience. I'm still waiting for someone to make me another great gta-style game played in the first person perspective.

There is a sequel to this already released. Apparently a much better game, though i have not been able to source the English version..what was the name..

Aha, got it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Gold ... n_Paradise

Pope Amole

Educated
Heroes of Might and Magic IV - sure, it's not like other heroes games, but that doesn't stop it from having interesting and, possibly, superior gameplay. I dunno how good it is in multiplayer, but I always viewed it as a strategy/RPG singleplayer hybrid and it never failed to deliver in this part - game's tactical and character options are so much broader than its predecessors that you could probably write a beefy article on their description only. You just have more choices there - what combination of skills to gain for your hero (that's more of a choice than in 1-3 since almost all of the skills, with the exception of some of the 4th ones, are potent), what combination of heros to get, which monster dwellings to build (this one could be better - some of the choices were badly balanced), which spells to use (because suddenly they stopped being either broken or useless and started to feel balanced, more or less), which items and artifacts to use... I've just always found that with this broader approach the game was more interesting to play and replay, because even if there was a battle seemingly impossible to win, you could always search through this vast bag of tricks, find the right one and do the improbable. Maybe they shouldn't have named it as Heroes of M&M, maybe they should've some another brand, Warlords of M&M or whatever and then the reception would've been softer (and, of course, having a longer, un-rushed development cycle and better addons would've helped too), but still, that's a good game and most of the critique I see towards it in the net is really, really moronic.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
HoMM IV - awesome music, heroes in combat being... heroic, some other cool stuff - mainly skill system and classes.

Master of Orion 3 - for the beauty of up to scale galactic empires and wars with hundreds of ships and planets. And I like spreadsheets, sue me.

I think thats it from games I liked while everyone hated.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Chalk me up as another for HoMM 4. Best music and art out of the entire series by far, and despite the popular complaints I had a ton of fun with it.

Raapys

Arcane
Malakal said:
HoMM IV - awesome music, heroes in combat being... heroic, some other cool stuff - mainly skill system and classes.

Master of Orion 3 - for the beauty of up to scale galactic empires and wars with hundreds of ships and planets. And I like spreadsheets, sue me.

I think thats it from games I liked while everyone hated.
These, and probably a few more I can't recall. I've a very diverse taste in games and too much time on my hands, so even if I don't initially like a game I often end up playing it enough to find something to like about it.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Excidium said:
I had a lot of fun with WOW, TBC had some great boss encounters.
Also played the whole Dynasty/Samurai Warriors series in co-op with my brother and had tons of fun,
Final Fantasy IX is my favorite and XIII was pretty good too,
And Just Cause 2 is fucking great...

Unwanted

Zinc

Unwanted
Another shout for Thief 3 here. It was an incredibly enjoyable experience for me. Perhaps in part because I never played the first 2 games, so I had no prejudice.

Exhumed (Powerslave in the US) is my call. It was disparaged as a Doom-clone when it first hit the shelves back in 1997, but I instantly fell in love with it.

It's worth noting that I have never played the original Doom, so again, had no prejudice in that respect.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
sea said:
Destroid said:
Unreal 2 (+XMP).
Spellcaster said:
Thief 3 – This one suffers from two "problems" that tend to give it a bad name: the fact that it’s a sequel to the best stealth games ever made (and some of the best games ever, period), which is a very difficult post to be improved even more, and the unfair comparisons with Deus Ex 2 (this one, a horrible game). T3 is very far from being the bad game that many idiots try to make it be.
Was going to mention this as well, but it slipped my mind. Don't agree with Invisible War being outright horrible, but Thief III is a very solid entry and deserves a play, even if ultimately it's still sort of the same old thing with nicer graphics.

What? "Even" if it's still sort of the same old thing with nicer graphics? That would have been fine, the problem was the engine - the small environments. Anyway, I agree that it's an alright game, I didn't hate it exactly, whereas I vomit a little at the mention of Invisible War. The story got a nice conclusion, it's worth a play if only for that.

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (One of the best games of all time, but apparently sold really poorly)

Not sure how sold poorly equals to "everyone despised"

oscar said:
Shannow said:
VtM:Redemption

And now the morons call it a Diablo-clone :x

Tell me more. Been considering giving it a play for a while now, mainly because I'm a sucker for the setting.

Seconded

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Admiral jimbob said:
Storm of Zehir
Oh yeah, this one too.

I was tempted to add FC2 to the list, but I didn't like it THAT much, even though I seem to hate it less than most. But SOZ is awesome.

Mmm... maybe Two Worlds too? Had lots of fun with it.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
meanwhileInPoland said:
dragon age 2 :smug:

and i fucking love jade empire :shock:

...I think we'll have to deprive you of your monocle and top hat now.

My secret shame is that I've had tons of fun playing Gears of War 1 and 2 on my fagbox. I'm probably getting the third on release as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom