Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games worth playing for people who don't have too much time to spend in front of a PC

revani

Novice
Any of the classic Looking Glass or Looking Glass-adjacent games - Deus Ex, Thief, System Shock 1/2, etc. Intuitive and easy-to-learn stuff that starts fast and aren't very serious or pretentious.

They're also not ridiculously long, ranging pretty consistently from around 15-25 hours to complete.
I feel like this is the best option, sounds like OP wants depth but not autism level depth. The immersive Sim stuff is good for dropping in without have to put too much mental thought up front but still have some depth if you want to go deeper but at a slower pace. Newer stuff like Dishonored 1 & 2, Prey and maybe like the System Shock remake I hear are good.
If you're limited on time those kind of games can be quite difficult to pick up and play. You don't want to stop half way through a 'dungeon' but you have to stop playing. Then you're picking it up mid-dungeon and you may have forgot which path you were planning to take or even your objectives. Immersive sims benefit from having a long playing session where you can get stuck into quests without taking a serious break or you end up with a huge quest log and no idea what you need to do next.
Fair, I didn't explain my "lack of time" properly cause I wanted the thread to be less about myself and more about giving ideas to people who can't find the time playing video games.

I work 9 to 6 as a developer, and I don't really like spending time in front of a screen at this point even if I have the time for myself. Shit like dumb dialogue and bad mechanics make me question what I'm doing with my life. So if I'm not having good time from the get go, imma drop that shit cause I'm not gonna go through it for 50 more hours just for the sake of completing what I started before. I don't enjoy playing video games as much as before basically, but I still have the instinct to learn every single detail about something I like. So long-ass cRPGs don't work for me anymore because I know there's going to be a week long break at some point due to real life even if I enjoy it, then I'll try to figure out what the fuck was happening when I return.

Games like thief where the levels are clearly defined (and feel like take place in an entirely different setting at times) work well tho. It's been a while but I remember taking a break after finishing a section of a level, and getting back to it without a problem. Being able to take notes on the map also helps because I'm not gonna bother doing that shit IRL. All this talk makes me wanna replay honestly, I can see myself sitting down to play a level for 3-4 hours on a weekend fuck it why not

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Any of the classic Looking Glass or Looking Glass-adjacent games - Deus Ex, Thief, System Shock 1/2, etc. Intuitive and easy-to-learn stuff that starts fast and aren't very serious or pretentious.

They're also not ridiculously long, ranging pretty consistently from around 15-25 hours to complete.
I feel like this is the best option, sounds like OP wants depth but not autism level depth. The immersive Sim stuff is good for dropping in without have to put too much mental thought up front but still have some depth if you want to go deeper but at a slower pace. Newer stuff like Dishonored 1 & 2, Prey and maybe like the System Shock remake I hear are good.
If you're limited on time those kind of games can be quite difficult to pick up and play. You don't want to stop half way through a 'dungeon' but you have to stop playing. Then you're picking it up mid-dungeon and you may have forgot which path you were planning to take or even your objectives. Immersive sims benefit from having a long playing session where you can get stuck into quests without taking a serious break or you end up with a huge quest log and no idea what you need to do next.
Fair, I didn't explain my "lack of time" properly cause I wanted the thread to be less about myself and more about giving ideas to people who can't find the time playing video games.

I work 9 to 6 as a developer, and I don't really like spending time in front of a screen at this point even if I have the time for myself. Shit like dumb dialogue and bad mechanics make me question what I'm doing with my life. So if I'm not having good time from the get go, imma drop that shit cause I'm not gonna go through it for 50 more hours just for the sake of completing what I started before. I don't enjoy playing video games as much as before basically, but I still have the instinct to learn every single detail about something I like. So long-ass cRPGs don't work for me anymore because I know there's going to be a week long break at some point due to real life even if I enjoy it, then I'll try to figure out what the fuck was happening when I return.

Games like thief where the levels are clearly defined (and feel like take place in an entirely different setting at times) work well tho. It's been a while but I remember taking a break after finishing a section of a level, and getting back to it without a problem. Being able to take notes on the map also helps because I'm not gonna bother doing that shit IRL. All this talk makes me wanna replay honestly, I can see myself sitting down to play a level for 3-4 hours on a weekend fuck it why not
Have you tried rainbow six? Those games have the same single level experiences. Trepang 2 has the same thing going on and it works well. If you like Thief you will love Hitman.

revani

Novice

Have you tried rainbow six? Those games have the same single level experiences. Trepang 2 has the same thing going on and it works well. If you like Thief you will love Hitman.
Oh I love Hitman (except for the that one game that should be forgotten). Good reminder, I need to play the III some time
Rainbow Six - played the first one a little bit in some internet cafe as a kid. Also some Siege with friends but I know that's very different. Which one would you recommend?
Trepang2 - First time I'm hearing about this. Looks like a nice one to let off some steam.

That backlog is already manifesting :shredder:

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Rainbow Six - played the first one a little bit in some internet cafe as a kid. Also some Siege with friends but I know that's very different. Which one would you recommend?
I only played the original too. I was thinking of games with a mission system like Thief has. A lot of old FPS games like Doom and Quake use it too.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How about games in the X-com genre? Like X-com itself, or the modern ones, or maybe Xenonauts? Easy to pick up, and return to after breaks. Fun too, of course.

laclongquan

Arcane
Valkyrie Chronicles.
I actually bought years ago after hearing about it here, couldn't get myself to start because of how anime it is. I'll keep it in mind
Precisely because you have little time to play that you dont need games with deep immershun. Lightweight fantasy style is just what you need to get in quickly, and get out just as quickly
- You dont really need to care who this anime guy is, what's his story, what's his background. YOu just need to learn how to manipulate him an other characters in battle map.
- Anime style also help you into groove quickly, and very fast out of it. You dont need to keep in your head what's Chosen One need to do to find Raiders' Camp, or how terrible the dream Hakunin is. Why would you need to immerse in it when you have so litle time to play?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Title. I have about 4-5 hours a week to spend on video games. It used to be fun to frequent this place to see what's worth checking out, and it's getting harder to find the time for that too. But I want to believe the Codex is still full of pricks with high standards and good taste - at least by internet standards. Show me I'm not wrong.

What I'm looking to avoid:
- Long tutorials and lots of hand holding. I'm fine spending the time trying to figure things out (even w trial & error) as long as it feels rewarding. But I'm not gonna sit down and listen the game explain me something that I could have easily grasped myself.
- Intricate stories that take way too long to unwind. Let me be clear, I used to put games like PST, Kotor 2 and MotB in a padestal. They were my holy trinity when it comes to writing. But even those games are decent at best, compared to real literature (i.e. books). And I can't really enjoy such games these days, I'll forget most of the details because my next session will be 4 days later.
- Same goes for games where I have to build my character very carefully, to the level of autism (Underrail). They used to be fun, but if I'm going to spend 20 mins in the level up screen only to not remember what I'm going for the next time I play, what's the point?
- Any level of pretentiousness. Talking about designers who think they came up with some kind of genious idea (can be about writing, combat, whatever). A turd is a turd even if it smells different. Pillars of Eternity goes into this category. Pathfinder: Kingmaker is the opposite of it imo (but even a chapter of it is too fucking long to get through right now)
- All the other bullshit that's an insult to one's intelligence, not going into detail since codex is what it is.

So naturally I've been drawn to roguelites over the last few years. Near perfect games in what they're trying to do, like FTL and Slay the Spire. Against the Storm has been fun lately but it's getting too repetitive. Really don't care about the genre tho, as long as I can enjoy the game by spending a few hours a week. So I'm giving you a chance to shill your favorite game that fills my criteria. Go

how's Colony Ship? I enjoyed AoD even though I was meh about its CYOA nature and all the teleporting. But these things actually work for me nowadays.

edit: come on mods, a 13 year old account shouldn't need approval to post here. I know people that age. happy new year btw

edit2: I'm stuck waiting for mod approval for my replies, but all the recommendations are appreciated. :salute:

edit3: I realize the question is too broad, but so are my tastes. Feel free to recommend whatever you love, I might call it shit but I won't judge you.

loads brother

Heroes 3, Dota, Counterstrike, etc.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Title. I have about 4-5 hours a week to spend on video games.
Assuming you can still play in sizable chunks, even if your average time per week is limited, you should simply look for games that offer a shorter but higher quality experience, preferably with natural stopping points. In RPGs, for example, the real-time blobber genre that began with Dungeon Master (1987, download a replication from my signature) has discrete levels and offers a great, albeit relatively brief, experience. Since your account is from 2011 and you've hardly posted, you might have missed out entirely on Legend on Grimrock (2012), where the greatest weakness is that it's too much of an homage to Dungeon Master, and the sequel Legend of Grimrock II (2014), which expanded on the formula. And of course there are many other real-time blobbers from back in the day, starting with the Dungeon Master sequel Chaos Strikes Back (1989).

You could also consider the recent renaissance in squad-based tactics games with RPG elements. These generally have discrete missions or maps, which would mesh with your schedule. Troubleshooter (2020) is the best of these, but it's quite a lengthy game, so you might prefer Dungeon of Naheulbeuk (2020, Tactical RPG), Wasteland 3 (2020, Tactical RPG and Codex GotY), Urtuk (2021), Solasta (2021, Tactical RPG), King Arthur: Knight's Tale (2022), Jagged Alliance 3 (2023), or others.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
You can check out Islanders, Dorf Romantik for leisure time after a long, hard day at work. They always calmed me and even got high scores!
The Last Spell is a fantastic tactical game that can be played in short sessions. Great gameplay with great soundtrack. Still amazed that how it is ignored by many Codexers.
Against the Storm is a nice city builder that also can be played in short sessions but beware, it can be very captivating and addictive.

revani

Novice
Title. I have about 4-5 hours a week to spend on video games.
Since your account is from 2011 and you've hardly posted, you might have missed out entirely on Legend on Grimrock (2012), where the greatest weakness is that it's too much of an homage to Dungeon Master, and the sequel Legend of Grimrock II (2014), which expanded on the formula.
I heard about Grimrock here too, played it drawing maps on paper (that's not happening today). I thought the genre had more potential than what Grimrock offered, so I wanted to get into classics like Eye of the Beholder but I never had the time to do so (and also ended up skipping the second game). Gives me an idea tho, I need to check how these dungeon crawlers play on my phone with Magic DosBos

Bro I was here when ADMIRAL BOOBJIM was making codex comics with source engine. I mean codex drama is more fun than majority of video games. I think I created my account because otherwise you couldn't read the treasure that is GD. I can still recogize the OGs here, at least the ones who haven't changed their avatars. I know the above poster is my fellow countryman, I also remember the butthurt turk before his time. Fucking weird when you think about it. No regrets about not participating tho lol

Jagged Alliance 3 (2023)
whoah, so this is actually good?

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
- Anime style also help you into groove quickly, and very fast out of it. You dont need to keep in your head what's Chosen One need to do to find Raiders' Camp, or how terrible the dream Hakunin is. Why would you need to immerse in it when you have so litle time to play?
If someone says something is too anime for them to enjoy telling them being anime is a perk and it will help them enjoy it more is not only wrong but insulting. There's plenty of games I think look interesting but make me want to puke with their weeb elements.

OP, might be interested in RTS games like Dawn of war, Warcraft or Command and conquer. Or even something like Cannon fodder or Commandos series. They're all mission based with clear objectives to pick back up if you have to take an extended break.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Freshly forged family man myself, with our child born in 2023, I can relate. I only have short (1-2 hrs) gaming sessions every week or so.

I have found the following games to be excellent for this, as they do not waste time with bad dialogues, cutscenes, having to walk around an empty world and other trappings of modern gaming. Also, there is (for me) no time needed to immerse in them, and can easily pick up again next session.

Puzzle/Adventure:
The Case of the Golden Idol: Fantastic, my favorite gaming experience of last year. And that is with that super limited gaming time! There is absolutely no time wasted with this game. Right away you are in the gameplay, which is great (puzzle solving/deduction). No long cutscenes, no long dialogues, not too much text, no walking around, just screens with all information right there. Highly recommended. It was perfect for me. It is also very relaxing, no tension, which I found very nice.

Turn-based Tactical games: (turn-based is great to play while having a beer or whisky :familyman: )

Troubleshooter : The length of the missions perfectly fits with the length of my gaming session, one mission in one gaming evening! However there are tons of mechanics and customizations, and the game in general is long. Still recommended, underrated on the Dex. A bit anime style though.

King Arthur Knight's tale: Perfect mission length, no time needed for immersion, to the point, excellent tactics game, outstanding atmosphere. No cutscenes, walking around aimlessly, dumb dialogues etc. Just the content right away, oldschool design. Having a blast with this recently. Just play it.

BTW, Playing Fury of the Furries with the stepkids though in DosBox, great fun (20 mins max sessions), old arcade puzzle platformer

Last edited:

Gostak

Educated
It sounds like there is a slight chance you might be a person that would get quite a mileage out of
playing some Space Station 13.
So, I figured why not drop that in here.
Even if you're likely already aware of its existence.

However it'd pay off to do bother with a .txt in that case, so there's that.

As a programmer you will likely find the interface to be too atrocious (and things to not be intuitive enough).
There are the two remakes that work on breaking "the curse", Space Station 14 and Unity Station but honestly
I'm not up to-date on their current status and they are likely to still miss some good stuff from the original still.

I fear it may feel too non-casual for you by now, though.

"So if I'm not having good time from the get go, imma drop that shit"
Depends how much you'd enjoy your first round it seems.
And that will also greatly be down to random factors even when you stick to e.g. /tg/station.

Vids that give a good impression:

and of course this might also "sell" it:

J1M

Arcane
The Witness. A lot of the gameplay can take place in your head between sessions.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Jagged Alliance 3 (2023)
whoah, so this is actually good?
GiMYwC6.png

Jagged Alliance 3 won't please those who are solely and entirely devoted to a heavily-modded fan version of JA2, but it's a worthy game in its own right.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Not necessarily RPGs...
  • Dave the Diver has a very satisfying gameplay loop and is segmented so you can very organically stop more or less whenever you need to in roughly 10 minute increments. This may well be the best overall game released last year - very casual and relaxing, but not boring or lacking challenge.
  • Tape to Tape: it's an arcade hockey roguelike. Still in EA, but I like it and the arcade hockey is well done.
  • Dungeon of Naheulbeuk - another tactics RPG with French humour based on tabletop stuff
  • +1 vote for Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children
  • Warhammer 40k: Shootas, Blood, & Teef: it's short, an arcade run & gun that's basically a 40k skin on Metal Slug, also it's hilarious. Arguably the best use of the 40k license since Dawn of War. (Also, nothing at all like Dawn of War.)
  • Halls of Torment: kind of like Vampire Survivors, but gives you more control over the character's attacks and abilities. Far better than VS imo.
  • Potato Flowers in Full Bloom: dungeon crawler RPG, but small scale and should be completable in a reasonable time frame even with your constraints. Possibly fairly simplistic for you though.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
It sounds like there is a slight chance you might be a person that would get quite a mileage out of
playing some Space Station 13.
That thing is not in any way shape or form recommendable any more. It's like saying "you're looking for porn? Look up Goonclown!" The game was always a cluster fuck of the worst people and it's gone down the same path as TF2 where only the most degenerate people are left.. except TF2 is limited in functionality and SS13 is a role playing furries dream game.

spectre

Arcane
The Last Spell is a fantastic tactical game that can be played in short sessions. Great gameplay with great soundtrack. Still amazed that how it is ignored by many Codexers.
Bumping this one. It was a surprise hit for me. One might be tempted to file it under "tower defense", in a sense that you're protecting a square shaped town against hordes of incoming undead,
but it plays like a bona-fide tactical game where you get to develop a squad of heroes who move around the map and gratuitously execute swaths of enemies.

It's a roguelite with levelups, different types of gear (each enabling different tactics and synergies) as well as some rudimentary economy management.
Plenty of goodness, feels properly heroic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom