Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games Workshop doesn't know what the fuck its doing

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Noise Marine - 20 Points
Benefits over normal marines: +1I, Fearless
Ability to pay 40 points for a single blastmaster (WTF) or 5 points per model for sonic blasters
Squad of 8: 160

Slaanesh Marked Chaos Marine - 15 Points each, +20 points for the Icon
Benefits over normal Marines: +1I
Squad of 8: 140

So, what the fuck is the point of Noise Marines? You aren't getting anything for those 20 extra points and the additional guns (that you have to pay even more for) are not very powerful, and the more normal marines you add, the more that icon is worth. GW, Bethesda of the tabletop world?

Zomg

Arbiter
I always suspected that they point-priced stuff depending on their net per-figurine profit.

The fact that they haven't made an awesome tactical game in the Warhammer 40k setting which would let you assault entire planets, command armadas and such is proof they've got no idea what they're doing. That would be an absolutely amazing game.

I'm rather sick of the squad fights or small battalion skirmishes. I want a total intergalactic warfare game. Plus, orbital bombardment and virus bombs would be quite fun.

The_Pope

Scholar
WH40k is about cool looking miniatures and good backstory, not balance or gameplay. I don't get why you'd actually play it, just read the codices.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The old Undead army was proof that they don't have a fucking clue what they're doing. Or maybe it just meant they loathe the undead.

I'm not sure it got better with their new Khemri and Vampire armies.

PS:
Of course, from a business point of view, they clearly know what they are doing: They're getting people to buy their ridiculously overproced shit, and once most players have a complete army, they change the rules, introduce a bunch of new units and make some old ones useless so players can put them on a shelf.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
No doubt about that. All of the stuff that was underpowered and nobody bought (Terminators are the biggest example) was buffed while everything everyone already owns (including basic CSM) was nerfed.

dagorkan

Arbiter
I noticed that from the transition from (I think) 4th ed to 5th ed. Previously you could work out exactly how many points something would cost from the base attributes, options, equipment, special rules etc. They didn't tell you but I managed to find the formulas which worked out in 97% of cases across different armies... stuff like STR was +2 pts, being mounted doubled equipment cost, fearless was +5 etc.

Suddenly with the new edition all those rules were broken and you saw way more inconsistencies of the type you point to. Seems like they just decided to make things up or decide based on 'what felt right'.

obediah

Erudite
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Er...computerized version actually. Something like X-COM, but modified perhaps.

Have you played the Fading Suns game? It's pretty neat, and the setting is 100% nutworthy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom