Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games with great, satisfying endings?

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Thief 3, the game has its host of issues (including story related ones) but the ending definitely isn't among them.
Especially the way it ties in with Thief: The Dark Project.
"It is not an easy thing to see a Keeper, especially one who does not wish to be seen."
Garrett was the one True Keeper.

Gerrard

Arcane
Serious Sam The Second Encounter
The final battle is one of the peak moments in gaming.

Far Cry 4 secret ending, just by the virtue of existing.

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
The ending to starfield was the most satisfying, because it finally relieved me of that piece of shit of a game
Why would you keep playing something you hated?
It's bad form to call out a bro on the forum on his strange compulsions and spergy tendencies... unless we're in the heat of a bitch fight then all proper 'dex decorum is out the window. I know a guy here who played Fallout 3 + all 5 DLC and hated every second of it. Did I rudely say anything about it to him? Of course I did.
Honestly I didn't hate the game that much while playing it, until I got to the Red Mile that is. That place was such a disappointing piece of crap that it made me instantly reconsider the entire game and I dropped it on the spot.

Reality

Learned
Colony Wars : Slow lingering death ending

Twisted Metal 2/ Head On / Black

These are mostly "monkey's paw" endings but the better ones are funny and most of the player characters ARE bad people who deserve it anyway.

Rollercoaster Tycoon - Get to end of year 4 everyone let's go of their balloons simultaneously. Even better if you set it up in advance by selling multiple colors.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Armed and Dangerous.
Super funny and fun game to play, great ending plus a super cathy ending song to go with it.
I replay it every few years. I think made by devs of Giants Citizen Kabuto.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ending of Homeworld followed by end credits. In few minutes it perfectly captures the scope of the achievement and finished the story of the satisfactory manner. The end credits are the cherry on top as they give impression of the game being a labor of love and that devs had as great time making it as you playing it. The whole package makes you feel that you just experienced something special.

Deadyawn

Learned
Pathologic 2.

Some games, mostly RPGs, do this thing where you are allowed to have the "what's next" talk with characters before ending the game, and more often than not, it feels cheesy. This game not only did it right but went the extra mile because just about every character could, and likely would, die.

After 11 days of misery, just walking through the town, conversing with those that remain, and seeing the masked stand-ins of those that perished felt particularly earned.

deuxhero

Arcane
GrimGrimoire
Probably the only time the main antagonist is defeated in a cut scene, never fought directly, and it works. Likely the only where they aren't a normal guy.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The first Command and Conquer let's you choose to use the Ion Cannon on a couple of European landmarks when you finish the Nod campaign (the correct choice is the Eiffel Tower of course).
FEAR 2 also has quite the bananas ending.
And restoring the Roman empire in any of the older Paradox games is as satisfying as it gets.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
The good ending* of Assault Suits Valken/Cybernator after winning the war against the European Union and burning its capital to the ground.

*In order to get the good ending you had to not fail three key objectives; preventing an enemy ship's completion, destroying the asteroid base's engines before it enters Earth's atmosphere and destroying a shuttle before it enters orbit. Otherwise you get the bad ending where your entire crew is dead, including your waifu.

An all around great SNES classic this is. :love:

I should say that getting the bad ending is worth it for this theme too.

Unwanted

Cologno

Unwanted
The series doesn't seem super popular here, but I really liked the good ending to Arma Cold War Assault (used to be called "Operation Flashpoint Cold War Crisis"). All the playable characters and the SF guy get together for a reunion a few years after the conflict. I got the game on Steam a while back and apparently there were two expansions released for it but Steam doesn't have them. Really cool game with some serious ass pulls, but eh....whatever, the game doesn't stop you from playing however you wanted.

Drakortha

Liturgist
New Vegas. The ending slides were a great reminder of the decisions you made throughout the game and let you reminisce a bit while giving you the sense you were at the end of a journey.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom