Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games with great, satisfying endings?

El Presidente

Arcane
I'm too often disappointed by the endings of the games I play. Yeah sure the journey is incomparably more important than the last few minutes of cutscenes or whatever but still, it's pretty obvious some endings are a total afterthought and they barely even tried to wrap things up in the smallest of satisfying ways. So, recommend us some games with great endings.

Whenever I think of this, Little Big Adventure 2 - Twinsen's Odyssey is what immediately comes to mind. It's a long and very satisfying wrap up where you kill the villain, save the kidnapped kids with your buddy, heal the world, go back to your planet, kamehameha's the moon (which was about to crash on the planet) back to its orbit with the help of the planet's soul, then they throw a big interplanetary party in your town that you arrive back at riding your dinosaur friend that you healed earlier in the game, then you shake hands with the aliens and every character you met throughout the game is in the party, and your wife (that was pregnant through the entire game) finally gave birth and the game ends with the couple playing with the baby. Whew! That's a lot of stuff. Too bad the final "dungeon" is pretty lackluster but overall it's an excellent game with the perfect ending.

Falksi

Arcane
Deus Ex New Dark Age Ending. Sticking it to the man in the best way possible.

Phantasy Star 4. Perfect way to tie everything up, a few incredibly uplifting moments, simple but genuinely sweet.

Revenge of Shinobi's good ending. Incredibly basic, but incredibly satisfying.

Divinity 2. Screws the player over in an oddly satisfying way. Top trolling.

Dragon Age: Origins. Very thorough with it's descriptions of your actions and the consequences they have.

Gandalf

Arbiter
I actually don't remember anything special. It's probably my fault, because my memory is very bad these days. I hope it's not Alzheimer's kicking in.

3 others

Scholar
Talos Principle 1 tower ascension ending: You emerge as the culmination of a centuries-long iterative process to reverse-engineer a neo-human after the species' extinction
Transistor: Fitting ending for a romantic tragedy - the girl gains the power to restore the ruined city but has nothing to return to as she's lost her voice and her lover. She commits suicide to be reunited with him in the virtual world
Hollow Knight "bad" ending: Never felt the need to grind any other endings after this. You take down your big bro and attempt to bear the cross he couldn't.
King of the Dragon Pass: "Woman, you are mine, and soon I will ride you."

Most RPG endings are retarded, because instead of thinking like serious artists (how to bring closure and to bring the adventure to a satisfying end), most game developers are still stuck in the arcade days paradigm (let's give the player the hardest boss imaginable just to punish them for completing this turd).

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
Planescape: Torment, when the Nameless One finally accepts his fate and marches to battle in hell.

The redemption of Harry Du Bois and conversation with the Cryptid in Disco Elysium.
The DE ending is definitely up there, great ending even though it did not feel satisfying in a way where it properly resolved the mystery of the game. But it was emotionally satisfying. Have not experienced something like that in a game before or since.

You guys play games to the end? Anyway, only arcade games have done it for me. Just getting to watch a special concept art of your character and a relaxing piece of music while you finally breathe in relief, that's amazing. With RPGs... there's always a bit of disappointment at seeing your character go.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Quake because you
1705791697485.jpeg

Shuruga

Educated
Off the top of my head:
  1. All of the Quest for Glory games have satisfying endings -- you set out to be the hero of a land and by golly you do it. There is usually a "savor the victory" scene where you can check in with the various people you've interacted with throughout the game.
  2. Betrayal at Krondor was my first serious RPG and remains one of the strongest narratives (ending included) I've encountered.
  3. Already mentioned, but Dragon Age: Origins ties things up very well.

Viata

Arcane
Since this is general gaming, Super Mario Bros. After the 7 dwarfs telling me snow white the Princess was in another castle, finally saving her was a satisfying ending.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom