Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games with GREAT details (for reading)

Heresiarch

Prophet
I'm replaying JA2, and for the first time, seriously with 1.13 now.

And while reading all the stuff on the ingame laptop, I can't help but feel fascinated again by the sheer amount of details the game provides. For example, the AIM website, all the mercs have unique (and funny) written profiles, the Policies part has really seriously written legal stuff, even the websites like the one for buying flowers and the insurance one, which is next to useless, have detailed webpages. The flower selling website can even trigger a special cutscene!

Also, all the emails uniquely written by each merc, all the discriptions of the weapons, all the stuff to read at the laptop's file archive...well, you know, everytime I replay JA2, I spent at least a whole hour just to read all the stuff at the laptop before getting into actual actions.

While games like Witcher or Daggerfall, has almost as much of details to read or discover, compared to JA2 they really lack a certain charm. Maybe it's lacking the great humor of JA2, or maybe it's because most of the "lore" stuff of those games doesn't affect gameplay much, or maybe those games simply doesn't have that much interesting stuff to read.

Now I wish there are more games with the charm of JA2. It has more stuff to read than a real RPG!

Phelot

Arcane
IF YOU WANT TO READ THEN READ A NOVAL LOLOLOL FAG

Seriously though, yes I agree JA2 was a great game for it's detail. It managed to give nearly every merc a great personality using a brief bio and a few lines of dialogue. Despite this they all seem genuine. Perhaps because it's such a lighthearted game in the end. None of the characters take themselves seriously, or when they do then the player isn't meant to take them seriously.

"You have reached Barry's telephone response mechanism"

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
You can try "1893 : A world's fair mystery".
Or any other interactive fiction packed with good text content!

deuxhero

Arcane
The arena descriptions/histories in Lucasart's Gladius are pretty interesting. The game had some nice unique lore in general, not anywhere near JA2, but solid.

Silellak

Cipher
Ulminati said:
Silellak said:
Ultima series.

On the SNES.

/fanboy out.

So when are you LPing another ultima game on the SNES? :)
Actually I just installed Lazarus and Exult in preparation for playing through Lazarus, Ultima 6 Project, and Ultima 7/7.5. It's my reward for the torment I put myself through. I'm also planning to write reviews as I go, for the 6 or 7 people who actually care.

Besides, even after seeing everyone's suggestions, I'm still not sure any console Ultima game could match up to the true horror that was Ultima 7 on the SNES. Unless it's worse than that, there's really no point.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
X-COM did bring a lot of flavour the atmosphere of the game whit the codex like thing where you could look things up.

From Basic descriptions of weapons to detailed autopsies it all helped to make the game come alive.
To bad Take2 is raping that corpse now.

mondblut

Arcane
That's Martian Dreams.

Anyway, Emperor of the Fading Suns. It's units/research encyclopedia is a tearful joy for the eyes.

Also, Dominions (3), naturally. 2 thousands of units and each one has an unique description.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Well, I've played most of the stuff above but...

Also, Dominions (3), naturally. 2 thousands of units and each one has an unique description.

r u sirius? I've always wanted to try Dominions but never actually bothered. I've heard it's pretty good. Is it good? Duh lol

Phelot

Arcane
Heresiarch said:
Well, I've played most of the stuff above but...

r u sirius? I've always wanted to try Dominions but never actually bothered. I've heard it's pretty good. Is it good? Duh lol

Yeah it's good. And detailed. Very detailed right down to having skeletons have different rusted armor and weapons. It's pretty amazing just how much stuff you can train especially if you play as the late stage Ermor. Having a massive (and varied) army of undead has never been so fun.

oscar

Arcane
Tycn said:
King of Dragon Pass

This too. Quite possibly the greatest game I've ever played.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom