Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games with a Castlevania-esque setting.

Kawaii Theurgist

Liturgist
That kind of setting is one of my favorites, actually, but I don't seem to find many games with such. All I have found so far, at least as far as my crappy memory is concerned, are:

1. All the Castlevania games, obviously.

2. Rusty, a very cool old pre-SotN castlevania clone with awesome music and a heroine lacking fashion sense.

3. Rusty Hearts, the online beat 'em up ARPG we were discusing on another thread.

4. Veil of Darkness.

5. The first Ravenloft game.

Now, what else is there? Keep in mind, however, i'm talking about the style of the setting and not about gameplay, story, genre, or anything other than the style of the setting.

Kawaii Theurgist

Liturgist
@ Renegen

:roll:

I never link to a games' website, I only link at youtube videos at most. So I never actually link to a game. Now, I'm linking because it's important to show what kind of setting I'm talking about, as the point is Do you now more games with such a setting? and not Do you like this game?

@ Miss Bee

I really don't remember DarkSpyre having such type of setting, honestly. Wasn't it, like, standard fantasy with a better art style rather than a Castlevania-esque or, say, faux-gothic kind of setting?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Dunno, there wasn't much of a setting, really. Climb the tower, blah blah. Judging by that Rusty video you linked to, the way the enemies look there, I thought it might fit the bill. If you ask me, Abandoned Places 2 for Amiga looks a bit similar, too:

abandoned_places_13.png

But really, I just don't know what a "Castlevania-esque setting" means -- do you mean the "lore" or the "looks"?

tl;dr I suck at settings. :P

Ermm

Erudite
Legacy of Kain maybe?

Maybe also Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. (altough personally it is not a good game).

But I don't uderstand if you mean gameplay or the look of the game.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
She doesn't mean gameplay, that's for sure. She means the "style" probably. Or maybe the lore. Or maybe something else. Imma confused.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
spekkio said:
Well, I dunno. You had a very gay-looking protagonist, It was all grim dark and you were always alone exploring castles and ruins. I really got a SOTN feel from it.

I.C. Wiener

Educated
Excidium said:
spekkio said:
Well, I dunno. You had a very gay-looking protagonist, It was all grim dark and you were always alone exploring castles and ruins. I really got a SOTN feel from it.
I agree it's very Castlevania, minus half the anime nonsense (still retains an unhealthy amount). It's closer to my ideal CV pipe organs and stained glass windows atmosphere than any castlevania I've played.

Vagiel

Augur
If you disregard the medieval setting, as some casltevania actually do, then koudlka, shadow hearts, Devil may cry and of course the many doujin that have copied castlevania, although I am sure you do not need me to remind you of them.

If you try to be a little more specific about the setting, eg vampires or extravagant clothing, then I believe I could come up with more.

Which Castevania style?

The mashup of every Creature Feature movie monster, with a slight gothic glaze, along with everyone's favorite bloodsucker, Vlad Tepes, style of Castevania games you see in the first game all the way to Rondo of Blood/Dracula X/Vampire's Kiss (ok, and Castevania 64)?

Or the one that draws heavily on Christian and European folktale in the Lords of Shadow R-R-R-REBOOT?

Honestly, I can't really think of much like the first except the arcade game Gauntlet Legends. Somewhat similar style, Pojo the Firebreathing chicken aside. I think they made a console port of it too, with even more monsters crammed in as mooks or bosses.

And I'd be very interested in finding anything like the second. Lords of Shadow was one stylish game. Leave it to the Spaniards, huh?

Kawaii Theurgist

Liturgist
Edward_R_Murrow said:
The mashup of every Creature Feature movie monster, with a slight gothic glaze, along with everyone's favorite bloodsucker, Vlad Tepes, style of Castevania games you see in the first game all the way to Rondo of Blood/Dracula X/Vampire's Kiss (ok, and Castevania 64)?

You are a wise man. That's exactly what I meant! :P

Or, almost.

I was mostly refering to the ridiculously exagerated gothic architecture, the ridiculously exentric and pimped out dresses and clothes, the fact every single monster and villain and antihero out from gothic horror and similar genres makes an apparition, the foggy east european valleys with creepy forests and vaguely romanian towns full of nervous people as written by someone who never saw an east european valley with creepy forests and vaguely romanian towns full of nervous people, the incredible hotness of everyone who looks at least vaguely human, the inseparable sillyness and awesomeness and over-the-topness, the incredibly misinterpreted occult themes and references, and the gothic horror stylings and trappings that are completely out of place in a story about killing thousands of evil things with little whip but nonetheless are totally awesome. Oh, and the awesome music.

In any case, is Lord of Shadows any good? I was totally hyped out about it but most comments on the internet seems to be about how very little Castlevania-esque it is.

Gakkone said:
Bram Stoker's Dracula for the SNES (don't know if it's on any other platforms) maybe?

I did not knew of that game. Nice opening music, I'll write it down.

Wasn't there a PC first person dungeon crawling action game by the same name? In which you, uhm, crawled dungeons in first person, got killed a whole lot by undead thingies and werewolf stuffies, got lost thanks to the whole set of disorienting dungeon crawling traps like teleporter tiles and spinner tiles and the like, and got both stumped and killed by some pretty obscure puzzles?

Gakkone said:
EDIT: Oh yeah, and how about the Gargoyle's Quest series? I remember liking Demon's Crest a lot.

That video does look pretty sweet. Are those games, however, as hardcore as they are usually said to be? As in hair pulling, hate inducing, good neko turned into serial killer out of frustration?

Rasputin said:
Legacy of Kain maybe?

Hm, that's a big oversight I had. Yes, the original one and defiance could be probably be thought of as having a certain Castlevaniaesque style. Maybe Soulreaver II, too, but I don't remember a lot about that one. Soulreaver, however, is already more of a Tzimisce Apocalypse story, so I don't think it counts. And LoK II is, uhm, weird.

Crooked Bee said:
Uhm, Primal, maybe?

Do you, perchance, know where can a good and nice and pretty neko get a download link for Primal? I have been trying to get my greedy paws on that one for a long, long while, to no effect. :(

Excidium said:
Vagrant Story

I never got too far on it, but I'll give it another try given what I know about it mixed with the mention of it being Castlevania-esque make it sound like a very promising and weird little thing.

SCO said:
Thief 2, some vertical fan mission levels.

Any in particular?

Vagiel said:
If you disregard the medieval setting, as some casltevania actually do, then koudlka, shadow hearts, Devil may cry and of course the many doujin that have copied castlevania, although I am sure you do not need me to remind you of them.

Ah, yes. Koudelka is most definitely so.

Shadow Hearts and Devil May Cry (and Bayonetta, too) give much of the same vibe and feel, too, but they are so modern in look and style that while they come pretty close is not exactly the same. So i'm unsure about those, even if they are all pretty cool indeed.

Vagiel said:
If you try to be a little more specific about the setting, eg vampires or extravagant clothing, then I believe I could come up with more.

Well, I just gave a much more precise description a bit earlier on this post so...

please_29615881.jpg

... pretty please with a sugar neko on top?

Phelot

Arcane
OMG I too love the castlevania style, but TBH I don't think of games as having that vibe unless its from an older console platformer.

Demon's Crest:
demons-crest-screenshot-002.png

Super Ghouls N Ghosts:
super_gng_vc.gif

Fuck, I know there's more, but I can't think of them right now.

Vagiel

Augur
Kawaii Theurgist said:
please_29615881.jpg

... pretty please with a sugar neko on top?

Allright allright you do not have to threaten me with this infernal creature!

So apparently it is hard to get the castlevania vibe since it is somewhat random but based on the latter games who seem to have a more homogeneous presentation I would have to recommend:

Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage
I find Berserk close to Castlevana.

King of Demons (Majuu Ou)
It is closer to the gameplay than to the style but it stills pushes the right buttons.

And for last I will have to say Söldnerschild. It is quit far from castlevania but it has the same artist so I believe it deserves a mention.

Will you call off that dreadful demon now?

lightbane

Arcane
Kawaii Theurgist said:
In any case, is Lord of Shadows any good? I was totally hyped out about it but most comments on the internet seems to be about how very little Castlevania-esque it is.

It's good for what it is. The art is ok and the game gives you somewhat of a challenge (no regenerating health bullshit, you can only recover health using certain items) but it has too many "interactive cutscenes" IMO. Also,
there's no Dracula there but you fight Satan himself

Kawaii Theurgist said:
Wasn't there a PC first person dungeon crawling action game by the same name? In which you, uhm, crawled dungeons in first person, got killed a whole lot by undead thingies and werewolf stuffies, got lost thanks to the whole set of disorienting dungeon crawling traps like teleporter tiles and spinner tiles and the like, and got both stumped and killed by some pretty obscure puzzles?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z6YdTdW_VA

This one??

Kawaii Theurgist said:
Do you, perchance, know where can a good and nice and pretty neko get a download link for Primal? I have been trying to get my greedy paws on that one for a long, long while, to no effect. :(

Sure.

Phelot

Arcane
I think Castlevania 1,3, and 4 had the best style out of all of them. 2 was kind of bland. SotN was fun and all and certainly had some of the same vibes, but Alucard is pretty Wapanese.

But the first games I mentioned really nailed the whole "alone" feel down. Like the whole world was already dead. It also had that fun Halloween look to it. Not TOO grimdark, but more theme park grimdark. Laughing skulls, fake looking blood, dead trees, skeletons languishing behind iron bars, etc etc.

Really love that look.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
One of the valkyrie profile games might tickle your fancy. The norse theme pretty much ends at the names, although there is a fairly wide variety of setting in each game (There are oriental towns/characters for example) it does have the nice mythology mashup of hydras and harpies and vampires oh my. And you'd be hard pressed to find more extravagant characters in combat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKL3ClYI7u4

Also you never mentioned the music, which I consider a vital part of the castlevania atmosphere.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
phelot said:
I think Castlevania 1,3, and 4 had the best style out of all of them. 2 was kind of bland. SotN was fun and all and certainly had some of the same vibes, but Alucard is pretty Wapanese.

But the first games I mentioned really nailed the whole "alone" feel down. Like the whole world was already dead. It also had that fun Halloween look to it. Not TOO grimdark, but more theme park grimdark. Laughing skulls, fake looking blood, dead trees, skeletons languishing behind iron bars, etc etc.

Really love that look.

BRO you left out Rondo of Blood. It has horribad weeaboo cut scenes, but otherwise is on the same page as 1, 2, 3 and 4.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I thought Lord of Shadows was really good, personally. Diverse setting and enemies to fight and a sense of "hero progression" as you move through the story. Also it has an ending that blew my mind. Based on your description of a good Castlevania setting I think you would like it. It's actually much like a 3D Castlevania IV.

Another modern title, Demons Souls, also has a similar gothic style to the Castlevania series.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom