Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games where your character has a voice?

donjn

Educated
Unkillable Cat said:
It counts as "immersion breaking" if your übermuscled blond barbarian from the Northern Wastes of Death sounds like Tiny Tim because the game's budget didn't allow for a decent voice actor.

Ahh but you guys are missing the point. You are assuming that YOUR CHARACTER sounds bad and everyone else, including all NPCs, sound good. That is the only scenario in which saying your character talking is "immersion breaking".

In my case, the Gothic 3, Ultima IX, and Mass Effect voices were just fine for the main character.

Can you give me several examples of a main character who's voice over is bad and everyone else is good? I bet the only examples you have are when ALL VOICEOVERS are bad.

Remember, derill said that THE MAIN CHARACTER TALKING is "immersion breaking". He DID NOT mention the other characters...

Uh...example of main character voiced done well (ok, he isn't totally voiced, but he is voiced about as much as other characters): Planescape FUCKING Torment anyone????

Hope the lot of you just went 'updated my journal'.

Or heck, even a 'don't...let..it end like this...'

Durwyn

Prophet
Morkar said:
Durwyn said:
Morkar said:
Two Worlds
Arghh... The VO was goddamn awful. And this wanky, wannabe archaic english.

The german version was excellent...
Zuxxez, the company behind polish devteam Reality Pump, is german. Probably they took care to deliver good VO in their country and shitted on the english VO.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Azrael the cat said:
Uh...example of main character voiced done well (ok, he isn't totally voiced, but he is voiced about as much as other characters): Planescape FUCKING Torment anyone????

Hope the lot of you just went 'updated my journal'.

Or heck, even a 'don't...let..it end like this...'

I mentioned "all of the Infinity Engine" games, which includes Torment.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
The Nameless One has a bunch of grunts (oof! argh! etc.) and the occasional sentences best described as less annoying "Legend of Zelda YOU DID A THII-III-IING!!"-sequences. It's really subtle voice acting. I like it a lot, and I'd like to pull myself in the ear and change my mind a bit:

I'm fine with voice acting for player characters as long as the voice acting is fine. I probably wouldn't have mind Michael Weiss act out certain TNO-dialogue sequences. Thing is though, I'm allergic to bad voice acting and if I have a choice between bad voice acting and no voice acting, you can smack your bitch up I'm gonna read that fucking text instead of listening to some useless twat reading from a manuscript.

edit: Mark Meer of Commander Shepard-fame comes to mind. You gotta play ME as a female Shep.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom