Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games where your character has a voice?

donjn

Educated
Ultima IX
Gothic Series

That's it?

Is it me or does it look wrong when everyone in the game speaks (Bioware and Bethesda, I am looking at you) accept your character?

I love how in Gothic 3 your character actually speaks.

Any other games that have this feature?

Vibalist

Arcane
The Witcher and Mass Effect, presuming you're only after RPGs. otherwise, a whole bunch.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
For some reason, I recall that there exists a CD version of the old SSI game, Veil Of Darkness. But I'm having a hard time finding any info to back it up.

If such a version of the game exists, then it's almost guaranteed to feature voice work for all the characters, including the player character.

Other "RPG-ish" games I can remember that had voices for the protagonist are Bard's Tale (2004) and the Lands Of Lore games.

donjn

Educated
Andyman Messiah said:
The less the player characters talk the better.

I cant disagree any more. it looks silly when everyone talks but you are silent.

donjn

Educated
Vibalist said:
The Witcher and Mass Effect, presuming you're only after RPGs. otherwise, a whole bunch.

Not sure about Mass Effect. Are you sure?

donjn

Educated
Vibalist said:

Forgot about Mass Effect.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
All of the Infinity Engine games.

Your character basically just says some one-liners during combat and very few parts of dialogue, but NPCs aren't completely voiced too, so...

Erzherzog

Magister
Personally I don't mind when both NPCs and my own character don't talk. It never bothered me no matter how much Morrowind I played. But it is kind of odd to hear NPCs talk while my character is a mute.

DraQ

Arcane
The Witcher, Deus Ex, Wizardry 8, Wizardry 8, Wizardry 8, Wizardry 8, Wizardry 8 and Wizardry 8 (mentioned six times due to the fact you create and lead not a single character, but a party of up to six fully custom characters, each having one of 36 well-defined personalities and commenting every fucking thing happening in game, OH GOD ITS HEAVAN), Anachronox (though it's a western, pc-exclusive and atypically awesome JPG), etc.

Turok

Erudite
Unkillable Cat said:
For some reason, I recall that there exists a CD version of the old SSI game, Veil Of Darkness. But I'm having a hard time finding any info to back it up.

If such a version of the game exists, then it's almost guaranteed to feature voice work for all the characters, including the player character.

Other "RPG-ish" games I can remember that had voices for the protagonist are Bard's Tale (2004) and the Lands Of Lore games.

Thats one of the fist games that feature "sound Blaster" support, the only voice you get is from the journal, when you do something, the journal speak as a robot :D.

Nobody

Novice
Arx Fatalis, which did that at the cost of alternate dialogue choices.

Durwyn

Prophet
Nobody said:
That was the biggest flaw of Arx Fatalis. Otherwise game with a great atmosphere and potential to be so much more.

Also:
Begone, foul monster !

Nobody

Novice
Durwyn said:
Nobody said:
That was the biggest flaw of Arx Fatalis. Otherwise game with a great atmosphere and potential to be so much more.

Also:
Begone, foul monster !
The Biggest flaw of Arx Fatalis were the voiceovers in general. Horribly bland and uninspired, they made me quit after the cutscene in the palace.

Also:
Bwahahaha, goon!

Durwyn

Prophet
Nobody said:
Durwyn said:
Nobody said:

Also:
Begone, foul monster !
The Biggest flaw of Arx Fatalis were the voiceovers in general. Horribly bland and uninspired, they made me quit after the cutscene in the palace.

Also:
Bwahahaha, goon!
Options -> SFX -> slider to the left (or something like that, don't remember it)

or:
Speakers -> Turn off

finally:
Get a grip and be a man !

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I thought the voices in Arx were funny. Especially the main character. A really soft-spoken guy. Sounded pretty hilarious when he talked with his soft and calm voice during dangerous and otherwise intense situations.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Carlo, the captain of the guards in Arx Fatalis had the most atrocious voiceover work I have ever heard.

Turok: Thanks for the info. I guess that is what the game means by "the voice of Nikolae".

donjn

Educated
Main characters talking ruins my immersion. :evil:

That's almost physically impossible. That's like saying "a realistic sky with clouds ruins my immersion".

"Immersion" breaking things are based on things that are not reality. For instance, seeing a Pepsi bottle laying on the ground in a Gothic game would be "immersion" breaking.

But having your character speak? Annoying? Maybe, but not immersion breaking?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
It counts as "immersion breaking" if your übermuscled blond barbarian from the Northern Wastes of Death sounds like Tiny Tim because the game's budget didn't allow for a decent voice actor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom