Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games so obscure that...

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Speaking of Wizardry, there's a quite good Wizardry clone (of the 1-3 sort, although much enhanced), called Silvern Castle, that came out for the Apple II a couple(!) years ago. Well, ~2000, but still well after the Apple II had been discontinued. There were 3 scenarios included, but I've only been through the first. If you were a fan of the original Wizardries, I recommend it. Its a bit of a pain to set up, but I feel its worth it.

So I just studies their website (http://webpages.milwpc.com/finkjc/silverncastle/), and it wasn't really developed a couple of years ago. It was developed in 1988 rather and purchased by Softdisk, but they didn't publish it for some reason.

Cool beans anyway, gonna play it and see if it's any good.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Speaking of Wizardry, there's a quite good Wizardry clone (of the 1-3 sort, although much enhanced), called Silvern Castle, that came out for the Apple II a couple(!) years ago. Well, ~2000, but still well after the Apple II had been discontinued. There were 3 scenarios included, but I've only been through the first. If you were a fan of the original Wizardries, I recommend it. Its a bit of a pain to set up, but I feel its worth it.
oooooh man, this looks incredible. Thanks for mentioning it.

Gord

Arcane
Speaking about obscure games, I remember one from my c64 days.
It was a sci-fi tank simulation/arcade game with vector graphics.

Can't remember the name and so far hve found nothing on google. Anyone got an idea?
Battlezone?

Hm, maybe. Looks similar.
Although I'm not sure. It's as if something's missing.
Maybe I should try getting the rom and play a few minutes.

Every time I see posts like yours, I remember a very old idea that I have but never really started it out. A chain of sites called "What ______ was that", with an old TV show style in the title, something like those "will it blend?" from youtube.

Would be pretty cool, yeah...

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Speaking about obscure games, I remember one from my c64 days.
It was a sci-fi tank simulation/arcade game with vector graphics.

Can't remember the name and so far hve found nothing on google. Anyone got an idea?
Every time I see posts like yours, I remember a very old idea that I have but never really started it out. A chain of sites called "What ______ was that", with an old TV show style in the title, something like those "will it blend?" from youtube. There would be a What game was that, What movie was that, What book was that, What music was that... The idea would be to create some sort of mini forum where the users create threads describing the game (or film, book, etc) and the community tries to help finding it. Those who get it and helps the OP are awarded and have a "stats upgrade" of sorts in a bunch of attributes that he would have in his account, like a character sheet.

Eh, maybe I'll implement this one day, I'd really really really like to see a series of sites completely dedicated to this instead of posting "help me find this ____" in random forums.
That's one of the oldest idea of them all(in the web); the semantic web. It doesn't work because humans don't give a shit about tagging. And only humans could tag it.

But info-civilians are remarkably cavalier about their information. Your clueless aunt sends you email with no subject line, half the pages on Geocities are called "Please title this page" and your boss stores all of his files on his desktop with helpful titles like "UNTITLED.DOC."

:lol:

I told my boss that if you don't write a subject line the filter tends to delete your message thinking it's spam. I have no idea if it's true, I just wanted her to stop doing it. Still trying to find a way to fix that last problem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom