Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games for people with depression

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Just to go along with what others are saying in this thread: don't play games, you'll only make things worse!
HAHAAHAHAHAHA!
No really, play games. If it makes you happy, you should probably do more of that, be it game playing or some productive enterprise. You want to feel even shittier? Sit down and try to enjoy playing a game but now feel guilty about not exercising, something you never enjoyed doing anyways. Now games make you miserable as well. Great! How about this - do what you have to do to stay sane.

Just be honest with yourself - are you really going to go out and start jogging? If not, well, games aren't the worst thing you can do with your time and it is escapism.

visions

Arcane
Just go outside bro

1491419747969.jpg

DraQ

Arcane
Men,

I suffer from major depression but I like to play video games. What are some games that will cater to my depressive sensibilities while making me feel like life isn't so worthless after all?
I'm not a shrink, but you could try Ori and The Blind Forest.

You probably don't want anything that degenerates into meaningless Skinnerian cycles.

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Garfield Kart - Furious Racing is on sale on Steam right now. That should cure your depression. It worked for this guy:

Let me just say this; this game has made me realize what it means to truly exist in this universe as one in infinity, and every time I play it I take one step up the grand staircase to God himself. I cannot imagine what life was like before I began playing this game, as I have since purged my mind of all memories prior to the day I first launched it, and I now feel truly fulfilled in my life. It's as if I was brought into this world for the sole purpose of eventually experiencing Garfield Kart and obtaining true omniscience.

Beastro

Arcane
"they want you to believe the depression is in your hormones, your body, biology, but it is the capitalism, really"

Hmmm, a Marxist finding something else the free market is to blame. Surprising.

The the free market has its problems, bit this is like talking to a religious loon whose reply to every problem in the world is blaming Satan.

Capitalism is the enemy of us all, comrade.

Reducing the problems of the world to the trite obsessions of any ideology is the enemy of us all.

That really reminds me: The problem with people and their DEPRESSION these days is that they don't have proper ENEMIES anymore. Naturally, they are depressed and their life lacks meaning, because they have no hated enemies to strive against. Solution: Get an enemy, and dedicate your life to ruining theirs.

Is is any surprise your a PvP enthusiast?

Mortmal

Arcane
Men,

I suffer from major depression but I like to play video games. What are some games that will cater to my depressive sensibilities while making me feel like life isn't so worthless after all?
Play strategy games, you dont need something to cater to your shitty sensibilities , you need success, you need to feel like a god emperor. Warhammer 2, EU4, ck2, rimworld, stellaris ,even. A power trip is always good for depression.You could even try those rpg games some people here still talk about sometime, pick in the top 5.Also you could ask the secret of a fullfilling , joyful life to fluent , hes on rpgwatch now, he has recipes for chemicals.

play the nameless mod. it's pretty kewl and you can play it via deus ex revision on steam. the world and its writing is a nice homage to the original deus ex. hope you cure yur depression soon, bra. becoming a sjw liberal was the biggest cure for depression imo

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Don't isolate yourself. Be more social.

If that means playing games, turn on your microphone and actually talk to people - even if it's just focused on the game, you are socializing and not being alone.

Loneliness is the killer. If you can't be social playing vidya, don't play vidya for a while. Take a break, make a plan to reward yourself with some planned time to game after a few days being more social. Keep repeating this cycle until you find yourself being more sociable by habit and because it feels good.

That's my advice, but I'll tell you this - I am not a doctor, and I am going to see one for my depression. I think it is worth talking to a PsyD if you have the financial ability to see one.

Final note - the Codex toughguy faggotry that Norflute displayed is shit. What a fucking faggot.

PS - anyone that cannot see the obvious link between late stage capitalism and depression/anxiety/social disorders is a moron.

Beastro

Arcane
If that means playing games, turn on your microphone and actually talk to people - even if it's just focused on the game, you are socializing and not being alone.

One must be careful doing that and find themselves caught in the trap where they're gregarious as fuck Discord, but a mute when in actual social situations.

That's when you need to challenge yourself a bit and push your boundaries.

Final note - the Codex toughguy faggotry that Norflute displayed is shit. What a fucking faggot.

It's a stereotypical arch PvPer mentality: It's not enough to win, others must lose for them to get real enjoyment from games.

I get that though, I fucking loved finding exploits in FPS' and using them to drive players to rage and depopulate servers, but there's more to games than just that.

PS - anyone that cannot see the obvious link between late stage capitalism and depression/anxiety/social disorders is a moron.

Something's wrong (or rather, even more is wrong) with the world, no one's disagreeing with that, but to put that down to just something like the free market I feel is too limiting and trite.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

That's because people can afford to stay home and do nothing. In the past you would have ended up as a beggar and nothing is better against depression than a night on the street.

Curratum

RPGCodex: The only cure against depression is living like cattle, without any of the conveniences of modern life.

You fuckwads realize you're just as absurd as the cunts that pretend they like communism without having ever experienced a single day of life under it?

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
RPGCodex: The only cure against depression is living like cattle, without any of the conveniences of modern life.

You fuckwads realize you're just as absurd as the cunts that pretend they like communism without having ever experienced a single day of life under it?

It is definitely much better to live like cattle WITH all the conveniences of modern life.

Actually you literally reproducing capitalist realism hypnospell: there is no alternative. Fascinating.

zaper

Yes.
Developer
The only thing that alleviates my depression is a good cRPG. So yeah, I've been sad for a while now.

hell bovine

Arcane
Not sure what you're looking for, exactly, but some players have written to me saying that Primordia helped them with their depression. I think of it as a hopeful but melancholy game -- it celebrates not giving in to despair in the face of doom, not because the doom can be averted, but because decency and dignity are worth preserving even in the face of annihilation.
Thanks for the rec. The art looks lovely, reminds me of Machinarium.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom