Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Gamerz Edge praises ToEE

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Yes, yes I do.

Jinxed

Liturgist
SP said:
I can't say I'm completely thrilled with the prospect of Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines, though.

Isn't that because you dislike Masquerade along with goth pimps and vampire wannabies?

I have hopes for this game, I haven't played a good first person RPG in years.

Anonymous

I'm looking forward to it, seems sorta like a modern day System Shock 2 to me.

DemonKing

Arcane
Exitium said:
What a fucking nunce. PS:T was an interactive novel (presented as an RPG) and I damn well liked it because it was exactly that. To say that the game could have used less words because you couldn't enjoy the combat due to the extraneous dialogue in-between fights is completely ignorant, considering that combat was one of the least important factors of Torment.

No - I only said that it was a little frustrating sometimes to have to click through miles and miles of dialogue to get on with the game - not that I couldn't wait to get to the next fight. To me a game is about "doing" fun things not reading through tomes.

Exitium said:
That's like saying all of the words in National Geographic magazine are just there to hinder you from flipping through the pretty pictures at a faster rate; you've completely missed the point of the subject matter.

Again I didn't say that at all. I was talking specifically in the medium of games. Obviously literature, magazines etc are about the text,whereas to me, games are more about gameplay. Reading is not gameplay - it's reading. Ideally the story should unfold through the gameplay not through reading miles of text.

As you yourself said PST was an interactive novel in the form of an RPG. What made it stand out from that apporach was the depth of character that approach conveyed (as Tri-Critical notes)...but in the end was it really "a game"? I'm replaying it at the moment and it is quite unique in the way it seems to cross genre boundaries...but in some ways it fails to satisfy my cravings "to game" because of that.

JJ86

Liturgist
taks said:
gromnir posts in character. buy the game throne of bhaal and pay careful attention to the second bad guy (or the first... can't recall)...

odds are good that gromnir has better grammar than most that post on this board. not to mention more education (hehe, more than most...)

mark

Are we supposed to be impressed? While that may be as interesting to hear once as is 1337-speak, it grows tiresome to unentangle his ideas time after time from the odd dialect. As english is the unofficial language of this board, its proper use is also encouraged to make efficient communication possible. Without some basic rules of grammar, misunderstandings become more prevalent causing unnecessary flame wars. Please if you are trying to make some coherent arguments at least try to write properly. Otherwise there are many boards that encourage incoherent writing where Gromnir's style may be appreciated.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Voss said:
Spazmo said:
a setting something like the Firefly TV show

Dull, pointless and cancelled?
:D

Firefly kicks ass, bitch. Did you ever see the actual pilot for the show? The two hour one that Fox didn't think was ACSHUN PACKED ENUFF to air? Instead, they went with Train Job, which was written over the course of two days because Fox didn't like Serenity and wanted something to air pronto. Train Job is easily my least favorite episode.

Jinxed said:
sn't that because you dislike Masquerade along with goth pimps and vampire wannabies?

That's one reason.

first person RPG

And there's the other reason.

Voss

Erudite
I saw parts of three different episodes, which isn't much I admit, but it didn't impress me enough to untangle it (or Fox's utterly bizarre programming choices, which was a lot of the problem).
It did seem a different take on the Scifi genre than the uber-clean Star Trek derivatives that clog TV, which I approve of, but by the time I wasn't busy on the days it actually aired, it had already been cancelled. I also followed it a bit on TelevisionWithoutPity, but it was clear that it was going to die fairly early on.

The promos didn't help either. Space Western. With Space Hookers! Yeah, baby...

Jinxed

Liturgist
Well Sp, the game makes use of both 3rd person and 1st person views. A lot of the vamp powers seem plain too difficult to use on 1st person.

I'm tired of replaying System Shock 2. Although not really an RPG but rather containing RPG elements, it set standards that no other fps has come close to. I missed out on Deus though.

Anonymous

Deus Ex is similar to removing all the fun bits and excitement of System Shock 2 and then laying over a shitty Matrix-esque story. OMG TERRISTS R NOT REALY TERRISTS UNPLUG ME NEO, TIME TO CRAWL IN SOME DUCTS.

I dont consider SS2 an RPG either, but it was like a FPS with unique and fun gameplay.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Jinxed said:
I'm tired of replaying System Shock 2. Although not really an RPG but rather containing RPG elements, it set standards that no other fps has come close to. I missed out on Deus though.

I think both System Shock 2 and the Thief series set the standards, and Deus Ex tried to condense both of those two game's styles.

LlamaGod said:
OMG TERRISTS R NOT REALY TERRISTS UNPLUG ME NEO, TIME TO CRAWL IN SOME DUCTS.

:lol: :lol:

triCritical

Erudite
LlamaGod said:
Deus Ex is similar to removing all the fun bits and excitement of System Shock 2 and then laying over a shitty Matrix-esque story. OMG TERRISTS R NOT REALY TERRISTS UNPLUG ME NEO, TIME TO CRAWL IN SOME DUCTS.

I dont consider SS2 an RPG either, but it was like a FPS with unique and fun gameplay.

Not to mention Deus Ex doesn't really mean anything if translated literally. In Greek it would be theos ek. Maybe Beddoes can explain its incomplete title.

Zapp$ter

Novice
Saint_Proverbius said:
Voss said:
Spazmo said:
a setting something like the Firefly TV show

Dull, pointless and cancelled?
:D

Firefly kicks ass, bitch. Did you ever see the actual pilot for the show? The two hour one that Fox didn't think was ACSHUN PACKED ENUFF to air? Instead, they went with Train Job, which was written over the course of two days because Fox didn't like Serenity and wanted something to air pronto. Train Job is easily my least favorite episode.

Jinxed said:
sn't that because you dislike Masquerade along with goth pimps and vampire wannabies?

That's one reason.

first person RPG

And there's the other reason.

From what I heard Fox totally screwed up Firefly. Since I live in the UK I got to watch it on the sci fi channel. From what I gathered they did a much better job than Fox, even managing to air the episodes in the correct order :P

They even aired the 3 supah seKeret episodes that come on the firefly dvd set.

Overall I thought it was a good show, I wish it was backed by a network that actually supported it. Seems to me as if Fox wanted it to die.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
*activates clueless n00b beacon across Gotham City skylight*

What is Firefly? What i mean is, what is it about, and how good is it? I don't think that series is broadcasted here. In fact the last recent US show to be broadcasted here was quite likely 24 (which was quite good).

Psilon

Erudite
Some type of space western from the guy who ran Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Never having watched either series, I can't really give more details.

taks

Liturgist
JJ86 said:
Are we supposed to be impressed? While that may be as interesting to hear once as is 1337-speak, it grows tiresome to unentangle his ideas time after time from the odd dialect. As english is the unofficial language of this board, its proper use is also encouraged to make efficient communication possible. Without some basic rules of grammar, misunderstandings become more prevalent causing unnecessary flame wars. Please if you are trying to make some coherent arguments at least try to write properly. Otherwise there are many boards that encourage incoherent writing where Gromnir's style may be appreciated.

and then you get over it... quit whining.

taks

taks

Liturgist
Otaku_Hanzo said:
Besides, Throne Of Bhaal sucked severe ass. :D

now i never commented on the quality of said game... just that the character in the game came from gromnir the character on the board (well, i implied as such). i kinda didn't like ToB... toooooo monte carlo hall for me.
taks

DrattedTin

Liturgist
taks said:
DrattedTin said:
Sir,

please consult the following guide before making your next post: http://www.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/

gromnir posts in character. buy the game throne of bhaal and pay careful attention to the second bad guy (or the first... can't recall)...

odds are good that gromnir has better grammar than most that post on this board. not to mention more education (hehe, more than most...)

mark

I always thought Gromnir's inclusion in the game was a disgrace. Not to mention Draconis.

You know an outfit has run out of creativity when they begin casting forum users as villains.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Voss said:
The promos didn't help either. Space Western. With Space Hookers! Yeah, baby...

Well, it did have a Western theme and was set in space, and they did have a whore on board which is part of that Western theme. They also had a preacher with the mysterious background and much of the crew were rebel solders fighting in a war of independence that they lost, which is also part of the Western theme.

There were no aliens in the show, it was all about humans who were expanding through the galaxy. The central government basically wanted more control over the colonies, so they fought the War of Unification with the Independents. The Alliance won and Unification was achieved. That's the backdrop for the show, and why the Captain of the show buys a ship to maintain his freedom.

So, he gets a crew and sets out doing odd jobs for people, hauling goods, smuggling, and pulling heists.

Zapp$ter said:
From what I heard Fox totally screwed up Firefly. Since I live in the UK I got to watch it on the sci fi channel. From what I gathered they did a much better job than Fox, even managing to air the episodes in the correct order

Yeah, they did air the episodes out of order, which created some problems for people who were trying to follow the arcs. They also decided to put it on Friday nights, which is hard for a show to gain an audiance. Then there's the whole baseball play offs they pre-empted the show with frequently.

taks

Liturgist
DrattedTin said:
I always thought Gromnir's inclusion in the game was a disgrace. Not to mention Draconis.
as i recall, gromnir wasn't even happy with gromnir in the game. i wouldn't say he was a disgrace, just not very powerful for a child of bhaal.

You know an outfit has run out of creativity when they begin casting forum users as villains.
well, i wouldn't go that far. i was posting pretty heavily on the boards at the time (different pseudonym) and it was more along the lines of a "contest" to see which of the forum members would make the best NPC, i think. kind of like a payback. gromnir just happened to always post in character and frequently at that. he was rather vocal at the time (not that he isn't now) and certainly opinionated. hard headed maybe... orcish, i dunno.... oops, sorry grommy :lol:

taks

Rosh

Erudite
triCritical said:
Not to mention Deus Ex doesn't really mean anything if translated literally. In Greek it would be theos ek. Maybe Beddoes can explain its incomplete title.

It is "theos ek mechanes" in Greek.

Although, if taken in translation, "A God From" (taken from theos ek) would be a fairly poetic title to use given the ending, despite how unpoetic the path to the ending was crafted.

JJ86

Liturgist
taks said:
and then you get over it... quit whining.

taks

No, I think the way the game is played is that the person who doesn't conform gets banned.

triCritical

Erudite
Rosh said:
triCritical said:

It is "theos ek mechanes" in Greek.

Although, if taken in translation, "A God From" (taken from theos ek) would be a fairly poetic title to use given the ending, despite how unpoetic the path to the ending was crafted.

You know its funny because no matter how hard I look I can't find a definition for Deus Ex without the Machina part attached to it. So I figured it would make more sense in greek. But I guess new latin is more l33t. Still I think adding the machine part would have made for a better title.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
taks said:
DrattedTin said:
as i recall, gromnir wasn't even happy with gromnir in the game. i wouldn't say he was a disgrace, just not very powerful for a child of bhaal.

Yeah, they should have made it more true to his character. My idea would be that he kidnaps Boo. BioWare loves using the same trick over and over again, so kidnapping would be in order here. Tthen Gromnir shoves Boo up his ass for a few minutes of colon tingling pleasure, which is the Why you must save Boo part of the quest. The player can then offer Gromnir money to remove Boo from his ass(the good route for BioWare games), or can choose to insult Gromnir until a fight is provoked(the bad route for BioWare games) and then cut Boo out with a dagger.

That would have been much more fitting.

Rosh

Erudite
triCritical said:
You know its funny because no matter how hard I look I can't find a definition for Deus Ex without the Machina part attached to it. So I figured it would make more sense in greek. But I guess new latin is more l33t. Still I think adding the machine part would have made for a better title.

Well, it's not like a whole match pattern, you do have the option of breaking it down into the individual words. :) Even so, "theos ek" was pretty limited to "theos ek mechanes" like an English rhyme for silver. Silver is a rhyme pattern all of it's own, along with a few other words having their own rhyme pattern of their own, so that limits their usage. "theos ek" could be in the same way in that maybe the Greeks only had one reason to use it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom