Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Gameplay Guide] Rance X: Decisive Battle

CaptainTowel

Novice
Here's a bit of a more open ended discussion type question:

What would your "perfect start" for chapter 0 look like?

Assuming you've unlocked the card availability ng+ bonus, and gotten all cards into the pool via achievements and whatnot, which would be your highest priority getting out of the space ship? There is only one rare chest, and the occasional additional rare card from normal fights, so it's gonna be mostly commons. Also (I believe? Though I haven't seen it 100% confirmed) that some cards just don't drop until you've passed a certain turn, even with all cards unlocked turned on.

Personally, I would prioritize Mikan (since I don't believe Willis can drop that early? I've never seen her in the first few turns, at least) and a unit with a capture skill (Ruberan, Megadeath, etc.). Bonus points for super impactful rares like Hanny King or Papaya and minus points for cards that are super easy to pick up like the Kesselmaids or Ceasar. I'm unsure how early Plupet and the Rarity boosting with can drop, but I've never seen Plupet before turn 4 or the witch before turn 8, so I'm assuming they're off the table, or they would obviously be high prio.

Choi

Literate
There was a time when I got the white dragon (dunno the name, Patton & Hunty's companion) at turn 0, and suddenly the game becomes a breeze XD

That was my best start hahaha. Anyway, if it's possible to get that white dragon, I'd say the perfect start will be getting Hunty Kalar, because f*ck that 4-AP-9x-damage!

(A bit out of topic but still similar, I got Theoman at turn 1 rn, wahahahaha. Maybe it's also possible to get Theoman at turn 0? With his gf as the bonus)

CaptainTowel

Novice
Turns out you apparently can get Pluepet from the chest at the end of turn 0, so I suppose that's the priority

Jason Liang

Arcane
Honestly with a few exceptions, the most important characters are Demon faction, guaranteed, or common (i.e. Kimchi, Eleanor Ran). The exceptional rare characters I would say are Atago and Oruore, and a tier below them Freya, Dark Heron, Hunty if you aren't getting La Hawzel, and the two +AP FC bros. Collecting the Rangers for the bonus is very good.

If you are playing on high difficulty + low or no cp bonus, you want characters that are able to help you double clear Babolat + Kesselring early. For Babolat, you could get Lei turn 2, and do Helman turn 3, otherwise you'll need a team of heavy Lightning hitters to beat him on turn 2.

Otherwise, it's big eater characters for Galtia early.

Last edited:

Framepler

Literate
I don't know for turn 0 but I got Martina + Master Fencer + Ruberan Tser T0 and got Kesselring right after defeating him T2 which helps a ton thanks to the 8 maids I got before, that was my "best" start.

lightbane

Arcane
I hope this game gets a translation patch, official or fan-wise, some day...

Framepler

Literate
I got all the endings, finally :D

I was wondering, how come I never saw Suzume...? (one of my favorites :D)

I also wonder how to get HCG 16, I followed what they say:

"Free City Dark Lord Suppression 2 (In 1, choose to interrogate Katyusha and later visit her event at a branch (in the tent...), have adult Seracholas"

but I never see the branch with the Heart event ohhhhhhh I'm thinking, is this the branch where you defeat Lei on 1vs1 I didn't go to?

Thanks for the help as always :)

CaptainTowel

Novice
I got all the endings, finally :D

I was wondering, how come I never saw Suzume...? (one of my favorites :D)

Is your game on the most recent patch? If I remember right, Suzume was added in in an update, like La Vaswald. I think you need to have 'all cards available' turned on as well since
she's canonically no longer around when this game takes place

HCG 16 isn't after that duel branch, I don't think. There is an achievement behind it though so probably worth doing anyways. I, unfortunately don't remember exactly where it is, though. Pretty sure it's in the mission where you fight Pi-r

Framepler

Literate
I've played Rance quest already ;)

Could you tell me where I can check the game's version? (I searched but couldn't find it...)

I found out I have 749 cards "only", omg on 1200 total?! It's crazy :D

Framepler

Literate
Pretty sure it's in the mission where you fight Pi-r

I'm 200% sure now.

Even though I followed this:

Free City Dark Lord Suppression 2 (In 1, choose to interrogate Katyusha and later visit her event at a branch (in the tent...), have adult Seracholas and later there will be a branch, pick the top option.

I couldn't take the top branch (right before the dragons) though & didn't see anything later till I killed Pi-r :(

Shall I have her in the party since the beginning of the map or did I miss something else? (that's the only HCG I didn't see)

CaptainTowel

Novice
Unless I'm mistaken, Sera is guaranteed to drop from the Helman Prep Phase monster mission, so if you're having trouble getting her from the ??? events, that's always an option

Naou

Barely Literate
Hi, it's the first time I post here so i'm sorry for my bad english ^^

I got the Breakthrough ending and I thought naively I'd get the Part 2 but it just ended with Rance on the throne... I checked on the wiki and I think I did everything right except the Poppins mission (none of the country fell, I saved Hornet but Crook used her pope wish). I was really thrilled to finally get the true end so I was trully frustrated haha

Thanks in advance !

Garlyle

Novice
Actually I tried translating parts of this game. Not the whole thing, just card skill descriptions, quest name and details and a few menu items like CP and Medal bonuses. First I wanted to change character and skill names, but since those are referenced by name in the code, it's extremely difficult to do that. Also medal bonuses works gameplay-wise, but it screwed up the icons associated with them. This actually helped me to beat Part 2 on Hard Mode, and I started to give more appretiation to certain cards.

But I'm not going to continue translating this, let MG do that instead.

Warning, it is ugly.
cards.jpg
bonuses.jpg
quests.jpg

Last edited:

Framepler

Literate
Wow that's amazing Garlyle!!! I wonder if you could put all you've done on the wiki...?

Garlyle

Novice
Thank you guys. Trust me, it does make the game easier to play, but there are things that still couldn't figure out and bother me: like how to change the 10 thousand number separator to thousand separator. It's something in the code, but a lot of tools are outdated for this kind of search.

Wow that's amazing Garlyle!!! I wonder if you could put all you've done on the wiki...?
You mean the AliceSoft fandom wiki? Tbh, I haven't contributed to any of the wikis yet.

Framepler

Literate
Thank you guys. Trust me, it does make the game easier to play, but there are things that still couldn't figure out and bother me: like how to change the 10 thousand number separator to thousand separator. It's something in the code, but a lot of tools are outdated for this kind of search.

You mean the AliceSoft fandom wiki? Tbh, I haven't contributed to any of the wikis yet.

Yes indeed the AliceSoft fandom wiki :) I contributed on some old games many years ago on games I could understand & played but since I don't read Japanese, I thought your contribution would be so much helpful for new players and even to some casual players :)

Nostaljaded

Savant
Garlyle said:
...I wanted to change character and skill names, but since those are referenced by name in the code, it's extremely difficult to do...
Skill Names & Generic Character Names can be changed without affecting old saves/card database (see battlelog at the bottom).
yL4sqWR.png

Twf8gGK.png
As for changing Card Names, currently it's doable but old saves will be affected and all the saved cards in the card database will be gone.
Unless there's existing/new code function to redirect the original card names to use a new list instead, changing Card Names is only for new players/those willing to forgo their old saves & existing card collection.
WT0jzbA.png
Garlyle
How do you display the character 'r' in the cards' skill descriptions as it's used for line feed, aka the 'r' in the 'Burn 20%' text?
Doesn't work on my end even after following alice-tools author's suggestion.

FWIW, my AutoHotkey keyboard mappings for reference:
Code:
Esc            Menu/Bottom Left Button
Space        Team Composition/Battle - End Combat Turn/Bottom Right Button
Tab            Route Overview/Battle - Help/Top Right Button
F1            Menu - Load
F2            Menu - Load Latest Save
F3            Menu - Load AutoBattleSave/Save
F4            Menu - Set Star for Top Saveslot
F5            Menu - Restart Battle/Give Up Quest
PgUp        Scroll Up by 2 lines
PgDn        Scroll Down by 2 lines

z            Left Click [also mapped to Enter/NumpadEnter]
x            Right Click [also mapped to NumpadDot]
c            Begin Battle/Continue Auto Battle/Yes to Restart Battle
v            View/Replay Event with Synopsis Mode activated
q            Team Composition - Team Bonus Button
e            Team Composition - Switch Info Option Button 
a            Team Composition - Team Assignment Button/Battle - Log
s            Battle - Enemy Support Status
S            Battle - Enemy Abnormal Status
d            Battle - Defend/Switch Info Option in Meal Ticket Screen
f            Battle - Ally Support Status
F            Battle - Ally Abnormal Status
NumpadSub    Battle - Next (Higher) of Support Status List
NumpadAdd    Battle - Previous (Lower) of Support Status List
Numpad9        Battle - Enemy 1st Skill
NumpadDiv    Battle - Left of Enemy Skill/Abnormal Status List
NumpadMult    Battle - Right of Enemy Skill/Abnormal Status List
Numpad0        Battle - Character Swap/Activate Skip Mode [with Skip Mode & Back Scene shortcut button activated]

Numpad2        Battle - Leftmost/Slot 1 1st Skill
NumpadDown    Battle - Leftmost/Slot 1 2nd Skill
Numpad3        Battle - Slot 2 1st Skill
NumpadPgDn    Battle - Slot 2 2nd Skill
Numpad4        Battle - Slot 3 1st Skill
NumpadLeft    Battle - Slot 3 2nd Skill
Numpad5        Battle - Center/Slot 4 1st Skill
NumpadClear    Battle - Center/Slot 4 2nd Skill
Numpad6        Battle - Slot 5 1st Skill
NumpadRight    Battle - Slot 5 2nd Skill
Numpad7        Battle - Slot 6 1st Skill
NumpadHome    Battle - Slot 6 2nd Skill
Numpad8        Battle - Rightmost/Slot 7 1st Skill
NumpadUp    Battle - Rightmost/Slot 7 2nd Skill

m            Treasure Screen 1st Card
,            Treasure Screen 2nd Card
.            Treasure Screen 3rd Card
/            Switch Info Option in Treasure Screen
t            Adventure - Upper Route
g            Adventure - Continue Route/Middle Route
b            Adventure - Lower Route
u            Adventure Part 2 - 1st Choice 
h            Adventure Part 2 - 2nd Choice 
n            Adventure Part 2 - 3rd Choice 
'`' - '9'    Team Composition - Rance Faction, Leazas Faction, Helman Faction... God & Demon Faction

Above frequently-used ones is adapted to standard keyboard layout, I've a few extra keys for slightly different mapping.

Mapped quite a few more like for card swapping/changing Team Bonus so that I can play Adventure & Combat segments entirely with only keyboard, but not really better/faster than using mouse.
Refer to my signature link as starting point on AutoHotkey usage.

kami-nii-

Literate
wow do you guys mind if you can share an English interface patch if its available?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
wow do you guys mind if you can share an English interface patch if its available?
I don't think such a patch exists.
For cards you can look up what the skills do on the wiki https://alicesoft.miraheze.org/wiki/Rance_X:_Character_Cards_&_Skills although doing so requires that you are familiar with the kanas or very patient. Most of the skills are also fairly easy to learn to recognize as there are a lot of generic cards with just (1x physical damage) (+1% hp increase).
I made some primitive paint edits at the start of my run for various things in the interface which I can share, but the limitations of that should obvious. I also made some .txt notes of character skills before I learned to recognize the basics and just started looking up the complex ones on the wiki as needed.

kami-nii-

Literate
what does it mean to 1-turn a country? I keep seeing that term but I do not understand. My guess is you liberate a country in one turn, but wont the quest end after you defeat a fiend? Or is it by winning the first appearance

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom