Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Gamebanshee Does Fallout: New Vegas

Relay

Educated
The invisible walls are what makes fetch quests like Return to Sender much much much worse than they should be or are in most RPG. For example when I had to go to the ranger camp near jacobstown, I thought I could go there by fast traveling to vault 22 and go straight to that place. Except that you can't climb teh mountain. You have to take turns and walk in a circle.

I've rarely seen a game that made me rage so much at the amount of walking since Morrowind. Great job Obsishit. Obsishit can't into making games since even making a mod is too hard for that subpar bunch of monkeys. New Vegas didn't feel like a game, it felt like doing the chores. Since I bought that POS I just felt obligated to go through it until the ending. But I will never, ever replay that POS again, not unless they make a patch that removes the invisible walls, augment the walking speed, make the setting less retarded and.. well, give me a new fucking game.

Black

Arcane
The invisible walls are especially annoying if you're playing a sniper.
"Oooh, this place right there looks like a great spot to snipe the shit out of x"
NOPE

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Yes. This is one of my gripes with New Vegas. I'm still in my first play through, and ended exploring all the map just to discover new locations (I just arrived to the Strip few days ago). It is incredibly annoying when you want to pass from one place to another and you are stopped by fucking invisible walls. It get worse because almost always you need to walk around until you find either a road or a pass.

It's almost as bad as Neverwinter Nights Dos.

Jason

chasing a bee
Also, if nobody else is volunteering to do a Codex review, I might try my hand at gushing all over the front page.
TNO's review should be up in a few days, but if you'd like to give it a go then please do. We had multiple reviews for FO3.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Reconite said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
MCA's second otherwordly masterpiece (sorry Josh Sawyer but you only get the blame, not the praise)
I feel sorry for JES. :(

Sawyer_bazooka.jpg

:love:
Well he's nowhere near dreamy enough.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
Darth Roxor said:
Seems like New Vegas reviews are the shit among cool kids nowadays.

When's the 'Dex review coming, then? :rpgcodex:

I was in the middle of writing one when VD's showed up. Have been trying to decide if it's worth it to finish or not. Might go ahead anyway, but I'm not sure if I'm Codex Famous enough for the front page.

hiver

Very good review. Much more in depth, detailed in explaining and pointing out negative issues of the game then VDs so all around more balanced.

Pleasure to read even if i dont agree on every detail, like obsession with cosplay which seems to be the ultimate sin when considering legion but barely worth mentioning when considering Khans.

Looking forward to codex reviews too.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
hiver said:
Pleasure to read even if i dont agree on every detail, like obsession with cosplay which seems to be the ultimate sin when considering legion but barely worth mentioning when considering Khans.

But... I did mention it considering the Great Khans, who I also considered to be really weak. But they were sufficiently in the background as noise for me not to care as much.

Besides, at least they don't try to talk like mongols.

hiver

Well ok, they are a secondary small faction unlike the Legion.
Although to me they were much more jarring because there was no in game logical explanations why would they exist in that form, unlike the Legion which provides explanations for its existence and design.

I do agree that there potentially could have been a better choice for the main "evil" faction but i consider explanations given in the game about the Legion sufficient to hold water.

Additionally their philosophy and manners truly make them someone i would enjoy obliterating so they do fulfill their purpose in that sense.

Overall the game is a huge mixed bag. You have the "new" FPS engine and mechanics but many reflections on Originals in terms of gameplay and mechanics design philosophy.
You have much more importance delegated to skills but also ways to circumvent being dependent on them by just finding the proper "parts" or tools for the job (repairing ED-e or performing successful surgery with 20 in medical skill)

You have dialogue skill based limitations but you can fail them and come back later in most cases.

etc.

A true clash or melting pot of proper RPG ideals and modern publisher demands for mass market accessibility.

Again, that is some pretty damn good review.

flushfire

Augur
Relay said:
The invisible walls
Not really that bad, FO3 did the same thing except the walls were visible. I remember 3 or 4 times I ran into them and only one made me rage. I mean they couldve put rocks instead of walls, sure rocks would be a little better, those would warn you visually ahead of time, but the end is essentially the same, you still can't go through.
Relay said:
I've rarely seen a game that made me rage so much at the amount of walking since Morrowind.
Then you never played Drakensang or Risen.
Relay said:
Since I bought that POS I just felt obligated to go through it until the ending.
Why would you go through the chore just because you paid for it? You certainly wouldn't be getting your money back OR it's worth by working your way til the end. Seems to me you're just in denial of finding something in the game that made it worth playing through. :smug:

Relay

Educated
Not really that bad, FO3 did the same thing except the walls were visible. I remember 3 or 4 times I ran into them and only one made me rage. I mean they couldve put rocks instead of walls, sure rocks would be a little better, those would warn you visually ahead of time, but the end is essentially the same, you still can't go through.

But most of the time in FO3 I could just go straight to a place and expect it to work. There were little if any "walking in circle", like going to the ranger camp from vault 22 and having to circle the place to get there. I could go to Arefu, Rivet City or Tenpenny tower from Megaton walking in a straight line and get there with little time spent walking.

Then you never played Drakensang or Risen.

No I haven't. And the fact you brought this up is going to make it even less likely that I ever play those two. More walking than New Vegas and Morrowind ? Madness.

Why would you go through the chore just because you paid for it?

Well it pains me to have spent money on something if I didn't see it through the end. I did the same mistake of buying DA, nearly stopped playing at the derp roads but the inner completionist in me was too butthurt for word.

UserNamer

Cipher
Relay, I agree that there is way too much walking in this game. Some of the quests were nuts. Still in the dark, the brotherhood quest, is shit. Return to sender (chief hanlon suicide quest) was shit, but I enjoyed the ending.

Granted, most of those are non essential sidequests. But I agree that too much walking, per se, it is a design choice sin. In fallout new vegas 2 I would like less walking and more same-location quests.

But maybe new vegas is not made to be completed (doing every possible quest) in a single game. If you play it by exploring every possible location and doing every possible quest, the game loses any sense of narrative importance and it becomes a walking-fest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom