Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Game Revolution approves of HotU

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark

<a href=http://www.game-revolution.com>Game Revolution</a> <a href=http://www.game-revolution.com/games/pc/rpg/neverwinter_nights_hordes.htm>gave</a> <a href=http://nwn.bioware.com/underdark>Hordes of the Underdark</a> <b>B+</b> for being a "new dungeon crawl", having "plenty of new stuff", and sporting "twice the player levels".
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>But some of that love is missing from the single player. I prefer more open-ended gameplay than the linear story of Underdark, and it seems like all of Bioware’s best storywriters were busy working on Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic, because <u>the dialogue options are more limited, choices seldom effect your alignment, and someone seems to have confused being evil with being a jerk</u>. </blockquote>
<br>
I don’t know why the reviewer is surprised. It sounds like any other Bio game. Out of curiosity I decided to check what their impression of NWN was:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>NWN:</b> <b>A-:</b> This is a terrific game, one of the best computer translations of D&D ever created. Though its gameplay is a bit ubiquitous, it offers more dork depth than anything else in town and simply shouldn't be missed by any self-respecting geek.</blockquote>
<br>
Riiight. How very objective of you…
<br>
<br>
<A HREF="http://www.gengamers.com/index.html">GenGamers</A>

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Liek, teh profeshunal reviewah with teh mad writing skillz0rz!!

Seriously though, this is true. Its amazing how people reviewing a game don't notice these things. Either they play the game only once and do the review based on that, or everyone is playing the good working copy while i've had the misfortune of getting the only one where these things happen.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Or they don't play the game at all and just check what other sites and forums seem to think. Why else everybody was bitching about ToEE's game-stopping bugs? :shock:

Jed

Cipher
Vault Dweller said:
Or they don't play the game at all and just check what other sites and forums seem to think. Why else everybody was bitching about ToEE's game-stopping bugs? :shock:
Y'know, I've been playing KotOR for just about 10 hours, and while I like it for what it is (though it can't touch Anachronox, the game it is most similar to), I've had no less than three CTDs and one weird situation where the context menus disappeared from the mines in the Taris sewers. My machine is relatively top of the line and immaculately maintained, so what's up with Bioware's legendary Q&A? While I haven't finished ToEE yet (I started over a few hours in) I haven't had a single CTD, yet it's supposed to be TEH BUGGGI3ST GAEM EVAR!!!!11 according to some voices.

Transcendent One

Liturgist
I think almost everyone will agree that the ToEE bug issue is blown too far out of proportion. Indeed, I never had CTD's in ToEE until the Balor battle, cause it would crash unless the final strike is delivered with the Frostbrand.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
The ToEE bug problem is simply stemmed from someone saying it had bugs out the ass and then someone else deciding not to get the game, but reporting their 'review' of it anyways and so on and so forth. It isn't a Bioware product so it can't be THAT great. :roll:

I never once had a problem with the bugs in ToEE except for minor shit that was not game killing in anyway, nor did I ever get one CTD from the game. And I played it through three times. Before the patch, even.

I agree with VD. I think these people don't even play the games and just report what they read from other people just to be part of the mainstream and seem like they are on top of things. You know someone actually PLAYED the game when you get an objective review. Adrenaline Vault at least plays the games before reviewing them. Why can't others? :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom