Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game of the year 1998?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Ask some bro to install the game on his PC, apply the latest patch, 7z and send it to you?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
MetalCraze said:
Ask some bro to install the game on his PC, apply the latest patch, 7z and send it to you?

Hey bro could you install this game on your PC, apply the latest patch, 7z and send it to me? :D

If I keep running my head against the wall I'll dig up and old laptop with XP and run it on that. It's one of the only golden goldies I haven't finished yet.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO I VOTED FOR ZELDA

I THINK THE GAME WAS A BIT MUCH FOR LOTS OF PCTARDS THOUGH I DONT THINK MNY OF THEM COULD UNDERSTAND IT

Sacculina

Educated
catfood said:
T1_cover.jpg

:love:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
For fucks sake Grunker, why don't you have a selection of old PC's so you can easily play the oldies from that limbo era of early windows or why don't you dual boot? I've a PIII 650 with Win98, a P4 2000 with XP, and my current (ancient) machine that has both XP and Win7.

Captain Shrek

Keeper Deven said:

MG_7192_wm.jpg

I am divided between Thief 1 and Deus Ex as my ALL TIME FAVORITEs.

In many ways Deus Ex is inferior in terms of gameplay but the sheer captivating hours I have enjoyed with it lets it have ALL OF MY LOVE.

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
commie said:
For fucks sake Grunker, why don't you have a selection of old PC's so you can easily play the oldies from that limbo era of early windows or why don't you dual boot? I've a PIII 650 with Win98, a P4 2000 with XP, and my current (ancient) machine that has both XP and Win7.

'cause I've never run into a game I couldn't run with some tinkering :(

Even MoO2 and Alpha Centauri ran fine after a while.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Grunker now has to slave for me for eternity. Too bad you are not a hot female - then eternity could've been repaid in blowjobs.

I also put some useful shit there that may help you with your Win7 problems and more.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Grunker bro if you don't have an XP installation like normal people consider getting VMWare/Virtual Box/Virtual PC . Unless you enjoy taking angry irradiated cocks. :smug:

Ruprekt

Scholar
Grunker said:
commie said:

'cause I've never run into a game I couldn't run with some tinkering :(

Even MoO2 and Alpha Centauri ran fine after a while.

You're more likely to run into video card rather than OS issues. Particularly with nvidia (at present).

Akasen

Augur
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Phage said:
Akasen, did you actually play any of the games mentioned in this thread?
Sadly not, not really. I do see mentions of Metal Gear Solid and Half Life, but I wouldn't really consider those GoTY (1998). At least not yet.

I do have Fallout 2 on the hard drive but I have yet to play it on account of not being finished with Fallout 1.

Although looking at the list of games on MobyGames I did spot a little game called Dividead. Played through that a couple years back. Not GoTY material but still a bit of a classic in it's own right.

But to keep it simple: Generally no, I have not really played any games mentioned in this thread so far.

DemonKing

Arcane
It's a tough call for me between Half Life and Baldur's Gate. Thief was just as innovative but didn't have quite the same levels of polish as those two titles.

The original Starcraft was also released that year but it didn't do too much for me.

Lunac

Arcane
Carnivores. ActionForms's (Ukrainian developer) own inhouse engine was way ahead of anything out there at the time, offering full Glide support out of the box and later via patch a full Direct3D support as well. While most massive developer/publisher shops were still pumping out low res, sprite based unoriginal DOS monstrosities, despite their multi-million budgets, here was a never-heard-of dev studio working with a non-existent budget and completing what ended up being a technological marvel at the time.

The consistent non-zoned massive 3D gameworld was something pretty rare outside of MMORPG's at the time (heck, that is still true today). Also, the futuristic setting on a alien world with mysterious pyramids, temples, and what not was pretty awesome. Just exploring was fun enough, you didn't even have to shoot anything to enjoy the game, game that seemed nothing more than a hunting sim at first glance.

Also, too many fuken Valve faggots in here. HL? WTF? That shit was popamole hyped shit. Only reason it gained in popularity was because of at the time unprecedented advertising campaign. Every gaming magazine possible, TV spots, you name it. Pretty amazing for a PC game in that era. Same way Total Annihilation was named GOTY by every magazine the previous year, 1997, massive brib... umm, massive advertising campaign, exclusive demos, press meets, etc. The difference is Valve survived the 99-01 era of acquisitions/mergers and the tech bubble that annihilated most of the dev/publisher studios of the time. Hence, why mentioning Cavedog gets you blank stares and TA franchise has been relegated to obscurity, while the word Valve bring forth foaming-at-the-mouth nutso popamole fanbois. HL was CoD of it's era, in every respect. The shining indicator of the beginning of the decline.

DakaSha

Arcane
Saying that HL1 was popamole or the CoD of its time is to me like saying that the first matrix is generic shit that looks like every other action movie. Yes it does... because they all copied the fuck out of it.
HL1 was good for its time. the problem is that it was copied/raped so fucking much that it has become the 'beginning of the end'.
Nowdays if you play it its gonna look like shit. But back then it really was revolutionary. it was just TOO revolutionary (and made valve to fucking rich)
edit: i will add that it was too fuckign easy though.. which is unforgivable.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
MetalCraze said:
Grunker now has to slave for me for eternity. Too bad you are not a hot female - then eternity could've been repaid in blowjobs.

I also put some useful shit there that may help you with your Win7 problems and more.

Thank you sir mr. Skyway sir :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom