Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Game cancellations that made you personally butthurt

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Knights of the Old Republic III by Obsidian.

iirc, Chris Avellone once talked about how the ending to Sith Lords was a deliberate cliff-hanger because LucasArts gave them the impression that they'd be working on a sequel, but of course that never happened. Instead we got Drew Karpshyn's shitty novel to tie everything up and whatever the fuck happened in the Old Republic MMORPG.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Tiberian Incursion by Westwood Studios. Could it have been better than C&C3 Tiberium Wars?

Would Aliens Crucible be a good game?

I'm a bit sad The Fall: part 3 will never be developed, but it wasn't cancelled, the problem was people weren't buying part 1 and 2 so that part 3 could be financed.

Guild Wars: Utopia.

Although in retrospect, it would likely have been made with more or less the same staff, aka not the same people who made Prophecies & Factions, and mostly the same devs who made the steaming pile of shit Guild Wars 2. Not to mention literally the same devs who made Guild Wars: Eye of the North (which was fairly bad). But if they had been making what was intended to be another Guild Wars campaign rather than essentially a mechanism to shoehorn new Guild Wars 2 lore (with no connection to the established world of Tyria) into the original Guild Wars so they could claim GW2's shitpile of a setting was somehow "part of the original", and to introduce the players to their World of Warcraft clone's version of raids, perhaps it would have been better.

At any rate I'm certainly disappointed that they stopped making Guild Wars games.

Luka-boy

Arcane
X-Com Alliance. I liked the concept.

Also, a thread about cancelled/dropped mods that made us personally butthurt might be interesting too.

Fargus

Arcane
Every game that died with Troika. Especially that post apoc game. Arcanum one also stings.

Original Baldurs Gate 3.

The orginal Doom 4. Kinda liked the idea of more gritty look on demon invasion of earth, despite people bitching it looked like CoD with demons.

Torn by Black Isle.

Van Buren\Fallout 3. Partially remedied with New Vegas. But one of the biggest cancellation butthurts i've ever had.

Duke Nukem Forever 2001. Can't wait for restoration project though.

Obshitian's Stormlands and Alien rpg looked cool.

Prey 2. I loved everything i saw in that gameplay video. But it was not up to "Bethesda's high quality standarts".

Half-Life EP3

Half Life Return to Ravenholm by Arkane.

Nocturne sequel. Got partially reborn as Bloodrayne 1.

Proper sequel to Rune 1. We got shitty alpha of some survival Rune game isntead.

Werewolf the Apocalypse: Heart of Gaia. Was almost finished too.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Beyond Good & Evil 2 - Ubisoft(2008)

Elveon -10tacle​

LMK - Larian

Prey 2 - Human Head

Deep Down - Capcom

Last edited:

spockthewok

Novice
What do people find more frustrating to think about, games that could have been great but were cancelled, or great games that could have been so much better if their development hadn't been as rushed? (i.e. SS2, KOTOR II, FNV, VTMB, the list goes on...)

I personally think there's a big difference between reading through design documents or watching a tech demo for a game that you can only imagine what it would have been like, over actually playing a game and experiencing the shortcomings or missed opportunities first-hand.

:negative:

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
What do people find more frustrating to think about, games that could have been great but were cancelled, or great games that could have been so much better if their development hadn't been as rushed? (i.e. SS2, KOTOR II, FNV, VTMB, the list goes on...)
It's the reality of the business, as I've mentioned before: "financial difficulties, company restructuring, volatile decision-making or even straight up incompetence on the part of the publisher", and so on.

I for one am glad these games exist in the first place (warts and all). I mean, the very first UFO/X-COM was technically cancelled by MicroProse, according to Julian Gollop. Can you imagine that? S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl could have easily entered my list if THQ didn't bother to salvage it late in development. We also wouldn't have Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat. As lacking and broken, or whatever, as these games may seem, I'm thankful we got them.

I personally think there's a big difference between reading through design documents or watching a tech demo for a game that you can only imagine what it would have been like, over actually playing a game and experiencing the shortcomings or missed opportunities first-hand.

:negative:
By most game developer accounts, that's exactly why they can't fully enjoy/appreciate their own games.

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
Realms Beyond, or what happens when you have 0% business acumen as a game dev.
nah, pierre has 0% business acumen and still can finish the game. realms beyond was just a scam. all iterations.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
heartbreakers_screen0c9em9.jpg
fallout-3-van-buren-63jfxq.jpg
fallout-3-van-buren-7s1dak.jpg
01_235imb.jpg
f3_c_20f8eu4.jpg
f3_scr_4ccfk7.jpg
This always looked atrocious to me. Thank god it never came out.
Early 3d was a big mistake.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Escape from New York, turned into Dead to Right which was quickly forgotten.

Does the wrong evolution counts?
AfterFall InSanity started as "Fallout 1/2 but in post-apo modern Łódź Poland", but they turned it into TPP horror action game, with a lot of jank, bad acting and some scam in the developement happened.

Single player portion of Wolfenstein Enemy Territory.

Original Baldurs Gate 3.
do we know anything about it outside of that desktop wallpaper?

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Albion II, mein Shadefreund. Of course, I am speaking of the 1995 Albion RPG and not the MMO.

Apparently, there was a sequel under a different name (or perhaps it was a spiritual successor) in the making; an alpha gameplay trailer was made too. Nowadays, you won't find a single reference to it, but I swear, I saw the video and some pictures.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
I do remember Command and Conquer Generals 2. It was almost finished I think and then got canned for some reason. I also would have liked to see Prey 2, the trailer looked great.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What do people find more frustrating to think about, games that could have been great but were cancelled, or great games that could have been so much better if their development hadn't been as rushed?
Games that could have been great but were cancelled are more frustrating. Obviously satisfaction is better than disappointment but I can much more easily forgive a world where people gave it a try and it didn't work out.

A couple of games I'm still dreaming about 20+ years later:

Guardians: Agents of Justice (Microprose, 1996)
Guardians-Agents-Justice-Microprose-Cancelled-6.png
Guardians-Agents-Justice-Microprose-Cancelled-5.png

https://www.unseen64.net/2010/06/06/guardians-agents-of-justice-pc-cancelled/

In the years before I had any concept of the difference between developers and publishers, Microprose was a name I trusted, thanks to such diverse games as Pirates!, Master of Orion, and of course the first X-COMs.

Guardians was planned to be turn-based, isometric strategy about a team of superheroes each custom built by the player from a list of power sets. I still want to play this game. Of course we did get the realtime Freedom Force in 2002, and I liked FF but was disappointed that it was not about the custom heroes I built, favoring Irrational's original heroes instead. Again, good, but didn't quite scratch the itch.

Third World (Redline Games/Activision, 1998)
3rdw4.jpg

3rdw7.jpg
3rdw8.jpg
3rdw9.jpg
3rdw10.jpg

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/redline-activision-relationship-decays/1100-2463484/

Another strategy game (real-time this time), low stakes street-level gang wars, and again, all characters would be generated by the players. This is the first game I ever heard of where character portraits would be assembled from different facial elements (e.g. choose head shape, eyes, mouth, etc. to "potato head" original characters).

In the game, set in a postapocalyptic future, players put together gangs composed of representatives from mutant, android, cyborg, and alien races, then battle rival gangs. Characters gain new skills and abilities as they collect technology and artifacts they find strewn throughout the decaying urban landscape.
The game will use Redline's True Perspective 3D game engine, Activision says, and will feature real-time 3D characters and environments and 360-degree rotating camera angles. The game will include multiplayer support for up to eight players and free Internet play over Activision's ActivLink service.
Ron Millar, president of Redline Games and lead designer for Third World, says, "RPG fans will get off on customizing and building up their gang. Tactical fans will thrive on conquering and defending the city's buildings and resources. Action fans will love the real-time combat and 3D engine. This game is going to rock."

Still one of the best trailers I've ever seen (beware eye-stabbingly low resolution, recommend you DON'T zoom in):

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Crusader: No Mercy as a third and final part was cancelled. They were planning to add alien and outdoor areas plus tinker more with AI. And of course add more weapons/gadgets.

Loose Cannon - a sandbox style action game. It was being developed by Digital Anvil (Tony Zurovec from Origin was part of the founding members, that's why the title stuck in my memory).

They Hunger: Lost Souls. A sequel to a great mod, that died slowly in development hell. There is a playthrough of leaked alpha versions on the net.

Into The Shadows - very impressive tech demo was released with some additional press kits. It was being developed by swedish demo group Triton. Part of the team founded Starbreeze Studios.

Urban Chaos 2 - I really liked the first part, since the sandbox design was really good, and had a lot of fun just exploring the city. Mucky Foot Productions who were ex-Bullfrog mostly made also cool Startopia strategy game. Their last released title was horrible Blade II, which killed them. They were also planning to make Punisher game.

Outcast 2: The Lost Paradise - trying to work with Playstation 2 dev kits wasn't easy for a developer, who worked only on PC version of the original.

Deus Ex 3: Insurrection

deus-ex-3-insurrectio3femq.jpg

deus-ex-3-insurrectiol9dqs.jpg

deus-ex-3-insurrectiorqiq2.jpg

Mortal Kombat X for PS3/X360
Wolfenstein 3D: Sonderkommando Revolt
Original 2007 build of Mortal Kombat: Blood Storm
Quake 3 single player (when it was called Trinity)
Bulletstorm 2
Aliens RPG

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom