Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GalCiv2 Economy System Sucks

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I've been playing around with the game in cheat mode so that I can figure out how the economy sliders and such work (because the game barely gives you any feedback) and I realized that the system in GalCiv 2 isn't quite what I thought it was.

Here's the part I knew: There's only one resource, Billions of Credits (BC) and your planets turn those into either hammers or sickles. Now, I was under the impression that building factories gave you bonus production, but what they do is just allow you to spend more of your money at once. The problem is with this is that you can't control how much you spend if you have multiple planets, nor can you utilize 100% of a planet's production capacity in all three areas (research, civil, military), even if you have enough BC.

If one planet has like 4 factories, that allows it to make it's normal production plus 32 BC of hammers and whatnot. But if you also have a planet that has only 1 factory, it can do it's normal production plus only 8 BC. There's no way to individually control how much money is going to your various planets, only a global slider. When you change the Military slider to 50%, you aren't allocating 50% of all your tax revenue to the military (if your production slider is at 100%). You are allowing all of your planets to use 50% of their potential, so a lot of your factories on the well-developed planets gets wasted if you aren't at 100%, but if you set it to 100% you can't use any of your research or civil stuff, no matter how many credits you have.

If that doesn't make any sense, the basic thingy that I'm on about it this:
When you slide your sliders in the economy menu, you aren't allocating a percentage of your total BC, you are allocating a percentage of your potential output. That leads to a lot of waste, especially if you own more than one planet with different production capacities. You are always wasting because you can't set all three sliders to 100%

edit- FYI, the slider right below tax rate only controls how much money is set aside into the treasury.

bryce777

Erudite
That seems completely retarded.

I bought gal civ 1 and it seemed to be pretty stupid to me, overall. Granted, I did not really get into it, but I disliked the way it was designed as far as the various stupid resources. Sort of like civ III except more so...a very stupid feature, to say the least.

Ugrok

Novice
Post that in the official forums, as Brad (the main developer) stated that the next patch would include strong economic changes. He needs suggestions.

Seboss

Liturgist
Note that you can focus planet production in the colony screen.

mathboy

Liturgist
I think this thread is about something similar to what you are talking about, but it's three pages long with lots of text, so you'll have to read it for yourself. It even has developer-writings in it!

Astromarine

Erudite
hmmm. The tax slider actually controls how much income you get this turn, not just how much goes into the treasury. However, the main point to understand about GC's systems is the following:

The Income and Spending are unrelated. here's how you control the economy:

Income:
- You use the Tax setting to set how much you tax your population.
- You build farms to increase the population, so you have more income.
- You build Morale boosters to make your taxpayers happy, so you can tax them more.

Spending POTENTIAL:
- To spend money, you have to have somewhere to spend it IN. As you said, you build factories and labs to increase your Industrial Capacity.

Actual Spending:
- One unfortunate decision SD made was to make your social spending never stop, even if you're not building anything. This was so you wouldn't get HUGE fluctuations when you research a social upgrade (like enhanced factories) and suddenly all your planets start spending like crazy. However, military spending happens ONLY when you're building ships.
- You use the 3 sliders to control how much percentage of your Spending you will put in each category.
- You use the Spending tab to select how much of your total potential you want to spend, potential being the percentage of your total industrial capacity that you chose on the three sliders.

At least, that what I think happens. I'm not sure what happens when you focus on research or social inside a planet.

People have complained about the economy, and I believe some changes are coming. One idea Wardell himself gave was separating the labs from the factories, so that you can spend the total of your reseach if you want and you can choose how to spend your factories' production, either in ships or social improvements.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
The tax slider actually controls how much income you get this turn, not just how much goes into the treasury
I said the slider below the tax bar. Otherwise you didn't tell me anything new, just repeated what I said.

LlamaGod

Cipher
People have complained about the economy, and I believe some changes are coming. One idea Wardell himself gave was separating the labs from the factories, so that you can spend the total of your reseach if you want and you can choose how to spend your factories' production, either in ships or social improvements.[/quotes]

thats a very good idea, having a small planet be something other than just a research bonus usually isnt that great. Now they can be ship-makers or just more people to tax.

Frau Bishop

Erudite
http://forums.galciv2.com/?ForumID=274&AID=106926
---
#32 by Citizen Hereticked
Sunday, March 12, 2006 3:36 PM

1. The game does suck right now, but not because of the crashing.
2. Yes, the real problem is the gameplay bugs. I've said it about 10 times now, and I've also said its not my responsibility to report them. Get it through your thick skull.
3. Wrong. Many people ARE finding the bugs and many of them are being reported. I guess they have a lot of free time. I don't, and I merely came here to express my frustration and to bring up an issue thats critical if PC gaming is going to stop circling the toilet bowl. For this, I am being accosted by asshats like you who defend Stardock rather than acknowledge the actual PROBLEM which is releasing an incomplete game.
4. Yes I have been busy answering forum replies..... but that ends now since its not accomplishing anything.
5. Anyone defending Stardock without acknowledging the central issue at hand IS a fanboy, and I hope you die in a fire.
Adios.
----

Is this someone from the Codex? If not, can I invite him to join here!? :lol:

Serious.. that's just one of the many newer posts at the official gav2 forum which tell me to back off from this game without wasting any more time on it. Sad, I would really like to play a new 4X, but it's not "the one" - maybe around christmas it will be. But on the other hand, I will be playing PTD around christmas.. damn. :wink:

Frau Bishop said:
http://forums.galciv2.com/?ForumID=274&AID=106926
---
#32 by Citizen Hereticked
Sunday, March 12, 2006 3:36 PM

1. The game does suck right now, but not because of the crashing.
2. Yes, the real problem is the gameplay bugs. I've said it about 10 times now, and I've also said its not my responsibility to report them. Get it through your thick skull.
3. Wrong. Many people ARE finding the bugs and many of them are being reported. I guess they have a lot of free time. I don't, and I merely came here to express my frustration and to bring up an issue thats critical if PC gaming is going to stop circling the toilet bowl. For this, I am being accosted by asshats like you who defend Stardock rather than acknowledge the actual PROBLEM which is releasing an incomplete game.
4. Yes I have been busy answering forum replies..... but that ends now since its not accomplishing anything.
5. Anyone defending Stardock without acknowledging the central issue at hand IS a fanboy, and I hope you die in a fire.
Adios.
----

Is this someone from the Codex? If not, can I invite him to join here!? :lol:
The dumb fuck is trying to run it on a GeForce 4400 MX. AKA, an overclocked GeForce2. If his hardware is that outdated, I imagine his device drivers are in pretty shitty shape as well.

Serious.. that's just one of the many newer posts at the official gav2 forum which tell me to back off from this game without wasting any more time on it. Sad, I would really like to play a new 4X, but it's not "the one" - maybe around christmas it will be. But on the other hand, I will be playing PTD around christmas.. damn. :wink:
You have no taste in 4x games, sorry. L2P, DIAF, etc.

LlamaGod

Cipher
THe bugs arnt nearly as bad as alot of idiots make it out to be. Every now and then there might be a 'biggie', but I can play and win games fine without any problems.

I can also run the game god damn good for how shitty my computer is and it runs WAAAAAAY better than Civ 4.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Yeah there are certainly no game killing bugs that I can see. There's only one situation where it will crash to desktop and you probably won't run into it (there might be more, but I haven't run into them). The latest patches make the game run a lot smoother, to me, and yeah it does run a little better than Civ 4. All of the bugs I run into are mostly UI bugs (stuff being highlighted when it shouldn't be, selection cursor on ships that I don't have selected (or vice versa, which is irritating), stuff like that). It is probably the most fun 4X game I've played, including Alpha Centauri.

And don't worry about dolphin, he's an imperious 12 year old.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom