Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GalCiv II is either shit or I'm a faggot

Is GalCivII shit or am I a faggot?

• It is shit. Don't worry you are not gay

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No it's great. Quit chasing dick

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quit being so homophobic

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

huminado

Novice
Also, I started playing GalCiv (the original) when it first came out. It wasn't that good - it was okay. Then I saw they came out with GalCiv 2, but I didn't buy it. I saw in their forums they had taken out deathstars which had been in GalCiv, and I immediately felt like something was hugely wrong.

Then they came out with another expansion, and I told them to screw themselves - I wasn't paying for expansion after expansion. Finally a long time later I found the "gold edition" which included the expansion for $20 and decided to try it. It was fine - but not great, and still no deathstars.

When they came out with Twighlight of the Arnor, I really hesitated buying it, even with all the raving reviews, and I noticed they had put deathstars back in. Obviously this was completely intentional: sell a completely crippled version of the game to milk the loyal fans with expansion after expansion. And this also felt like they were finally offering a finished product.

I finally broke down and decided to try it out when I found a good price for it. I liked it (even without the SWST mod). The characters are weird for sure. The Korx guy is kind of cool, and the music varies from bearable to annoying. There's no reason to really care about the characters, and that's why the game is relatively nominal without the SWST mod.

It's almost as if they had designed the game from the ground up to be "how do we make an awesome Star Wars/Star Trek universe game?" and they did it, and then they couldn't afford the licensing for those franchises or something. "So fine, we'll publish it with crap characters and make the whole thing completely moddable, so that the fans can make that Star Wars/Star Trek universe game themselves."

That's what GalCiv 2 is - but you have to have ToA and SWST mod.

huminado

Novice
sigh.

another troll fed.

no you are not gay for not liking a game.

no the game does not suck, it just isn't for you. plenty of people like it. plenty of people like other things you might not like.

what is important, is that you SPEND ALL YOUR WAKING MOMENTS DOING STUFF YOU LIKE, rather than quibbling over how crappy all the other stuff is, which is a COMPLETE WASTE OF EVERYONE'S TIME.

yes?

DakaSha

Arcane
huminado said:
sigh.

another troll fed.

no the game does not suck, it just isn't for you. plenty of people like it. plenty of people like other things you might not like.

what is important, is that you SPEND ALL YOUR WAKING MOMENTS DOING STUFF YOU LIKE, rather than quibbling over how crappy all the other stuff is, which is a COMPLETE WASTE OF EVERYONE'S TIME.

yes?

I find it terribly amusing that you joined on my birthday. PRAISE THE LORD
(I'm joking.. you'll get used to the place eventually if you dont run away crying)
GalCiv II is shit. A better smelling brand of shit then lots of shit. But shit nonetheless
(Not joking here. It's shit in case i havnt mentioned it)

mondblut

Arcane
huminado said:

yes?

No. These forums exist for the sole purpose of quibbling over how crappy all the other stuff is. You won't like it here, and I suggest to move on before you get traumatized for life.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
huminado said:
sigh.

another troll fed.

yes?

I don't think you comprehend the depth of the Codex. We not only spend all day talking about how much we hate stuff, we spend all day playing the stuff we hate at the expense of the stuff we like. Think of us as the closeted pastors of the internet community, preaching hellfire for all homosexuals at lunchtime and taking it like a trooper from big Bubba by night.
This impression will only be furthered by a visit to General Discussion.

We are not weird. We are martyrs. Tranny martyrs.

Disconnected

Scholar
DakaSha said:
So seriously??? Why do people think this is good???

Because it's so much like a boardgame, extended to make way longer playing times interesting, and with mechanics designed to be so AI friendly that most of us non-mensa fuckers who don't look up strategies online, would get our asses handed to us regularly even on "don't have to play it like a puzzle for some poor OCD fuck" difficulty.

Also, I think a lot of it is to do with expectations. I realised I'd tried GalCiv1 a couple of times ages earlier when I started playing GalCiv2, but that's the totality of my expectations of it. The "LasIV: better than the last 1, hurhur!" stuff, to me, was just lame humour trying to cover up extending the tech trees to make more than tiny map sizes playable. Indeed, once I started figuring out how the game worked and turned up the difficulty, I thought it had tonnes of personality. Not only were there tonnes of weird random events & all the scavenging stuff, the Faction AI behaved even more in line with its various personalities than, for example, SMAC's, and managed to do it without being dumber than a sack of shit.

But if you expect to be blown away by the fully realised & meticulously researched & realistic setting, then... It'll suck. Same if you expect it to have 50 gazillion moving parts, or for any kind of in-game events to be portrayed in more than the very, very abstract. It's a low budget game and neither big nor sprawling.

You might want to try SMAC (more realistic Civ game in Spaaace, with oodles of personality) or Distant Worlds (less realistic Empire Simulation in Spaaace and probably the closest to an equal opposite to GalCiv2). One or both will likely fit your expectations better.

EDIT: Totally agree on the sucky documentation, though. Especially since the mechanics are designed to be AI friendly and, consequently, really aren't at all intuitive or otherwise human friendly.

DakaSha

Arcane
Fuck distant worlds. Fuck it to hell
SMAC is awesome even if it has some problems. Certainly better then this shitstain

edit: also why do people keep telling me to try X game that everybody has played ^^ It's almost insulting to my geekiness ^^

Disconnected

Scholar
DakaSha said:
Fuck distant worlds. Fuck it to hell
SMAC is awesome even if it has some problems. Certainly better then this shitstain

Glad you like SMAC. There's a SMAC TC for Civ IV, just in case you haven't played that past undeath yet.

I'm curious too, though. Not that I expect everyone to like DW, but what makes you hate it?

edit: also why do people keep telling me to try X game that everybody has played ^^ It's almost insulting to my geekiness ^^

Sorry, I didn't mean to. It's just that SMAC is kind of old and DW is kind of obscure, so assuming your familiarity with them seemed ridiculously optimistic. But possibly I should be asking you for Space based GS game suggestions instead :)

DakaSha

Arcane
I hate DW because it cost me 60 bucks and was (and still is) an incredibly buggy, poorly designed, gimmicky game that was not only tedious to play but also didnt allow for as much strategical thought as it claims.
Among a billion other things

And when it comes to space strategy.. its sad to say that there isnt anything really good besides SMAC and Moo1 + 2.. and even they have their faults (I guess everything does)

As much as i rant about GalCivII the fact of the matter is that its still one of the best. But thats due to the others sucking IMO.. not GalCiv being good :P

There is Space Empires IV (Ignore V) which is 'ok'-'good' with some mods and patience.. but it too is way to tedious IMO

Star Ruler came out a year or 2 ago.. Played like shit when i tried it but as far as i know it is being updated rapidly so maybe its ok now :-/

Aurora is like a spreadsheet/Dwarf Fortress fusion.. unplayable IMO but didnt give it to much time.. its free so doesnt hurt to try

All the moo open source clones/remakes arnt finished enough (at all..)

There is Moo3 with the Chocolate/Strawberry Mods which makes it playable i guess.. Still should prob just stick to Moo1 or 2 :P

Eh and so on.. chances are if you like space strategy you know them all :P

Ruprekt

Scholar
That pretty much sums up my feelings.

GalCiv2 is nothing special, but it's about the only one of these games which doesn't turn into tedious derp by the mid-end game.

Well back when I bought it wouldn't work because of Starforce and I didn't have internet connection so I couldn't crack it either. When I finally got to play it it just sucked. Boring as shit. I have for some time now tried to find a 4x game as fun as the board game Twilight Imperium, to no avail.

Destroid

Arcane
You might have to play against human opponents for that. But really, board games are just awesome.

DakaSha

Arcane
Ruprekt said:
Found that quote from Brad Wardell.

In GalCiv, if I couldn't get the AI to use a feature, it just wouldn't go into the game.

I actually agree with that way of thinking. Of course you could always design a game based around the fact that the AI is dumber but has an advantage..

like.. erm.. AI WAR.. which is btw one of the best space strat games ever made. However it is not the same genre as the others listed so it doesnt really count.

Still recommend it to anybody who hasnt tried it

ravinhood

Novice
Well 72% say you're a faggot and I agreed. ;) GalCiv2 is one of the best 4x out there right now. But, I really like X3:Terran Conflict better than them all. At least in that game you get to FLY the damn spaceships and all of them at that when you want to.

And AI WAR suks it's one of the WORST whatever you want to try to call it space games I ever played.

DakaSha

Arcane
ravinhood said:
Well 72% say you're a faggot and I agreed. ;) GalCiv2 is one of the best 4x out there right now. But, I really like X3:Terran Conflict better than them all. At least in that game you get to FLY the damn spaceships and all of them at that when you want to.

And AI WAR suks it's one of the WORST whatever you want to try to call it space games I ever played.

failtroll

Marobug

huminado said:
sigh.

another troll fed.

yes?

Someone should say this in every thread in the codex.

edit:
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
Well back when I bought it wouldn't work because of Starforce and I didn't have internet connection so I couldn't crack it either. When I finally got to play it it just sucked. Boring as shit. I have for some time now tried to find a 4x game as fun as the board game Twilight Imperium, to no avail.

LOL galciv is known for not featuring any copy protection at all, let alone starforce.
Are you sure you weren't trying to boot up crysis 2 ?
:M

DakaSha

Arcane
Marobug said:
huminado said:
sigh.

another troll fed.

yes?

Someone should say this in every thread in the codex.

Did somebody hurt your feelings?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom