Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4X Galactic Civilizations IV: Supernova Edition

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I've been playing this a ton, but not because it's good. I'm just addicted to seeing what kind of maps it generates. The main thing holding it back from being good is the research system. Randomizing what you can research is so retarded that I have no idea how they thought that could have been a good idea.

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
I've been playing this a ton, but not because it's good. I'm just addicted to seeing what kind of maps it generates. The main thing holding it back from being good is the research system.

Wait, it's already out?

Randomizing what you can research is so retarded that I have no idea how they thought that could have been a good idea.

It worked well in Sword of the Stars. No idea if it's well implemented here.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
I've been playing this a ton, but not because it's good. I'm just addicted to seeing what kind of maps it generates. The main thing holding it back from being good is the research system. Randomizing what you can research is so retarded that I have no idea how they thought that could have been a good idea.

There was huge hype from Stellaris and I think one of the MoOs did this as well so people are really into tech tree dynamism these days.

1iMm9Cw.png

Space Pirate tits. Gonna check what GalCiv is up to, but I don't have particularly high expectations. The previous game was worth a single playthrough but was otherwise pretty meh.

so... orions.

Norfleet

GalCiv is not really all that known for its original races, to be fair. Back in one of the GalCivs, they had an entire expansion based around the Green guys having a splinter "Korath" faction that decided that, rather than having slaves, they just wanted to kill everyone, and now the green guys were fighting the black guys in a blatant ripoff of the Ur-Quan doctrinal conflict. Korath even sounds like Kohr-Ah.

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
GalCiv is not really all that known for its original races, to be fair. Back in one of the GalCivs, they had an entire expansion based around the Green guys having a splinter "Korath" faction that decided that, rather than having slaves, they just wanted to kill everyone, and now the green guys were fighting the black guys in a blatant ripoff of the Ur-Quan doctrinal conflict. Korath even sounds like Kohr-Ah.

The bad apemen in GalCiv are called Drengins.

B6zxe1M.png

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
He is talking about the Korath Clan introduced in the expansion for Galciv 2:

This scene stuck in my memory, big white alien straight up presses the gas button and laughs at the faggy alien. Giga based.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Played some Galciv 4 and...nah. Diplomacy is bonkers, the AI wants 3 techs, some resources and my mom while offering like 80 credits. And whenever it presents a somewhat reasonable deal you have to take it immediately, otherwise they will reject the exact same deal if proposed by the player. Systems like crime don't seem particularly interesting, citizens with stats is TERRIBLE MICRO HELL for no good fucking reason and everything you do adds a PERCENTAGE to production/research/wealth. But my biggest issue is with the map generator that seems hardcoded into assfucking the player. Absolutely no planets that aren't tech gated EVER spawn within reasonable distance of earth, meanwhile the AI colonizes everything, no problem. Random tech draw is quite irritating because some techs are clearly OBVIOUSLY meant to be researched first, but then RNG screws you and offers you a bunch of mid game techs instead. Leaders are also fucking weird, a guy has bonuses as governor, you give him a governor job and suddenly he becomes butthurt (-20 "I have to manage things"), like WTF, nigger that's your fucking job! Ideology and executive orders are also very gamey mechanics, even if I actually approve of the later. But ideologies are just fucking nonsensical. "Compassion", "Innovation", "Authority" are simply too abstract to be the foundation of an ideology. Clearly SD devs never played SMAC OR they learned nothing from it. Heck, even the simplistic good vs evil system we had before was still miles ahead of this garbage.

The good part is...the game runs really well? I mean, it looks nice and I had buttery smooth FPS at all times, but then again I never made it into the late game (or mid game, for that matter). I also think the new distinction between colonies and core worlds is a step in the right direction, military technology is MUCH better (no more Laser I, Laser II...) and the flavor text for events is mildly entertaining. I also think the new system for assigning asteroids and shipyards reduced some tedious micro. But for the most part this game doesn't innovate much from previous entries and when it does innovate it's a step into "WTF, why, WHY!?" territory.

Anyway, on to Stellaris (never played it, wish me luck).

Skorpion

Educated
I didnt know Stardock still existed. So this has been in early access on epic only for a year?
Any clue what their roadmap for release is at this point?

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I didnt know Stardock still existed. So this has been in early access on epic only for a year?
Any clue what their roadmap for release is at this point?
No, the version on epic was complete. This new one is basically a remake of Gal Civ IV. People who own it on epic can get this new version for $16 I think

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Wait... not only are they still re-releasing the same games a couple times each, they do it in early access now as well? That's some next level stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom