Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gabriel Knight: 20th Anniversary Edition - remake by Jane Jensen

Keshik

Arcane
BWEVnqwCcAAlyN6.jpg:large

Environment image. Sad to hear they don't have the original audio

Last edited:

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, exactly - they want to test the waters with a remake.

Which, is cool, I guess.... but I hate that we have to do this fucking dance for those fuckers just to get what we really want - a new fucking game. And, of course, you get the sycophantic fans who are happy that they get any kind of crumb from the great and mighty above... when those companies should be thanking you for wanting products they have!!!!

It's fucking bullshit on Activision's part, and it sucks, but that's business, I suppose. I just hate that the carrot of these beloved Sierra franchises are dangled in front of fans, some of who would pay loads of money for a turd in a box labeled "Sierra Quest Game".

Bt

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Source of that image (one of them, anyway): http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/8/48...ke-2014-jane-jensen-pinkerton-road-activision

Jane Jensen remaking Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers in 2014
By Samit Sarkar on Oct 08, 2013 at 12:58p @SamitSarkar

Game designer Jane Jensen is remaking Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers with a 20th Anniversary Edition scheduled for release in 2014 on Windows PC, Mac and iPad, she announced today on Twitter.

The classic point-and-click adventure game, which Jensen originally developed at Sierra OnLine, was released in December 1993 on Windows, Mac and MS-DOS. She and her indie studio, Pinkerton Road, are partnering with Activision — which, as the former parent company of the now-defunct Sierra, owns the Gabriel Knight rights — for the 20th Anniversary Edition.

"My indie studio, Pinkerton Road, is licensing the game from Activision and developing it ourselves. We're not crowdfunding the project," said Jensen in aninterview with Side Mission. The Sins of the Fathers remake will feature updated art and high-definition graphics but will remain a 2D adventure game, although Pinkerton Road is tweaking the gameplay for the iPad version.

"We really felt Sins of the Fathers needed to stay true to the original story and gameplay, both for reasons of nostalgia but also because it worked," said Jensen. "We are adding in a few new things here and there, but I wanted the original to be fully represented."

Unfortunately, the game's voice acting, which featured Hollywood actors such as Tim Curry, won't appear in the remake — Jensen told Side Mission that the original audio files aren't available, and they were "pretty compressed" anyway. In addition, it would have been too expensive to re-hire the actors 20 years later. The remake's voice acting will be done by Bay Area Sound, and Pinkerton Road is also including a re-recorded version of Sins of the Fathers' original score.

Jensen added that Pinkerton Road's existing agreement with Activision is only for the first Gabriel Knight game, but said she hopes the 20th Anniversary Edition will be successful enough to convince the publisher to "relaunch and rejuvenate the series" and "persuade Activision to allow us to do a new [Gabriel Knight] game."

You can see the first image of the 20th Anniversary Edition of Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers below.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
To be honest, Sins of the Fathers is pretty perfect the way it is, I never felt a remake of any sort was necessary. As Jane pointed out however, it's a mere attempt to evaluate the financial viability of a potential sequel, so crossing fingers it turns out to be a success for Pinkerton Road regardless.

Last edited:

Stabwound

Arcane
Fucking diarrhea. I refuse to acknowledge that this remake exists.

Unfortunately, the game's voice acting, which featured Hollywood actors such as Tim Curry, won't appear in the remake — Jensen told Side Mission that the original audio files aren't available, and they were "pretty compressed" anyway. In addition, it would have been too expensive to re-hire the actors 20 years later. The remake's voice acting will be done by Bay Area Sound, and Pinkerton Road is also including a re-recorded version of Sins of the Fathers' original score.
No, just no. Fuck you and fuck this. GK without Tim Curry isn't GK. The guy who played Gabe in GK2 did a passable job, but he was certainly no GK1/3 Gabe.

GK1 is a masterpiece. I would have been elated if they remade GK2 or 3 in GK1 style, and I could have even forgiven the lack of Tim Curry, but no. Fuck this shit. Do not want.

If this lets a GK4 come to fruition, then maybe it will have served some kind of positive purpose, but this is just unneeded. It would be like a Star Wars remake with Justin Bieber playing Luke Skywalker.

Stabwound

Arcane
On the (admittedly) plus side, some of the new backgrounds look pretty good, although some look shitty:

gk1-original-cemetary.jpg

gk20th-stlouiscemetery.jpg

Name

Cipher
I'm worried because Phoenix Online's Coginition still has a lot of funny animation bugs and frustrating latency from animation, loading, dialogue, etc.

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Can't imagine this remake will revive the series, after POStudios & Caesar Bittar get through with it.

Interesting that the press release characterizes it as "licensed from Activision" -- it had sounded like the publisher was a bit more involved in previous updates.

Stabwound

Arcane
It would be like a Star Wars remake with Justin Bieber playing Luke Skywalker.

Except it's, you know, nothing like that in any way.
Gabriel Knight is Tim Curry. Luke Skywalker is Mark Hamill. Those characters being played by anyone else is bullshit, and I can only give a pass to GK2 because they needed a live action actor to play him.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I think "GK IS TIM CURRY" is a statement largely rooted in nostalgia or fear of change. While I appreciated the fun Southern drawl I can also totally see the voice being recast effectively.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
To be honest, Sins of the Fathers is pretty perfect the way it is, I never felt a remake of any sort was necessary. As Jane pointed out however, it's a mere attempt to evaluate the financial viability of a potential sequel
Honestly I'm fucking sick and tired of hearing this all the time. Al Lowe gave the same excuse for remaking the remake of LSL1. This of course completely disregards one very very simple fact: those of us who played the original, who still have the original, have no fucking reason to pay for the remake. And therefore the sales of the remake will be much lower than they would be if it were a new game.... and then of course this can be used as justification for "market is too small no sequel for you", leading to inevitable guilt-tripping owners of the game to buy it again so maybe just maybe we will one day in an alternate future see a proper sequel.

I wish Jane Jensen all the best, but I will have no part in this. Chris Jones didn't need to remake the remake of Mean Streets to test the waters before giving us a porper new Tex Murphy, I don't see why the Sierra folks, who moved more copies than Access could dream of, need to drag us through all this crap before giving us the games we've been begging for for 15 years. At least Crowe & Murphy didn't have to go through all this remake stuff (though I wonder if they would have if they'd gotten the Space Quest rights... maybe it is a good thing they didn't) and are making a brand new game, even if I'm not 100% satisfied with all their decisions.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom