Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fuck That Shit (replaying MotB instead).

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
did you memorize the new spells?

Is this not done by resting? My question here might be stupider, but it's been a long time since I've played this thing.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, goddammit. I thought I spammed every key on the damn keyboard looking for an answer to this question (before I inevitably had to suck it up and look like an idiot here).

Shadenuat

Arcane
Also, is she a shit companion anyway and maybe I should just go get Okku back and not worry about her at all?
She's intelligent, pragmatic, funny. However, her relationship with male protagonist is somewhat freaky.
Also her influence ability gives her one of the most overpowered feats - improved Empower Spell. Also, she is very handy with her Persistent Haste spell - saves time walking.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
did you memorize the new spells?

Is this not done by resting? My question here might be stupider, but it's been a long time since I've played this thing.
You have to go to her spell book (hotkey: "B") and manually memorize the new spell (switching them for the ones she has memorized now) - then after resting the new spell setup will appear in the quick cast menu. Duh.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
However, her relationship with male protagonist is somewhat freaky.

Christ.

Man, how many percocets was I on that I do not remember this goddamn game? I know I made it to "Nightshore" before I stopped (for reasons I don't remember).

Hehe. Yeah, see...other than just playing SoZ I haven't touched these games (or any similar) since MotB came out.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
MotB is an amazing game. Who knows, maybe I'd be part of the Obsidian hater crowd if it wasn't for MotB. I'm not crazy about any other of their titles, but in my book they have earned their status as the good guys by pulling something off like MotB, in 2007 at that, when decline was already hitting full throttle.

Shadenuat

Arcane
These retards at Obsidian forum hate Vancian system
So how do I memorise spells in NWN2?

:lol:

I think famous idea about companion being fascinated with protagonist was a bit overdone with Safiya. She's a nice lass if you're into college teen teacher and tatoes, but
She's basically and afterthought of her own parent in a form of homunculus (?) who herself us hundreds of years old, which reminds me of Neon Genesis Evangelion :retarded:

Malpercio

Arcane
Image if Bioware had written Kaelyn.

She would have spent 3/4 of the story crying about her sad past and sucking the protagonist cock.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Also, is she a shit companion anyway and maybe I should just go get Okku back and not worry about her at all?
She's a wizard. A transmuter. A red Wizard of Thay. Those get +5DC to all spells of the chosen school, also +5 caster level. that means she rocks surpreme with transmutation spells like Disintegrate. That also means she can craft shit that requires CL 30 already at char level 25 (only transmutation like bulls strength etc). She is a pretty strong companion and certainly outperfoms Okku by a large margin. Now that you've discovered the existence of a wizards spellbook , I suggest to make an effort to actually complete her somewhat empty spellbook with more useful and important spells.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
She is a pretty strong companion and certainly outperfoms Okku by a large margin.

Bummer. I really wanted to keep that motherfucker.

I suggest to make an effort to actually complete her somewhat empty spellbook with more useful and important spells.

Well, yes. This is why I was wondering if her slots were indeed limited and which screen allowed me to build and switch. I suppose I could have READ THE FUCKING MANUAL but I didn't.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Kaelyn has daddy issues.
I think there's even some restored content where her dad comes down from Celestia and kicks your ass if you're too much a bad guy.

Bummer. I really wanted to keep that motherfucker.
Well noone forces you not to. Or are you that found of Gann?

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Well noone forces you not to. Or are you that found of Gann?

I like his spell selections and enjoy having the option of multiple healers in the party. I'll probably do some switching, of course. Was just hoping to find out that Okku was more badass than I thought (though I do love how frequently successful his knock-down is).

Captain Shrek

She's intelligent, pragmatic, funny. However, her relationship with male protagonist is somewhat freaky.
Also her influence ability gives her one of the most overpowered feats - improved Empower Spell. Also, she is very handy with her Persistent Haste spell - saves time walking.
To be honest, I thought that NWN2 companions were NOT fleshed out. They had a lot of potential:

Okku with his slumber and lack of connection with the present. His anxiety of not fulfilling his promise. i.e His tie to the mortal world.

Safiya with her ability to sense danger and feeling of being tied to the voices.

Gann's ties to his parents identities.

(Never played one of the Many)

Araman's regret.

Kaelyn's dilemma.

PC's bound fate to the sword (WTF. Some of the best end game voiceovers)

These ideas never really got the treatment they deserved. I don't think that they were left to us to experience but rather that they got cut short. This would have made the game a hundred fold better if written in.

Statik

Educated
I think the NWN2 companions and particularly the design philosophy that went into them, will remain, for all of time, not merely awful, but inexplicably awful
The total, perfect and unsurpassed genericness of the OC companions fascinates me.

Khelgar - Dwarf who likes to fight
The tiefling - Rogue who likes to steal
Elanee - Elf who likes nature (also forced stalker romance)
Shandra - Peaceful peasant forced into adventure when her home is destroyed by monsters
The gnome - loltehrandom and funneh gnome comic relief who is a bard
Bishop - lol I'm evil lol
Zhjfgsfds - Yo dawg I herd you liekd Dak'kon, so here's another githzerai, except that this one has no personality and is fucking annoying trololololknowknowknow
etc.

I'm surprised that having this enormous density of cliches cramped together into just one single game didn't create some sort of black hole of banality. Ammon Jerro was a bro, though. Him and Sand were pretty much the only decent characters in the whole party.

Shadenuat

Arcane
To be honest, I thought that NWN2 companions were NOT fleshed out. They had a lot of potential

Game was just too short. It felt like a rush after Thay academy. Here you are wondering what's happening and trying to learn the history, and suddenly you are storming gates of other Plane. It was understandable, however, as it's just an add-on.
Also, Kaelyn's story seem to overshadow everything (at least it did for me). Her goal is just so big, so ultimate, and tied to the plot so strongly, that lazy bear, girl with voices and... uh.. Gann.. they accept "happy ending" just a bit too quickly.

Seriously, if there was anything I ever wanted to do in CRPG which I was't able to, that would be to go all-Trias The Betrayer on Kelemvor. Probably why evil ending in MoB is the most satisfying.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Obviously protagonist's narrative is the main turning wheel, but when I was presented with idea of survival which was going on behind my back for a few hundreds of years using some fictional (i.e. I did't have any part in creating that story, my character was like a shell for some guy back from the past) person, and a real acting person who is right here, right now is struggling with idea of justice, I've grown interest in the latter.
As for the Planes metaphysics, I don't really buy it. I know Planescape setting well enough from old books, and it's the world where ideas clash and transform. I always thought that primer without strict belief would end up somewhere around Great Circle to travel and learn his own Havens and Hell, not get stuck into some construct created by puny evil God.
I know Wall was mentioned in some of the rulebooks and probably is an old concept, I'm just not into that stuff.

Forgotten Realms guys are losers to be puppets of death that way, hehe. Name of their world sticks to them.

A lot of pseudo intellectual faggots like to use the word Deconstruction to describe what MCA does

I think he plays Planescape like it should be played. It's a world of infinite ideas. Ideas exist to be challenged.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom