Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News FTL to get free "Advanced Edition" update, with Chris Avellone writing!

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
FTL defending its title as the Kickstarter project which, to this point, delivered the most.
battle worlds kronos called

himmy

Arcane
FTL defending its title as the Kickstarter project which, to this point, delivered the most.
battle worlds kronos called

Oh come one, it was released a week ago. Not fair. Also, it is yet to announce an MCA collaboration (despite the fact that I understand the story is in desperate need of any sort of competent writer, really).

Awakened_Yeti

Arcane
Developer
My problem with FTL was one of balance. I loved the game concept and execution, except for the fact that there was always the pressure of FORWARDFORWARDSCHNELLSCHNELL which meant on-the-fly decisions, which while often delivered me to the end game also meant that I was rarely, if ever, ready for the endboss. In fact, the best results I got to gear up for the endboss involved killing EVERYTHING I encounterd. The salvage from my defeated enemies was more than enough to keep me going, and it was on one such run that I got the farthest to beating the end boss. Trying to be a pacifist Federashun-style captain could net me good crew members, but rarely enough weapons and shields to survive for long.

I hope that this update addresses the balance issue, at least, making more builds and playstyles viable.

You have to strategize more - the game isnt unbalanced you just played it incorrectly... basically you have to zig-zag through sectors, trying to maximize your number of encounters and staying just on the edge of the advancing rebel fleet (and sometimes they may catch up with you). If you do that you can easily build up a formidable ship, I smashed the end guy on normal mode with a drone-based donut ship during one playthrough.. it wasnt "too easy" to kill him but it wasnt hard. But yeh, you really have to be supremely powered up before you take it on.

Bulba

Learned
awesome game. got kind of boring after 100+ runs. some new content is exactly what the game needs... don't quite understand why they are making it free.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
awesome game. got kind of boring after 100+ runs. some new content is exactly what the game needs... don't quite understand why they are making it free.

What I didn't mention in OP is that they're also releasing the AE on iPad. I guess they're expecting to get most of the money from there. The PC update is just a bonus (and maybe a way to attract new buyers). It's like a CD Projekt Enhanced Edition.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
What writing? I don't remember any text in FTL other than a "start new game" menu...

keppj0nes

Educated
The annoying thing about FTL is you can have any entire playthrough where you get no text. It seems really dumbed down at first glance. Adding text and other things with the help of Chris Avellone could really help the game but it has other balance problems. I wish the game had a free roaming mode similar to Escape Velocity:Nova. Everything about EV:Nova makes FTL look more and more like it's stuck in the dumb-simple-indie-game-fad that's going on now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom