Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FTL: Faster Than Light - Advanced Edition

Mortmal

Arcane
Godamnit.. roguelikes are moved to general gaming now..
Seems oldschool enough to me and to those who dont know what sundog is:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Godamnit.. roguelikes are moved to general gaming now.

Yeah GRPG Discussion is full of morons, both the posters and mods. I don't even bother posting RPG stuff there any more and rarely browse it. Let it be filled with Diablo and Skyrim till it rots away to nothing. :obviously: posters recognize a quality game when they see it. Added this to me list of awaited games.

MisterStone

Arcane
How about someone put this f'ing thread back where it belongs. Surely the people going on about Diablo and Kingdom of Anal-lore etc can stand to have this next to their precious thread. :rpgcodex:

Mortmal

Arcane
Its kinda like when AOD combat demo was released, some reviewer said it was medocre cause torchlight was doing it much more better! Same with this teaser video, it show only the real time action, someone saw it, diddnt even bother to read any info about it thought it was a shooter and moved the thread..
And yet theres ton of info to be found about the game, but it requires effort.. well if the someone prefer to keep playing mediocre frua module instead its his choice.

For example it was prereviewed by pc gamer:
http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/ftl-a-game-about-managing-a-spaceship-in-an-infinite-galaxy/

FTL: a game about managing a spaceship in an infinite galaxy

Graham Smithat 04:37pm December 6 2011
Tweet
Comments 44

FTL is “a spaceship simulation real-time roguelike-like”, according to its website. That’s a fair description. You travel a galaxy as a spaceship, encountering random enemies, upgrading and maintaining your systems, re-routing power from life support to shields, and directing your crew to frantically put out fires. Every journey ends with your inevitable death, as your crew is killed from one calamity or another.

I’ve been playing an early build of the game, and it’s amazing. When it comes out in the middle of next year, you should play it because it’s amazing.

To convince you why you should start looking forward to FTL, I’ve written about my experience with the game below. Read on to find out why doors are important in space.

Everything was going great, till I flew too close to the sun.

You have no way of knowing what each new area of space is going to hold before you jump to it. You could warp to a star and be attacked by pirates, or find a distress call from a stranded madman.

I come out of warp and arrive next to a supergiant class M star. Solar flares from the star are going to regularly strike my ship, damaging my systems, a message tells me. If I don’t get out of here quickly, I’ll be destroyed.

My FTL drive needs to recharge after each jump, so I can’t immediately warp away again. I need to survive long enough for the drive to recover. I also need to destroy the enemy currently attacking me.

It’s a small droid ship, impervious to the sun’s heat. I aim my lasers at its shields, take them down, and quickly blow up the ship with a missile to its engines. I’m lucky that it’s a weak enemy, but it managed to hit me once, starting a fire in my engine room.

Each room within the ship represents a different system, and with the engines disabled, my FTL drive won’t even begin to charge. I’m stranded above the supergiant star until I can get the engines back online, but the fire inside the room would kill my crew. It’s often like this; a quick battle, easily won, followed by a panicked and desperate attempt to fix all the problems. Your spaceship always feels fragile; a real tin can, floating in space.

You don’t need crew to open and close doors, and nothing puts out fires quicker than the vacuum of space. I remotely open two blast doors at the rear of my ship, extinguishing the fire instantly as all the oxygen is sucked from the rooms. If I can now get my crew members in there, they’ll be able to quickly repair the engine

Which is when a solar flare hits me. The flares do general damage across the entire ship, and I’m now on fire in two empty rooms, weapons and… And the room that contains the systems for opening and closing doors remotely. My engines are no longer on fire, but the doors inside the engine room are still open. No crew member can go in there to fix the still-broken engine without suffocating.

I tell two crew members, Jack and Gracie, to scramble through burning rooms to reach the door subsystem. They’re quick to repair it, and I got the doors closed. Just in time for another flare to hit.

Now more than half my ship is on fire. Shields are down, sickbay is burning, life support is down.

Shit. The life support system is what generates oxygen on your ship, and all the air is now slowly draining from every room. It also means that the oxygen was never fully replenished inside the engine room after I closed the doors. Going inside the engine room still means almost certain death.

I sent all three of my crewmembers in to the room anyway. Another solar flare would destroy the entire ship for sure, so there was no time to fix the life support and wait for the oxygen to replenish. We had nothing to lose.

Jack, Gracie, and pilot Kirby went inside and began to repair the engine. All of their health bars were ticking down from asphyxiation.

Jack died first, already hurt from the fires still spreading through the rest of the ship.

Gracie died next, just as my engine turned from red to orange. It was still only half fixed. “SOLAR FLARE IMMINENT” flashed on screen.

Kirby, my ship’s pilot, was the last man standing. He’d avoided the flames by remaining on the bridge, and he got the engine operational again.

Another solar flare hit, and my ship exploded.

This is just one encounter, and it could have gone a dozen different ways. This is only the first playable build of the game, too, with lots more still to be added. FTL is due for release in the middle of 2012, and will cost between $5 and $10. Keep an eye on the official FTL site for more information.

Mortmal

Arcane
You remmber FTL ? that space roguelike kickstarter project, i posted about a while ago, and was savagely moved to general gaming by careless mods...
For the lazy a link to remember: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/64409699/ftl-faster-than-light

Now you can experience its gameplay. Only problem is you need to register on onlive and its limited to 30 min .
Manage your crew send them to repair, upgrade your ship, and explore , it sounds like really promising.

Mortmal

Arcane
yeah but its worth the hassle, you can desinstall it and burn your harddrive after.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Nah, I don't think my connection can handle it, guess I'll have to wait for a proper demo, it looks worth the wait anyway.

MCA
What kind of fucked up shit is this, a kickstarter project using one of the shittiest and most exlcusive services (US & UK only) for their demo and then asking for money for the full version? Are you fucking kidding me?

MisterStone

Arcane
Bunch of spazzie little bitches on this site.

Played it for about 15 mins, seems like a lot of fun. Onlive sucks, but it's a demo so I don't really give a fuck. It's worth funding IMHO.

MisterStone

Arcane
Btw, from the dev's site:

Big news times three!
FTL Demo Available!
OnLive asked us to take part in their Indie Showcase, which is an event where the public can try a number of IGF Nominees and Honorable Mentions. It lasts two weeks starting February 27th to coincide with the festival itself. If you sign up for a free OnLive account you can try an alpha demo of FTL right now! Go to the OnLive site or their Facebook page to get started!

They did this on Onlive because they were given a chance to host the demo as part of an event, it's not like this is their strategy for release or something. But please, keep whining.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
There is no way I am going to sign up for Onlive or play through Onlive's facebook page.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
At first I thought "onlive" was a hilarious typo :D
well it's a mistake of another kind... harr harr.

FTL does look pretty good. Hope they release a normal demo.

Just saw an article about this in PC Gamer and wondered 'huh, when are they putting a demo out'. Perfect timing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom