Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FTL: Faster Than Light - Advanced Edition

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Got a crew all set to invade, maim and murder their way through any ship with a crew. Now all I need is a fucking teleporter and none to be found. Sector after sector of barely making it through and no teleporter. Argh.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Looks like I didn't make it after all, 3rd form of fleet ship got me. Sucked not being able to repair between 2nd and 3rd form. Wonder what would have worked best vs. the missiles.
vrr76c.jpg

Shadenuat

Arcane
I crashed ~12 ships so far.

- I reach boss with powerful lasers (Kestrel, Kestrel B)
He hacks my weapons or shields, I die
- I reach boss in stealth ship
He hacks my stealth device, I die
- I reach boss with ion and missiles on Rock ship
Just die
- I reach boss with artillery beam ship and fuckton of bombs and missiles, get boss to like 2 bars of hp
I run out of missiles, I die

:negative:

on easy

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Hack the hacking device. (unless it hacked something useless anyways.)

Hacking upgrade is seriously one of the best you can get. The benefits are immense.

Modron

Arcane
Did they patch the boss back to vanilla configuration or was having the two innermost weapon stations connected to the main body a hard only feature? With that separate chambers layout i always prioritized the missile launcher first.

In agreement with Damned on the hacking upgrade, been forgoing teleportation for it; cloaking + hacking, pretty much immortal even when the game's rng only gives you shitty weapons.

Renegen

Arcane
I agree, an alternative to teleportation now is hacking. With it alone you can bring down 4 shields and then have some fun.

I've been trying out a ton of weapons with each new run, sometimes resulting in my demise. My favourite run was one where my hacking device would disable the shields and then I followed it up with a Fire Beam, you wouldn't believe the damage. I think it was on the Zoltan B. 2 Ions, a Glaive beam (?) and a Fire Beam, cleanest win ever. The worst win was my last one, I had first failed with the Zoltan C by using the Chain Ion (the one that does 1 more damage each shot, complete shit), and this run all I had found was a Charge Ion, a Chain Burst and a Combat Drone 1 I bought at the last second. Flooding their ship with corpses of my crewmembers probably helped too. What a crappy ship the Zoltan C is, never touching it again.

A strategy that I think can work is Clone Bays 3, Teleporter 3 and 4 expendables that are continuously rotated. I'll have to try that one out. Normals really is too much though, it's like being on a conveyer belt and waiting for the RNG to bless you, it feels like such a fundamental different experience from playing easy.

JoKa

Cipher
Looks like I didn't make it after all, 3rd form of fleet ship got me. Sucked not being able to repair between 2nd and 3rd form. Wonder what would have worked best vs. the missiles.
vrr76c.jpg
The problem I'm seeing here is that you killed all enemy crew and so the A.I. is controlling the ship. leave the one controlling the left weapon (lasers?) alive and destroy the rockets which won't be repaired if there's still crew left (A.I. = auto-repair all rooms). This worked before the AE at least...

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Flagship isn't that different from before. The main differences are the weapons rooms being connected to the rest of the ship and the mind control but they are easy to deal with. Just as in vanilla trying to keep one crewmember alive to not enable the AI isn't as important as the general opinion makes it up to be. Sure it's nice to not have the rooms repair themselves but it's still rather slow and you can still deal good damage to it.

If you ask me the main problem I see in that screen is that you have only 2 power bars in your engines while your piloting is upgraded to 3. Low engines mean you have low evasion, which is very important throughout the game and critical on the flagship fight, and the piloting upgrades aren't too hot even after being buffed in the AE. I'd take upgrades in piloting only for some damage buffer so it wouldn't be instantly disabled by damage but that'd come after 50% of evasion and 3 layers of shields.

PocketMine

Savant
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Wonder what would have worked best vs. the missiles.

Best against missiles is to engage cloaking device when flagship launches missiles at you. Downside is flagship missile launcher recharges faster then cloaking device. I usualy disable launcher before it recharges by teleporting boarding crew into missile system right at start. (this does not work on Hard)

High evasion rate is best in general. Have atleast 5 engine bars + experienced pilot/engine crew before facing flagship.

Defence drone is good too. I prefer MK I against flagship. MKII targets other projectiles and while faster then MKI is not fast enough to shoot down more then one of 3 missiles.

Torrasque01

Augur
One thing that I didn't know about AI ships(including the last boss) until very recently is that they can't deal with breaches. It just stops repairs in that room permanently.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Thanks PocketMine , Gragt and JoKa for the tips, on a side note, I did not kill all the enemy crew though, it's just that my scanner is broken and I cannot see the enemy personnel :negative:

Going to try with Rock Cruiser next, as I unlocked it in my last run.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I just beat the Flagship for the first time. I was using the Red-Tail, the Kestrel Cruiser B Type. Shit was intense.

Sad too. I was so caught up in the moment that I forgot to beam back my two Mantis boarders before the ship blew up.

Their names were not mentioned in the crew roster at the end.

True heroes are always forgotten. :negative:

And the Type C Federation Cruiser looks pretty shitty. I hate Clone Bays.

Last edited:

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I AM UP TO WINNING MOST OF MY TRIES NOW ONE EASYBROSN KESTREL AND ENGI SHIP AND ZOLTAN

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin

Clone bays aren't so bad. I prefer the med bay but the clone bay is a decent alternative. If anything it lets you try some events where you risk losing a crew member. The experience loss is rather light so as long as you don't keep killing them it shouldn't come into effect. I wouldn't spend the scrap to replace the clone bay with a med bay and vice-versa but if you really hate it you may want to do that.

dehimos

Augur

Clone bays aren't so bad. I prefer the med bay but the clone bay is a decent alternative. If anything it lets you try some events where you risk losing a crew member. The experience loss is rather light so as long as you don't keep killing them it shouldn't come into effect. I wouldn't spend the scrap to replace the clone bay with a med bay and vice-versa but if you really hate it you may want to do that.

The type C is shit, but the clone bay is necessary. The trick is to kick the mantis, wait his death, clone and repeat.

The lower lives don't matter, only zoltan race.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
So I managed to beat the flagship in AE. Unfortunately, I used the red-tail and the only expansion content I actually used was the healing tellyporta. Other than that I just had a small bomb and burst lasers mk 1-3.

And In regards to clone bays, I agree I'd rather have a medbay, but not enough to ever pay for it.

JoKa

Cipher
I seem to never get many of those new weapons. last run I got one vulcan cannon and ripped the flagship apart with the lanius cruiser, but having a flak cannon or something would've been much easier. must be bad luck.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Hm, I thought you only got the Federation cruiser after beating the flagship.. I'm doing a play now with the Rock ship, it's going somewhat okay. Got an advanced FTL for free along the way, it seems a little bit OP, because you can always jump straight to a shop or to the exit once you passed those points earlier on.

Renegen

Arcane
I think the Federation Type C is actually really really good. Just beat the game on easy and normal with it and learned enough for a possible hard run. In some ways it's better than a Mantis type B, for example against AI ships. You send your boarding crew to destroy their systems and it doesn't matter that they suffocate to death, Clone Bays OP.

Last edited:

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Hm, I thought you only got the Federation cruiser after beating the flagship.. I'm doing a play now with the Rock ship, it's going somewhat okay. Got an advanced FTL for free along the way, it seems a little bit OP, because you can always jump straight to a shop or to the exit once you passed those points earlier on.

Sorry, Kestrel cruiser.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Nowadays you get it for beating prototype flagship in rebel homesector I think.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom