Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Frostpunk 2 - Long Live The Oil - coming July 25th

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If all of this is as sandboxy as it should be it might actually be quite a solid improvement on the first game
Depends who you ask, definitely not for me. I'm not much of a sandbox person, never really enjoyed stuff like Skylines or Minecraft or some such - i.e. here's a bunch of toys and make your own fun. I've always preferred more structured, goal-based gameplay like Settlers or Anno. Absolutely loved the survivalist, rogue-like twist in Frostpunk 1.

F1 is in my Top10 of the last decade, F2 is my most anticipated game rn and if they actually plan to abandon what made the first game so unique and go for a more traditional sandboxy city building my face's gonna be tired and sad.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If the gameplay trailer is just around the corner why not fucking release it instead of a few second clip showing a glorified screenshot of the fucking city?
We live in the age of teasers for teasers for trailers and announcement dates for announcement dates for announcement dates.

It's all a bit insane.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
All these years have passed and I still laugh when I remember the first moral decision you make in the game.

Sending children to work (Nooo, children should learn, not work!).

Imagine this being a controvesial moral choice in an industrial revolution britbong all-hands-on-deck apocalypse setting.

Last edited:

axx

Savant
Sending children to work should be enabled in all games. They lack discipline.

Nirvash

Liturgist
Yes, sending the childrens to work... out in the polar cold, doing hazard jobs with barely any supervision of safety, truly a no brainer choice i guess.

-M-

Educated
Nothing sells a game more than nonstop incessant whining into your ear about how bad you're doing.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Considering they did the same with the marketing of the first game my bar was already set low for the "gameplay" trailer for the sequel.

Only thing it revealed is that there is some kind of heat conduits, which might be built automatically without player input when a district is laid down. Everything else was already explained in more detail in the pcgamer shill piece based on the gamescon presentation.

I'll wait for more previews/shill pieces that reveal something about the changes they made to the gameplay, especially the district system and how oil factors into the game.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I just really fucking hope they aren't gonna strip most of the survival elements of the game in favour of massively boosting the political management aspect of F1.

If my main concern is with passing laws and managing people's morale instead of mining resources and managing heat/food, I'm out.

-M-

Educated

Been watching a good amount of the beta. Very different game from the original. Survival and city building seem to take backseat to politics and exploration. You zone districts instead of placing individual buildings. Time ticks by in days instead of minutes. There is no night time or heat map (temperature is in a small font in the corner instead of being front and center).

The politics are somewhat interesting. You start with two opposing factions to please: the Foragers (hippies) and the Machinists (industrialists). Eventually more extreme factions splinter off from them: Ice Bloods from Foragers, and Technocrats from Machinists. You make deals and promises to get laws passed (from a 100 member council).

Looks decent, just completely different from the original game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom