Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline free-roaming, nonlinear jrpgs?

aleph

Arcane
As the title says, are there any jrpgs which offer free-roaming, nonlinearity (of any kind) or (I almost don't dare to ask) choices and consequences.

May even combined with tactical battles and decent character customization. Or is this just to much to ask from a jrpg?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
aleph said:
Or is this just to much to ask from a jrpg?

Yes, it is. That's the one thing I've never liked about jrpgs, the pre-determinism. About the only part of the jrpg the designer doesn't know about how the player plays the game is how long they're going to spend level grinding before they decide to go through a plot point in the linear story. I used to level grind quite a bit when I played the GameBoy ones, just so I didn't have to repeat a chunk of the game between save points.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Play Tactics Ogre. It's way better than FF Tactics and you fuckers know it.

Regarding non-linearity, I can only think of Metal Max Returns.

A SNES rpg where you design and build tanks to use when you hunt criminals and go through a rather tedious story whenever you feel like it (read as: whenever you run out of bounties.) Translated by Aeon Genesis.

Non-linearity isn't really big in jRPG-land.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Try Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song. No choices and consequences, but the rest are more-or-less there.

LCJr. said:
I think Tactics: Ogre's branching storyline is about as close as you're going get.
Is that Tactics: Ogre basically the same as the one for the gameboy advance? Since I've played the one for the gameboy, but if that version is different, then hell I'll check it out myself.

Murk

Arcane
the romancing sags (specifically 3) and Dark Law

aleph

Arcane
Jeff Graw said:
The second half of Final Fantasy VI, *duh*.

bah, played FF6 until until that esper chick (gaia or whatever) disappears and got bored with the story and the system. Even if the second half is great, there is no way I'm going to endure the first half again.

I might try Tactics:Ogre or Romancing SaGa: Minstrel song, but judging what I read about them I don't have much hope I will enjoy it.

Murk

Arcane
sportforredneck said:
LCJr. said:
I think Tactics: Ogre's branching storyline is about as close as you're going get.
Is that Tactics: Ogre basically the same as the one for the gameboy advance? Since I've played the one for the gameboy, but if that version is different, then hell I'll check it out myself.

the gba version is like the caffeine free diet version of the snes/ps1 game - different storyline/characters too

the original is much better i'd say, more difficult but better, the game is fairly sophisticated in its system too but i think it tried to do too much at the time and failed to properly implement a lot of the features like the chaos frame

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The second half of chrono trigger and games from the SaGa series are about the only things that fit the bill.

Oh, actually, theres Legend of Mana. It's very non linear with C&C and free roaming. You'll probably hate the atmosphere though. The combat isn't tactical at all though, although there is some character customization in the way you learn skills. Theres also a smithing system so complicated it could be a game unto itself.

aleph

Arcane
mondblut said:
Free-roaming, non-linear jpgs????

You must be joking.

one can always hope that they did not spend the entire last 20 years constantly releasing the same crap.

aleph

Arcane
I thought jrpgs are defined mainly by there art style meaning anime graphics and by being made in japan.

Murk

Arcane
DamnedRegistrations said:
The second half of chrono trigger and games from the SaGa series are about the only things that fit the bill.

Oh, actually, theres Legend of Mana. It's very non linear with C&C and free roaming. You'll probably hate the atmosphere though. The combat isn't tactical at all though, although there is some character customization in the way you learn skills. Theres also a smithing system so complicated it could be a game unto itself.

legend of mana has great atmosphere, i loved the hand drawn graphics too - same reason why i'm smitten with saga frontier 2, both games have deliciously beautiful graphics

It's not exactly free-roaming, but SMT3: Nocturne does have a few choices and consequences. Basically, there are 6 different endings and the choices you make at points in the story determine which you're going to get. It also has probably the best turn based combat of any jRPG lately, and can be pretty difficult at times. Easily my favorite jRPG.

I'll also second Tactics Ogre. It's ten times better than FFT and plays pretty well.

Murk

Arcane
while i'd say fft had better combat and more fun classes (and in those games' case combat is everything) i will definitely support playing tactics ogre to anyone who remotely enjoys tactical rpgs with turn based goodness

game had a lot of secrets too

LCJr.

Erudite
Mikayel said:
while i'd say fft had better combat and more fun classes (and in those games' case combat is everything) i will definitely support playing tactics ogre to anyone who remotely enjoys tactical rpgs with turn based goodness

game had a lot of secrets too

I was a little surprised by the story and some of the choices you could make. Guess I was expecting a kiddie game.

Murk

Arcane
LCJr. said:
I was a little surprised by the story and some of the choices you could make. Guess I was expecting a kiddie game.

the game's engine/mechanics were way ahead of its time and the storyline was actually... pretty good. It had some stupid moments like "oh man their swords are totally bigger than ours!" but eh, minor issue to deal with, especially since something as simple as not equipping weapons could lead you to avoid a battle and make allies with some factions.

it also has the biggest kind of consequence possible - permanent death. resurrection spells are so late game that you can't really depend on them, and battles are challenging enough (unless you super grind) that often enough you just gotta suck it up and say "Vulkar fought long and hard, he shall be missed" and hire a new soldier later on.

the idea of sacrificing your own soldiers for the Dragon-Snap, lich, and necro spells were pretty rad too.

Kavax

Scholar
Call me an advertiser, but the last episode of the freeware jRPG "The Way" puts you in a BIG city where you can do a lot of stuff (Including joining mutually exclusive factions) there's even some choice and consequence.

Norfleet

Joining ONE of the mutually exclusive factions or joining all of them? Because that doesn't sound very mutually exclusive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom