Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fox News = PHA1L

Apollion

Scholar
I've always been annoyed by the ridiculous stigma so many ultra conservatives have attached to environmentalism in all forms, sure the libs and green hippy types take the entire thing a bit far, but is this sort of reprisal from conservatives at all necessary?

They are right though despite their overreaction, people who think video games have no influence on the minds of the people who play them, especially children, are fooling themselves just as much as the wacko ultra conservatives who think environmentalism is any danger to an industrialized society.

Not that the influence video games have should be noticeable to any great degree, at least not when contrasted with all the other media forms we're saturated with on a daily basis.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
fox news complaining about brainwashing? made me smirk for a second.

Baron

Arcane
It's inconceiveable, but it's almost as if they're learning how to troll for the site hits...

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Environmental problems poses a mental challenge to free-market fanatics since they are problems that the market cannot fix by itself.

Their free market position commits them to doing nothing, but only an idiot would stand by and watch the world we live in be messed up while doing nothing, and this causes cognitive dissonance. The only way to reconcile these conflicting thoughts is to deny that there are any environmental problems in the first place. Once they have convinced themselves that there is no threat to the environment, it becomes natural to assume that the environmentalists are either complete idiots harping about a nonexistent problem, or that they have some hidden agenda.

Repressed Homosexual
I was about to post this the other day.

I agree with the core of their argument. Many game makers are blatant liberals using their game to push their agenda, while masking it as innocent entertainment for children.

It wouldn't be bad at all as creators have a right to express themselves however they please... so long as they would be honest with what they're doing. Until they are, you'll have outlets ignorant about games like Fox News putting poor reports about those games because no one else brings it up.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Humanity has risen! said:
I was about to post this the other day.

I agree with the core of their argument. Many game makers are blatant liberals using their game to push their agenda, while masking it as innocent entertainment for children.

It wouldn't be bad at all as creators have a right to express themselves however they please... so long as they would be honest with what they're doing. Until they are, you'll have outlets ignorant about games like Fox News putting poor reports about those games because no one else brings it up.
3/10

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Since when is enviornmentalism a bad thing? Did I miss the memo? Is safe disposal of waste, energy efficiency and responsible treatment of nature and wildlife something equivalent to 1950s era communism?

Repressed Homosexual
It is when such methods are based on fraud, such as human made global warming. A vast amount of "environmentalist" movements really are just consortiums of scientists trying all they can to keep their grants going perpetually.

Most recycling also wastes more energy than it is spared.

Phelot

Arcane
OH MY GAWD WHEN WILL MAINSTREAM SOCIETY STOP OPPRESSING MY VIDEO GAYMES!

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Humanity has risen! said:
It is when such methods are based on fraud, such as human made global warming. A vast amount of "environmentalist" movements really are just consortiums of scientists trying all they can to keep their grants going perpetually.

Most recycling also wastes more energy than it is spared.
Bullshit.

You just want a dystopian future so you can go around wearing a cool trenchcoat.

Renegen

Arcane
I think what Fox News means by "brainwashing" is just another point of view than their own that may reach the general public. Brainwashing precisely is about restricting what people know, it's not about lying but about controlling the information you provide and when. It's sort of like PR a bit. So anytime that information is getting out outside of their control, like in, oh horror, video games, then they call it brainwashing. Plus a lot of the time, pollution in video games doesn't take a stand, it simply gives pros and cons, like say in Civilizations.

Ideas should be allowed to compete against themselves freely, I really don't see why some people take it so seriously when a different point of view is expressed. And whether you want to believe it or not, the environment is finite.

Peter

Arcane
I love how they resort to calling the games boring and whatnot in the end. Consoletards cannot into strategy and city management :obviously:

TripJack

Hedonist
there is a game where you control flower petals? oh man i know i should have gotten a ps3

deuxhero

Arcane
sea said:
Since when is enviornmentalism a bad thing? Did I miss the memo? Is safe disposal of waste, energy efficiency and responsible treatment of nature and wildlife something equivalent to 1950s era communism?

Enviromentalism has always been a method to covertly attack capitalism. Check the movements leaders, all died in red (blue?) commies.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Guys. Are we really going to let Arcturus seriously say "PHA1L" in a thread title?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
sea said:
Short answer: Americans are insane.

Long answer: At least the top 1% must die.

TripJack

Hedonist
ranceA.png

ranceB.png

Random

Arcane
Patron
Vaarna_Aarne said:
sea said:
Short answer: Americans are insane.

Long answer: At least the top 1% must die.

Oh yes, there is much insanity to go around down here. Hell, my mother has no problem with polygamy, my neighbor believes that all of humanity is telepathic and shares some sort of collective unconscious, my neighbor's cousin thinks computers are fucking magic because "how does a bunch of pieces of metal make the stuff that comes out on a screen?", my aunt and uncle are unbelievably racist, my grandmother complains about having to walk from her computer to the kitchen to make herself a meal, the people around me are obsessed with pointless endeavors such as love (fuck that shit), Republicans who claim to be Christians are the least Christian people I know, Democrats who are actually on the right track are too much of assholes about it all that they alienate the general republic, our system of government FORCES US TO PICK A SIDE TO VOTE, we're using a system of government designed TWO HUNDRED YEARS AGO to try to deal with modern issues that require a much faster response than the traditional Congress + Supreme Court approach, I myself hate people in general for existing and bothering me from doing the things I enjoy such as roaming the internet and watching animu, I love thinking about killing myself, I asldfkjawoiegjg09u329r8rhwejfkdmscJO@w3u8awoiejfaskdl

:patriot:

Apollion

Scholar
Random said:
Oh yes, there is much insanity to go around down here. Hell, my mother has no problem with polygamy, my neighbor believes that all of humanity is telepathic and shares some sort of collective unconscious, my neighbor's cousin thinks computers are fucking magic because "how does a bunch of pieces of metal make the stuff that comes out on a screen?", my aunt and uncle are unbelievably racist, my grandmother complains about having to walk from her computer to the kitchen to make herself a meal, the people around me are obsessed with pointless endeavors such as love (fuck that shit), Republicans who claim to be Christians are the least Christian people I know, Democrats who are actually on the right track are too much of assholes about it all that they alienate the general republic, our system of government FORCES US TO PICK A SIDE TO VOTE, we're using a system of government designed TWO HUNDRED YEARS AGO to try to deal with modern issues that require a much faster response than the traditional Congress + Supreme Court approach, I myself hate people in general for existing and bothering me from doing the things I enjoy such as roaming the internet and watching animu, I love thinking about killing myself, I asldfkjawoiegjg09u329r8rhwejfkdmscJO@w3u8awoiejfaskdl

:patriot:

:what:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom