Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fox News fighting the good fight

Topher

Cipher
Ruprekt said:
http://video.foxnews.com/v/953126634001/taxpayers-funding-video-game-grants/#/v/954103964001/pint-size-patriot-honors-old-glory/?playlist_id=87937

this station is for real?

Unfortunately.

sea said:
See, this is why games can never be art. This guy says "games are art mkey, it is so obvious they stir emotions in me" because games makes people feel. Assumptiom: Whatever stirs emotion is art. Is this implicit assumption ever discussed? No. Because the entire gamer community is immature and undeveloped, and can't develop nor recognize art for that reason.

Btw, the author is a programmer at http://www.lolapps.com/, a site dedicated to facebook games it seems. FarmVille is art!

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
herostratus said:
See, this is why games can never be art. This guy says "games are art mkey, it is so obvious they stir emotions in me" because games makes people feel. Assumptiom: Whatever stirs emotion is art. Is this implicit assumption ever discussed? No. Because the entire gamer community is immature and undeveloped, and can't develop nor recognize art for that reason.

Btw, the author is a programmer at http://www.lolapps.com/, a site dedicated to facebook games it seems. FarmVille is art!
The point he was trying to get across was that art is subjective, and you can't decide whether or not something is art based upon the standards of another form of expression. Giving credence to the critique of people who have no relation or point of reference to gaming as a medium is pointless, since their word is about as authoritative as mine is with regards to, say, rap music (i.e. not at all).

Furthermore, it's impossible to bring in the idea of art without talking about quality. Are games art? I would say they are, in pretty much every circumstance, except where they stray into the realm of craft (for example, a painting designed to serve as mere decoration for a motel hallway isn't something I'd consider art, but craft; its functional value supersedes any artistic considerations or motives, or any value inherent in the world itself - since there likely is very little). Obviously this distinction is somewhat vague, as with anything subjective, but short of games designed for nothing but pure profit, or for malicious purposes - advergames, for instance - I'd say all of them have the right to be considered art of a sort, with respect to the standards of the medium.

Which brings me to the real issue on the table: not that games are art, because I think games, in most cases, have just as much integrity as many other artistic pieces, and they certainly contain more pieces of art than just about any form of media within them (music, game design, visuals, etc.). Does that mean all games, or most games, are good art? Of course not; the art value of most games isn't just poor, it's often overshadowed by the individual pieces of art contained within, i.e. the character design. The days of art being an elite canon are long gone, but that doesn't mean that we aren't able to judge art on other merits.

For me, the real deciding factor comes down to unity of vision and direction; being able to pull off a game that creates a total experience which speaks to the medium's interactivity is probably one of the key deciding factors in whether or not a game is art... which means I think we need to take a fair look at some games we may not normally consider to be art, like, say, Unreal Tournament, or Monkey Island.

Also, what the guy does for a living really has no bearing on the effectiveness of his argument. It's his job, and while I'm sure he feels Facebook games might have at least some artistic integrity (not all of them are Farmville, you know), that's really not relevant to the discussion.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Art may be subjective, but let's not forget that the perception of what is art and what is not can very well be part of the culture you've been raised in.

I am italian, so to me art is likely to be compared against the "classics" (wheter is architecture, painting, sculpture or music, for that matter) things I've been exposed to and walk by almost everyday.

So from my perspective some things are ART in the sense they are expressions of the author which may or may not convey emotions, may or may not resonate with the person exposed to such effort.

Digressing a little, I write some small fantasy stories (started playing by email and liked the idea of crafting charachters and interactions) and what I manage to inspire in the reader is not always what I meant, that is to say, everybody feels differently based on the mood, culture, way of thinking and personal likes, dislikes.

So, what makes art art and what makes a videogame art when the only way to determine if something is art, is to find a common ground between what is perceived as art in a culture and another?

There is no common ground.

So, even historically, art became art for political, economical and religious reasons and I don't think much changed over the years and even now.
I'm not talking about the author that creates something, but who decides that a certain painting is art and another one is garbage, who censures, who decides that something is not "fitting" to society and so on.

Hell even me and my brother have different tastes, there is a spenish photographer that had a gallery about death, the upclose of the feet of an hanged person, the severed head of an ox on a pedestal and other things like that.
I find these images disturbing, and even if I accept the fact that it may be art because my brother believes it so and the society agrees with him to the point of letting the author display such pictures, to me, is not considered art.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
They just did to vid games what they do to leftist and centrist for that matter. If they wanted to be intellectually honest (lol) something kin to Ico, Torment, and Nancy Drew would have ran in the splash.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Kaanyrvhok said:
They just did to vid games what they do to leftist and centrist for that matter. If they wanted to be intellectually honest (lol) something kin to Ico, Torment, and Nancy Drew would have ran in the splash.

Yes if the game has a lot of text and next-to-none gameplay it's art.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
MetalCraze said:
Kaanyrvhok said:

Yes if the game has a lot of text and next-to-none gameplay it's art.

But Ico had lots of gameplay...

hanssolo

Educated
TAXES!!1!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom