Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Four Horsemen of Incline - Underrail, Grimoire, Kenshi and KotC

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Realistically speaking, in the KS and post-KS era, there has only been a very few neoclassics.

This is something I briefly discussed with NecroLord, but in my opinion only Underrail, Grimoire, Kenshi and KotC (especially KotC 2 and the Hearkenwold module) are worthy of being called truly exceptional. Games remarkable in gameplay and design.

Nothing else comes close. But what I personally consider as honorary mentions are Escape from the Pit, Brigand: Oaxaca, Neoscavenger and Legend of Grimrock.

However, it is an incredible fact that all of these were made by small, passionate, indie teams. Including my selection of "honorary mentions."

What has AAA and AA produced? Trash and mediocrities.

Dorateen JarlFrank agris Gregz Tom Baker's Arse markec Dreed Cleveland Mark Blakemore Styg Infinitron

Snafkin

Novice
underrail and kotc2 are good to play at night, aaa games and multiplayer stuff you play at daytime because rpgs are too boring to play at daytime

Butter

Arcane
Patron
underrail and kotc2 are good to play at night, aaa games and multiplayer stuff you play at daytime because rpgs are too boring to play at daytime
First thing in the morning with a cup of tea is high time to play some KotC.

Gandalf

Arbiter
Yeah, they're all cool passion projects (with Escape from the Pit being a remake of a remake of a game from 1995).

Yeah, AAA and AA maybe made trash games, but perhaps those games sold better than passion projects.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
Realistically speaking, in the KS and post-KS era, there has only been a very few neoclassics.

This is something I briefly discussed with NecroLord, but in my opinion only Underrail, Grimoire, Kenshi and KotC (especially KotC 2 and the Hearkenwold module) are worthy of being called truly exceptional. Games remarkable in gameplay and design.

Nothing else comes close. But what I personally consider as honorary mentions are Escape from the Pit, Brigand: Oaxaca, Neoscavenger and Legend of Grimrock.

However, it is an incredible fact that all of these were made by small, passionate, indie teams. Including my selection of "honorary mentions."

Dorateen JarlFrank agris Gregz Tom Baker's Arse markec Dreed Cleveland Mark Blakemore Styg Infinitron
You say small indie teams but weren't at least three of them just one guy?

Gregz

Arcane

I agree with most of your post, and your games list. I do think KoTC 1 > KoTC2, however. I would also add Jupiter Hell to the list.

Last edited:

Gandalf

Arbiter
AAA and AA maybe made trash games, but perhaps those games sold better

Sure but not important for us gamers. How many copies a game has sold literally carries no implications on my enjoyment. Unless you are an industry whore like Roguey or Infinitron to whom that is important.
Yes, it's not important to me as well. I bet it is somehow important to the indie devs, because of game making being costly and time consuming. My point is expecting anything interesting from AAA and AA is nowdays a fantasy.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Underrail, Grimoire, Kenshi and KotC

One of these games, impressive though it may be, doesn't belong with the others.
Which one? They're all made by small teams or even solo devs, and each is a different subgenre of RPG.

Underrail - Fallout-like
Grimoire - blobber
Kenshi - open world explorefag RPG
KotC - tactical dungeon crawler

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Sure but not important for us gamers.
It is to the devs, and it is to the people who bought those games en masse.

It's like you don't even understand what's the point of AAA games. Big budget = lots of sales are needed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom