Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

For The Motherland

panzertoter said:
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
Has an expansion to a Paradox game ever made it worse?

Divine Wind, because you can't install Magna Mundi over it :M

Some truth there, but it made the base game better. I honestly think that was one expansion that didn't really need to be made.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Given it a spin now, a couple of things:

1) The game runs faster.
2) Minors are still shafted, I'm working on it.
3) Remember that fucking Parliamentary Scandal event? Now it happens more often and it's even worse.

Haven't tried playing as a resistance yet, but it seems the game crashes if you click the Theatres tab while you're a resistance.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
panzertoter said:
Has an expansion to a Paradox game ever made it worse?

Divine Wind, because you can't install Magna Mundi over it :M

Some truth there, but it made the base game better. I honestly think that was one expansion that didn't really need to be made.

It does make Hordes annoying asspricks that they were historically.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Malakal said:
HoI is the only series by Paradox that SHOULD include scripted events and situations. Due to the short timelane. No one wants a ww2 game without ww2. And history cant change that much in the scope of the game that events no longer make sense - one side can be simply way more succesful.

Actually no. When you can't gangrape USSR as USA and allies in a game due to heavy scripts and limitations it's stupid.

I was enjoying HoI3 up to a point where I started getting german mixed with soviet events attacking USSR while USSR was sending me reinforcements to attack USSR. And once in a while those USSR reinforcements were turning against me - which is when I realized that unless you play it historically there's absolutely no fun in the game at all.
Then in last dev interviews for FTM Paradox said that they limit stuff like when countries join the war even more harshly.

It's a huge pity because HoI3 has the best gameplay in Paradox's games so far.

There's not a bigger mistake for a game built around a lot of freedom of approach limiting the player in approaches even though other ones are perfectly viable.

MetalCraze said:
Malakal said:
HoI is the only series by Paradox that SHOULD include scripted events and situations. Due to the short timelane. No one wants a ww2 game without ww2. And history cant change that much in the scope of the game that events no longer make sense - one side can be simply way more succesful.

Actually no. When you can't gangrape USSR as USA and allies in a game due to heavy scripts and limitations it's stupid.

I was enjoying HoI3 up to a point where I started getting german mixed with soviet events attacking USSR while USSR was sending me reinforcements to attack USSR. And once in a while those USSR reinforcements were turning against me - which is when I realized that unless you play it historically there's absolutely no fun in the game at all.

I'm confused about this post.

Dirk Diggler

Scholar
I like the look of most things, but it seems like it's now even harder to play as 'minor' powers. I played a game as Sweden, hoping to join the Axis and conquer Scandinavia(Or at least Denmark and Norway, as getting military access from Finland is easy as Sweden) so that I could take the fight to the Russians along with the Germans.

However, since I can't lower my neutrality, it's more or less impossible to fight my neighbors until the game is almost over. It took long enough before, why mess with the ability to lower neutrality via spies, was it really that abusable?

I mean hell, the game that I just played before this one was as Argentina, it took me until very late in 1940 to be able to declare war on Uruguay when I had 10 spies lowering my neutrality and 10 raising their threat. And that scenario was certainly a lot more historically plausible than the Scandinavian one, but I'm not even sure that I could do it now.

I still wish that Finland wasn't so gimped, I might just mod the files myself to cheat them into a better position...

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
So basically they copied restrictions from latest Sempre fi. I hated neutrality levels of Chinese minors.

Renegen

Arcane
Tell me about it. I wanted so bad to take part in the Chinese civil war, until I realized it was completely broken. Communist China's economy was so thoroughly broken, they didn't even have enough production to pay for supplies.

By the way... has anyone else noticed how useless Tacticular Cancer news posts have been lately? I'm tired of seeing Pride of Nations Released at the top of my screen.

How much faster does it run, seems like the big feature is the one promised for the last expansion, multi-threading? Have to get it soon...

Dies Irae: Götterdämmerung DLC was really fun as well, first time a DLC was worth paying for, does it work with FTM yet?

Apparently not yet

Erzherzog

Magister
CarnivalBizarre said:
How much faster does it run, seems like the big feature is the one promised for the last expansion, multi-threading? Have to get it soon...

Dies Irae: Götterdämmerung DLC was really fun as well, first time a DLC was worth paying for, does it work with FTM yet?

Apparently not yet

I noticed the game loading initially much faster. Not sure how much faster it runs at the heoght of ww2.

Vaarna_Aarne

Dirk Diggler said:
I still wish that Finland wasn't so gimped, I might just mod the files myself to cheat them into a better position...
No need to worry, I'm working on this stuff myself. I'm adding leaders next, the improved events and decisions for the Winter War are almost done (gonna add in an event for Kaisa Kallio and her humanitarian work to raise national unity, and keep on balancing the start-up event looted from ICE to enable historical force strengths), after which I'll add in more leaders (as stats provided by GarfunkeL) and eventually add in events to give historical elections.

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Vaarna, add a molotov cocktail event that gives your militia/infantry a small amount of extra hard attack. Should be nice for flavor.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Do Poland next.

I always found minors to be underepresented and underpowered. Especially Poland, Finland, and Balkan ones that had some contributions to the war effort.

Garm

Learned
Hey Vaarna, do you know if it's possible to change the neutrality system to allow spies to lower it again? I really hate how they removed that. I'm guessing they hard-coded that change into the exe though, right? Or is it just in a LUA file somewhere?

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Well, bollocks to them. New patch messed up minors even further, I doubt you'll be able to declare war on anyone without putting all your leadership in spies for 7 years.

I'll just wait for ICE or HPP to fix it before playing it again.

Vaarna_Aarne

Sulimo said:
Well, bollocks to them. New patch messed up minors even further, I doubt you'll be able to declare war on anyone without putting all your leadership in spies for 7 years.

I'll just wait for ICE or HPP to fix it before playing it again.
I wouldn't rely entirely on them. Both projects are first and foremost focused on the majors, with only Finland getting a bit of attention in ICE (the runner-up is Hungary, with a whopping extra of getting new shitty cores and death events for ministers).

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I like my nationalist China games, and that theatre is pretty decently done in HPP. But seriously, 3.03 has more bugs and facepalm design decisions than 3.02, only Paradox can screw stuff up with hotfixes.

Vaarna_Aarne

Malakal said:
Do Poland next.
As long as I'm provided with information (such as more accurate industrial, manpower and resource data, more generals with pics if you're feeling helpful, politicians, election results, more events, new decisions and such), since I'm not overly familiar with Polish history.

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Untill they patch the most glaring errors:
Minors: Blows.
Majors: Meh.

After they patch:
Minors: Blows.
Majors: Rocks.

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Darkrenown said:
HoI is about WWII, minor nations are very much a seconardly concern.

And that's how Paradox reacts to complaints such as mine. They're honest, but damn, salt in the wounds much?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom