Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

For programmers: Which scripting language is better and why?

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Re: For programmers: Which scripting language is better and

SCO said:
It is truly moronic to start a engine recreation project and don't use the scripting language that the original game and mods used

Pretty much this.

If they really have to change the scripting language, Lua would be a far better choice than Javascript or C#, but this still has the problem of requiring a rewrite of everything.

thursdayschild

Educated
villain of the story said:
You keep telling yourself that, lazy asshole. You can't even bring yourself to admit that you have become a soul-wretched entity who has stopped caring about anything much less RPGs. And why so desperate to claim that someone other than you is butthurt? Sounds like a typical case of butthurt to me :smug:

Like dancing with a million angels.

thursdayschild

Educated

SCO said:
Ninja Cartographer said:
The ToEE Engine recreation project guy extended the question at Co8, and I thought it wouldn't hurt if some of the programming geeks here weighed in.

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?p=107873

It is truly moronic to start a engine recreation project

Actually, you could have stopped here. I can see it for an old and simple game. These guys just have no idea what they are in for, and using unity engine they will never get more than 10% done for a project like this, and that's being generous. Of course they will show some characters inengine right away and impress people but this will never go anywhere.

eclectocrat

Novice
Lua. Pro game devs have been using Lua since the mid 90's.

Why?
- Fast, Small
- Really easy to integrate into an engine, unlike Python
- Easy to understand
- Supports a wide variety of programming styles

Python is too difficult to integrate and very heavy (not so good for phone games), but if you manage to get it done, it's also pretty sweet.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

thursdayschild said:
SCO said:
Ninja Cartographer said:
The ToEE Engine recreation project guy extended the question at Co8, and I thought it wouldn't hurt if some of the programming geeks here weighed in.

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?p=107873

It is truly moronic to start a engine recreation project

Actually, you could have stopped here. I can see it for an old and simple game. These guys just have no idea what they are in for, and using unity engine they will never get more than 10% done for a project like this, and that's being generous. Of course they will show some characters inengine right away and impress people but this will never go anywhere.

I didn't want to discourage them. Who knows? Maybe in 5 years they can make something more or less complete like the exult/gemrb. They have the original rules and file formats, and don't have to make a compiler/interpreter and decompiler for the scripts that is half-way there.

Oh dude above me, do you know how troika integrated the "complex" python language in bloodlines (after ToEE)?

They called two functions in the very high level code scripting interface of the python C api. One was for conversations and returned a bool (as a float because by that time, python hadn't a bool). The other was the file interpreter that was run on the maps load for the map python script (available to be called by triggers on the map). It returned a string (compile error or stdout), that would be redirected to the game console. Actual communication with game engine functions were with python bindings, which are a pointer, a description and a module away - though at that time, i suspect it was harder (except converting the python type to the c type with PyArg_ParseTuple function in the bindings).

Ultra complex this.

zenbitz

Scholar
FORTRAN

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom