Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FOnline #2: The floodgates have been opened, content unknown

Important ingame buttons:
F6 to illuminate player names
F1 for help

Further information:
http://nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

Step 1: Install Fallout 2 (language doesn`t matter, but i think it has to be unpatched(?) try it patched before reinstalling)

Step 2: Download the client here: http://fonline.ru/foclient.zip
Note: You`ll have to turn on refeerer or to turn off/on some other browser stuff or else you wont have the correct file size: 34 MB

Step 3: Unpack the archive anywhere on your harddrive. Open the folder and start the "FOConfig.exe" .

a) Other: Set the language to english
b) Game: Locate the master.dat and critter.dat on your system
c) Game: Keyboard language switch, keep this in mind if you write other things than the sign on your keyboard
c) Net: Here you can enter the IP of the FOnline server
The standard server: 77.50.0.25 Port 4000 (you should be playing here)
The alternative server: 213.170.70.111 Same Port (if the other one crashes)
d) Video: Set your resolution/play in fullscreen. Customize the other options as you want.

Click: Save

Step 4: If you want the original Fallout 2 ambience soundtrack.

Copy the content of the "Fallout2\data\sound\music\" from the original Fallout into the "FOnline\data\sound\music\" folder. If you don't do that then you'll have no original music in the game.

Step 5: Start "FOnline.exe"
Register your character: SPECIAL screen. Set password and nick.

Recommended Character:
Luck 1
Charisma 1

Usefull skills:
All combat skills, Barter, Steal, Repair, FirstAid/Doctor

Codex:
Radio channel: 2 (english players)
Codex: 555 (probably empty)

Nicknames:
SC (me) = Hulk1 or Hulk2 ... or HulkX
WhiskeyWolf = Wolfsomething
Brazilian Slaughter = Slaughtersomething

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Awesome... unfortunately I will be away for the next 2 days, fuck.

Ok, there site isn't exacly transparent - what is needed besides FO2? There modification for sure and are there issues if you use different ver. - language and 1.02?

You just need FO2, language doesn`t matter. Last time i played it with the german unpatched version, so maybe you`ll have to reinstall it. I`ll update this thread with a "how to install" tomorrow.

PS: Join me and you shall be rewarded with phat loot! In 2 days i`ll probably have collected some armor and guns, so just holla at me if you need some starting gear Wolf.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
I will gladly join you on your quest for "phat loot" and "all you can rape".

Right now I'm using the 1.05 PL patch and I have to say that this games has a shit load of bugs.

I played the first test, and it was awesome. I hope they made intelectual stats and speech more useful.

Some hints from what I saw in the first test (don't be surprised if they aren't worth that much in the current beta, but hey, hints are hints):

Gun skills are good, but secondary. Ammo was so scarce (not enough bullets to go around) that I rarely saw people gunning each other, and you needed about three levels until you had enough levels to shoot like someone who know what he was doing. Stay away from Burst Mode unless you know what are you doing. Unarmed and Melee is where it is at. Both only require ammo for certain weapons (Power Fist, Cattle Prod, Ripper), they start at a % higher than all other combat skills and it's fairly easy to find some spiked knuckles or a spear around.

Watch out for ANYONE SPEAKING RUSSIAN! Most of them are what we call Russian PKers. They're the FOnline Player-Controlled equivalent to Raiders, Gang-bangers, psycopaths, Feral Niggers, whatever atacks you randomly to loot your stuff. They are merciless, bloodthirsty and EEEEEEVIL. I'm not kidding. Your best bet against those MONSTERS is to find a group to tag along with. But watch out, they also team up.

Watch out for ANYONE ELSE! Remember the steal skill? It works wonders in FOnline. Don't be surprised if your gun disappears and your bullets go missing while some possibly-russian feller goes away in the opposite direction. Stealing from other players is a good idea if you know what are you doing, otherwise you are probrably going to be punched in the face. Don't let anyone unknown stay near you or you will find something missing.

Repair is a pretty useful skill. You can gain some money from repairing stuff for people. This also is helpful to any group you happen to tag along, as you can be their repairman.

Be careful. Some places are relatively quiet. The Den, where players begin, is insanely chaotic. Expect to be atacked by someone at any time, at any moment and in any place. If you need to do something in The Den, be careful, stick to your companions and watch out for any thieves.

People in Power Armor and using guns should be avoided unless you know they are friendly. Some people get powermad and start to Player Kill en masse. Wearing Power Armor makes you powerful, not invencible. If YOU wear Power Armor, expect to be atacked, although players are not fools and will only atack if they have the proper guns (Like Gauss Rifles and Power Fists).

Radios can be used to communicate with people. Just type Shift + R before typing (that's what I remember)

Joining groups is a good idea. I, of course, recommend the Unity, the sole hope for security and happiness in the wastelands. The Unity, you see, is a group that preserves the legacy of the Master. The Unity is fair and just and we atack only if provoked. Just holler to me if you want to join, I can recommend ya to Morpheus-Grayswandir, he's the leader.

The servers are up, anybody who wants to join is welcome. I`ll update the thread on "how-to-join". Post your ingame nick here.
I will gladly join you on your quest for "phat loot" and "all you can rape".
I just failed miserably at this quest.

Watch out for ANYONE SPEAKING RUSSIAN! Most of them are what we call Russian PKers. They're the FOnline Player-Controlled equivalent to Raiders, Gang-bangers, psycopaths, Feral Niggers, whatever atacks you randomly to loot your stuff. They are merciless, bloodthirsty and EEEEEEVIL. I'm not kidding. Your best bet against those MONSTERS is to find a group to tag along with. But watch out, they also team up.
Hehe yes. As for teaming up, is there a place in the unity left? Of course...err I`m sharing the ideology of the unity.. phat loot `n keeping the peace with guns. Which server are you playing and what`s the radio channel? (PM me if you want to avoid russian spies).

Some impressions:
-Travelling is still very very slow (The way to play this game is to chat over the radio or by browsing the internet while doing it)
-A lot of things are untranslated but not everything (You only get the real experience by teaming up and roleplaying)
-A lot of things are expensive (Finding phat loot is mandatory)
-If you die, you loose all your stuff(you can save items/money on a bank or something/haven`t figured it out yet)

Cthulhugoat said:
Nope. I can't get out of "jail" or however you call that turret place. =/
Yuo suck. "XAXAXAXAXA" - to quote a russian player. It took me maybe three tries to figure out how to pass through them without getting killed. On my second playthrough i yelled something like "Omaha Beach - rush!" and others followed, half of them were killed. The best way to figure it out is to observe others. You basically have to walk through the left side and before the turret can fire you turn left behind the safe wall.

The respawn concept is stupid though. Getting killed = A replica of your character is produced = Costs money => you have debts (-1000 caps) for example and every new replica costs more money. And with those debts i think you can`t never save your ingame money on a bank.

@Whiskey, no need to hurry unless you are eager to get frustrated from playing it.

I have found out that charisma is important now. Without it people can`t follow you on the worldmap. I think Charisma 2 = 1 guy can follow you. Charisma 3 = two guys... etc. Not sure.

Cthulhugoat

Arbiter
Heheheh, yeah, after many painful minutes I managed to "XAXAXA RUSH" my way out. Goddamn, the game's tough. After an hour playing I couldn't even afford a spear.

Also, is there any quest available in english at all?

I think there are quests, but due to the sometimes nonexistant translation you can`t find out where and how to solve them. Yesterday i pressed one of those "Text not found" - dialogue choices and that NPC dude tried to kill me.

Okay here`s the ultimate "How to avoid the turret" - guide:
1. Make sure the turret is not in fightning position => keep an eye on the turret on how it is animated.
2. Position yourself on the left corner or the right corner in front of the gate/walls you have to pass through.
3. If you see the turret is not ready, it means now is a good moment to click on the other side of the gate. If you started at the left, walk left. Now the turret goes into fighting position, before it can shoot you just need to to walk behind the wall.
4. Done (Hint: Punching other players makes the turret angry.)

Added advice: Only click once to the other side, don`t chicken walk.

For anyone just starting the game: Go to The Cathedral. It is located five squares north of Modoc. It's the refuge of english-speaking players. The Unity and others live there and help eachother. They all speak english, too.

Also, my nickname is Slaughter## (number is for my character. I am on my third character and I think I'll stick with him though the end)

EDIT: I am pretty stron at level 2 right now. Made a character that is pretty much The God of Punching Shit Up. Okay, Demi-God, yet, but wait until I get armor and level 3! Right now, I can beat a Golden Gecko with my bare hands. Not bad, huh?

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Dark Individual said:
So this is basically Russians vs Englishmen?

As it's supposed to be.

pinky_brain.gif

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Okey, I'm WWWolf. Where are you guys?

EDIT: Shit! I went into a hole in BHills and a shit load of ants killed me before I could say "Fuck!".

EDIT #2: My radio staed with the ants.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
The server just went belly-up, BTW where is the Cathedral?

Cthulhugoat

Arbiter
Slaughter said:
For anyone just starting the game: Go to The Cathedral. It is located five squares north of Modoc. It's the refuge of english-speaking players. The Unity and others live there and help eachother. They all speak english, too.

Modoc itself is northeast of Redding.

Cathedral is five or four squares north of modoc. This is kinda the english players meeting place. The south is pretty much dominated by russians.

Cgoat i kinda lost you later, thought you were heading Broken Hills.

So this is basically Russians vs Englishmen?
Sometimes yes. Everone has his own fetish. Some kill because they`re maniacs, others to get phat loot.

What i like is that skills are more important than in the first test, although very unbalanced. Only people with high picklock skills can manage to open up things. Without the bartering skill, the prices are usually 500$ for a simple radio. Charisma determines how many people you can lead on the worldmap.

Edit: I`m now a proud member of unity, jay!

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Cathedral the last bastion of English speaking folk MY ASS! Went into the building and got blown away by 3 russians armed with rifles and a hammer.

Oh god, this game really hates the player with a passion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom